• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

emt depot drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
Woohoo, I got an invite today too.
I'm hopefully down for the Thursday Afternoon session, but I have not long sent the E-mail off as I have been at work since 7 o clock this morning.
Everything crossed.
I'm off to do some more work on my practice exercises.

-------EDIT------

Confirmed on the Thursday Afternoon session, so if any of you guys are going to this session....See you there.

Last edited:

BelperKez

I sat the test 5 years ago and wondered if anybody could quickly highlight the differences of the new tests. I know I can research stuff on the forum and wouldn't want anybody else to do that for me so just a quick answer will be gratefully accepted. Back then I did the bourdon dots / Glopp memory test / mechanics test / fast reactions on a computer with colours and tones to react to / short interview asking about examples where I have .... . I understand there is a yellow pages type thing with tones now. TIA Kerry

Dynamonic

I sat the test 5 years ago and wondered if anybody could quickly highlight the differences of the new tests. I know I can research stuff on the forum and wouldn't want anybody else to do that for me so just a quick answer will be gratefully accepted. Back then I did the bourdon dots / Glopp memory test / mechanics test / fast reactions on a computer with colours and tones to react to / short interview asking about examples where I have .... . I understand there is a yellow pages type thing with tones now. TIA Kerry

Hi there Kerry,

The new tests containing the following:

Stage1

Group Bourdon

The same as what you did previously, but this will be on paper.

TRP Part 1: Following Rules & Procedures

This is the GLOP test that you altready know, and the test I sat at my assessment. However, I have heard that some people may have different topics to GLOP.

TRP Part 2: Dials

Again, the same as what you've done already.

TEA-Occ Part 1

One of the new tests. This involves counting low tones played over a CD player. There are about two tones a second, mainly made up of distracting high tones.

TEA-Occ Part 2

In this test, you find pairs of matching symbols (as listed on a card you will be provided) on a large A3 sized 'Yellow Pages.' You pretend you are finding a plumber, or technician, and are supposed to highlight the company listings which have symbols that match with your card.

TEA-Occ Part 3

In this test, you will find the same symbols on a different 'Yellow Pages,' whilst at the same time counting audio tones. This time, there are no high or low tones, just the same tone repeatedly. When asked to record the answer for the number of tones you have hears, you will stop finding symbols and write down your answer. The CD will then tell you when to repeat the process again.

Stage 2

WAFV

This replaces the reaction test you would have done. You stare at a white screen which has a small flashing grey square in it. You have to hammer the 'Green' button as quickly as you can on your keyboard everytime the square changes to 'Black.' (This occurs about once every 1.5 minutes) This test is 30 minutes in length with no pause.)

ATAVT

In this test, pictures flash up on the screen for a maximum of 2 seconds. When the picture disappears, you have to select whether you saw pedestrians, motor vehicles, bikes, road signs or traffic lights. There may be one or more of them in each picture. You select as many as you recall seeing using numbered keys on the keyboard. There are about 27 pictures in all.

Two-Hand Coordination Test

In this test, you use two joysticks, one controlling left and right movement and the other controlling up and down movement, to guide a red dot around a very small and tight track. The joysticks are VERY sensitive. If you go out the track even partially, you will hear a buzzer, and you will be negatively marked. You have to return the ball to the track as quickly as possible. You have to guide the ball around the same track about 17 times.

If you pass the above assessments, you will then do:

Situational Judgement Exercise

You will be presented with about 28 scenarios and actions. On a scale ranging from 'Very Helpful' to 'Very Unhelpful,' you have to determine your preference for the actions listed. On its own, there are no wrong answers in this test, but it will be used to determine your character when combined with your performance in the Multi-Modal Interview.

Multi-Modal Interview

This is an interview in which you will be asked about six situations you have been in, and how they are relevant to the Train Driver role. You will fill in a 'Pre-Interview Form' (at the start of Stage 2) and you will be asked deep, and probing questions about all of your listed examples. (You will be found out if you lie, trust me.) These examples are based around following procedures, emergencies, roles you do that are similar etc.
You will also be asked several hypothetical questions at times, linking with the answers you have already provided.

As some people have stated, the interview is deep, and very strictly controlled, but not a grilling. If you provide answers that the interviewer feels won't score highly, you may be asked for another. You may also change your listed examples if you suddenly remember a better one.

I hope all this helps. :D

Last edited:

BelperKez

that is so useful thanks.

I have read that the dials test is more complex than the practice material. The practice material just asks you to order arrows on 3 different shades in the correct order but some have written that there are grades within the shades that have to be prioritised. Can anyone confirm what they have had to do on dials.

thanks again and good luck to everyone doing their tests.

Kerry

andrew_evans

I am booked in for Friday afternoon!! :D Anyone know about the pay scales? Been looking through all the paper work and the original advert and I can not see anything mentioned unless I missed something.

Dynamonic

that is so useful thanks.

I have read that the dials test is more complex than the practice material. The practice material just asks you to order arrows on 3 different shades in the correct order but some have written that there are grades within the shades that have to be prioritised. Can anyone confirm what they have had to do on dials.

thanks again and good luck to everyone doing their tests.

Kerry

Yeah, the actual Dials test contains numerical scales, as well as four shaded areas as opposed to three.

Like in the practice material, you will priortise the shaded areas. However, if you find that there are two or more dials with their arrows pointing in the same shade of grey, you will have to refer to the numbers outside the dials and prioritise them from the lowest number to the highest number.

The numbers are different dial to dial, so you cannot judge the priority just by looking at the direction the arrows are pointing within the shaded areas, you have to look carefully at the numbers.

Basically, look first at the shades the arrows are in, then look at the numbers when you have two or more dials with matching shades.

Also, don't worry if you don't finish the test. There are 43 questions, but you will only have the time for under 30 of them. I got to about 27 and passed. Just make sure you understand the test and what you're looking for before the tests start.

You will get practice examples on the day too, this time with the four shaded areas and the numerical scales. The invigilator will probably check to make sure you understand what you're doing too. :)

andrew evans, I don't know what exactly the pay is, but I have heard it's within the range of £28,000-£32,000. I have seen all sorts of figures thrown around regarding pay, so we probably won't find out for certain until the DM interview. I have also read somewhere on this forum that the full salary is from day one of training, but whether that's changed or not I don't know.

I'd accept any pay for this role though, lol. :D

Last edited:

DB Driver029

Congrats to everyone who we're accepted in this thread! If you check on DB Schenkers section for Train Drivers you will notice that they stipulate and favour people from other professions . You also need certain qualifications. Failing that established Drivers from other TOCs (quiet a few coming from passenger TOCs into DB now.)

With a Foot on the Ladder prepare for the onslaught of Rules/Regs/Operational procedures etc etc etc! Hopefully you ll keep us updated on your progress? Good luck.

BelperKez

Hi there Kerry,

The new tests containing the following:

Stage1

Group Bourdon

The same as what you did previously, but this will be on paper.

TRP Part 1: Following Rules & Procedures

This is the GLOP test that you altready know, and the test I sat at my assessment. However, I have heard that some people may have different topics to GLOP.

TRP Part 2: Dials

Again, the same as what you've done already.

TEA-Occ Part 1

One of the new tests. This involves counting low tones played over a CD player. There are about two tones a second, mainly made up of distracting high tones.

TEA-Occ Part 2

In this test, you find pairs of matching symbols (as listed on a card you will be provided) on a large A3 sized 'Yellow Pages.' You pretend you are finding a plumber, or technician, and are supposed to highlight the company listings which have symbols that match with your card.

TEA-Occ Part 3

In this test, you will find the same symbols on a different 'Yellow Pages,' whilst at the same time counting audio tones. This time, there are no high or low tones, just the same tone repeatedly. When asked to record the answer for the number of tones you have hears, you will stop finding symbols and write down your answer. The CD will then tell you when to repeat the process again.

Stage 2

WAFV

This replaces the reaction test you would have done. You stare at a white screen which has a small flashing grey square in it. You have to hammer the 'Green' button as quickly as you can on your keyboard everytime the square changes to 'Black.' (This occurs about once every 1.5 minutes) This test is 30 minutes in length with no pause.)

ATAVT

In this test, pictures flash up on the screen for a maximum of 2 seconds. When the picture disappears, you have to select whether you saw pedestrians, motor vehicles, bikes, road signs or traffic lights. There may be one or more of them in each picture. You select as many as you recall seeing using numbered keys on the keyboard. There are about 27 pictures in all.

Two-Hand Coordination Test

In this test, you use two joysticks, one controlling left and right movement and the other controlling up and down movement, to guide a red dot around a very small and tight track. The joysticks are VERY sensitive. If you go out the track even partially, you will hear a buzzer, and you will be negatively marked. You have to return the ball to the track as quickly as possible. You have to guide the ball around the same track about 17 times.

If you pass the above assessments, you will then do:

Situational Judgement Exercise

You will be presented with about 28 scenarios and actions. On a scale ranging from 'Very Helpful' to 'Very Unhelpful,' you have to determine your preference for the actions listed. On its own, there are no wrong answers in this test, but it will be used to determine your character when combined with your performance in the Multi-Modal Interview.

Multi-Modal Interview

This is an interview in which you will be asked about six situations you have been in, and how they are relevant to the Train Driver role. You will fill in a 'Pre-Interview Form' (at the start of Stage 2) and you will be asked deep, and probing questions about all of your listed examples. (You will be found out if you lie, trust me.) These examples are based around following procedures, emergencies, roles you do that are similar etc.
You will also be asked several hypothetical questions at times, linking with the answers you have already provided.

As some people have stated, the interview is deep, and very strictly controlled, but not a grilling. If you provide answers that the interviewer feels won't score highly, you may be asked for another. You may also change your listed examples if you suddenly remember a better one.

I hope all this helps. :D
All this including MM interview on same day ?

Kerry

Dynamonic

All this including MM interview on same day ?

Kerry

Don't worry! They're on different days.

You'll do all the Stage 1 tests first (Group Bourdon, TRP & TEA-Occ), and if successful you'll be invited back another day to do the Stage 2 tests (WAFV, ATAVT and 2Hand).

If successful at the Stage 2 computerised tests, you'll do the SJE and MMI straight after, on the same day.

Sorry about the confusion! :D

mick dundee

Yipeeee!.....pasted the first stage of stage 2 and had my interview.
6 of us sat the test,1 of us didn't make the interview.nice guy too.
So just sit and wait now.one more stage 2 on 28th I think.

Pilgrim

sounds good Mick. I have my stage 1 tomorrow. Good luck anyone on tomorrow or Friday

mick dundee

Good juck pilgrim.just listen carefully to what they say is the best advice I can say..I'm sure you will do fine.

Pilgrim

That wasn't too bad. The group bourdon was the worst part I found. Good luck for tomorrow. :D

LowLevel

Established Member
Another bit of advice - don't sit there in silence not talking to anyone if you can avoid it. Natter a bit with your fellow candidates and the staff, it will give a good impression of you to the assessors.

Dynamonic

Another bit of advice - don't sit there in silence not talking to anyone if you can avoid it. Natter a bit with your fellow candidates and the staff, it will give a good impression of you to the assessors.

Not to mention it will ease your nerves and improve your confidence! :)

BelperKez

Quite concerned that i messed the duals up today. I used a note taking method which was accurate but slow, only did 20!. Everything else went well. Hope they take an average.

Status
Not open for further replies.