• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT poor service for northbound passengers from London

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

Sheffield to London weekdays
05:31, 06:23, 06:49, 07:29, 07:46, 08:26 all offer First Class passengers a cooked breakfast.
London to Sheffield weekdays
05:52, 06:23, 07:32 No breakfast
08:02 (could also apply to later services) there is a cooked breakfast for First Class passengers BUT in only one of the two units operating the service.
Why do early morning passengers going north from London to Sheffield get such a raw deal compared to those coming south?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Majority of people are travelling into London at that time rather than towards Sheffield

cuccir

Established Member
There's general demand - more people want to travel to London for the day than from London to elsewhere in the country. It's the same all over eg there are 17 services from Birmingham to London leaving before 08:00, and 10 services the other way.

With catering I don't know if that also is affected by where EMT have staff and suppliers - but from the pattern you describe it might seem likely?

NoOnesFool

I think it could be a good idea for TOCs in general to appeal to customers travelling northbound from London more. The problems are things like predicted journey patterns, i.e. more people will travel from Loughborough to London and return, as opposed to the other way round. Some companies like Hull Trains don't even employ staff at the London end, making it difficult to provide a full catering service on early morning northbound trains, without staff lodging in hotels or making very long taxi journeys.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That seems a decent service - surely the money flows the others way at those times?

BTW is this wonderful cooked breakfast offered to those of us in scum class?

cactustwirly

Established Member
I think it could be a good idea for TOCs in general to appeal to customers travelling northbound from London more. The problems are things like predicted journey patterns, i.e. more people will travel from Loughborough to London and return, as opposed to the other way round. Some companies like Hull Trains don't even employ staff at the London end, making it difficult to provide a full catering service on early morning northbound trains, without staff lodging in hotels or making very long taxi journeys.

But the breakfast service costs money, there's no point spending money for a service used by a small amount of people.

NoOnesFool

That seems a decent service - surely the money flows the others way at those times?

BTW is this wonderful cooked breakfast offered to those of us in scum class?
Assuming you're referring to Standard Class, there are some hot options, including MOMA Porridge, hot Bacon Ciabattas and some cold breakfast items, such as fresh pastries and fruit juices.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Assuming you're referring to Standard Class, there are some hot options, including MOMA Porridge, hot Bacon Ciabattas and some cold breakfast items, such as fresh pastries and fruit juices.

Microwaved roll prepared to fresh cooked first class breakfast? Sorry. Not going to cry that first classers cant get their freebies.

The train service seems adequate to me.

Last edited:

mpthomson

Microwaved roll prepared to fresh cooked first class breakfast? Sorry. Not going to cry that first classers cant get their freebies.

They aren't 'free', they're accounted for via the higher ticket price.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Why don't you try First Class one day? It is often quite affordable via Advances and Weekend First. You might even like it! :)

Robertj21a

On Moderation

For the length of the journey, surely you just need a snack before you get on board, or take a sandwich with you ?

NoOnesFool

For the length of the journey, surely you just need a snack before you get on board, or take a sandwich with you ?
It can be the best part of 2 hours from London to Sheffield, and many passengers appreciate the opportunity to purchase on board. It all adds to the appeal of rail travel, compared to car/coach travel.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It can be the best part of 2 hours from London to Sheffield, and many passengers appreciate the opportunity to purchase on board. It all adds to the appeal of rail travel, compared to car/coach travel.

Quite, it's only 2 hours. Hardly needs a cooked meal does it !

Established Member
Quite, it's only 2 hours. Hardly needs a cooked meal does it !
I'm not sure about you but I for one don't fancy a full a English at 4am however come to 6.30 or 7am having been up for a few hours I'd be more inclined to want a decent breakfast, especially if I have paid the extra ticket cost for it.

gazthomas

Established Member
There's a Wetherspoons opening up in St Pancras shortly, so you can pop in there for a cheap brekkie before departure

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Weekend first won't have a cooked breakfast though will it?

I was just trying to cure him of his irrational, almost class-war-like hatred of 1st :)

Personally I use it when it is good value, I wouldn't be buying FORs any time soon (and even the First Off Peaks some TOCs do are too pricey) but sometimes it is nice and reasonably cheap.

Taunton

Established Member
As one who does many business trips outwards from London, out morning back evening, I too am dismayed by the "one way" TOC approach to catering. It's not as if the fares are any less. And getting to St Pancras (or other termini), on average, takes those from London longet to get there from their home starting point than from the northern points. You also get a lot of overseas business travellers on the early morning departures.

Never happened with BR. Same, proper service both ways.

Iskra

Established Member
EMT sell specific 1st Breakfast Advances, which are not cheap.

If you buy one of these tickets, I think you can feel aggrieved if you don’t get one. (Although I did not complain on one occasion where it was breakfast sandwiches only).

If you want a breakfast heading north out of London, join the fresh air on the LNER services and change at Doncaster.

The EMT breakfast is one of the best meals on the network, except the Premier Service and GWR Pullman.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
EMT do not offer a "poor service" in respect of the catering mentioned on this thread.

Indeed, most train companies will not provide a service as good as this at any time.

There aren't many trains that offer a cooked breakfast at all on a weekend!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
As one who does many business trips outwards from London, out morning back evening, I too am dismayed by the "one way" TOC approach to catering. It's not as if the fares are any less. And getting to St Pancras (or other termini), on average, takes those from London longet to get there from their home starting point than from the northern points. You also get a lot of overseas business travellers on the early morning departures.

I think BR was rather a while ago now !!

Time moves on.........

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Why do early morning passengers going north from London to Sheffield get such a raw deal compared to those coming south?
Can't remember whether it happened towards the end of MML or during Stagecoach's tenure, but the short answer is that the catering crews who do the breakfast service are now all based at the Northern end of the route, rather than having some based at St Pancras.

tom73

EMT do not offer a "poor service" in respect of the catering mentioned on this thread.

Indeed, most train companies will not provide a service as good as this at any time.

There aren't many trains that offer a cooked breakfast at all on a weekend!
Nobody mentioned weekends.
I have eaten many delicious cooked breakfasts on the 05:50 King's Cross-Leeds service, now running 5 minutes later at 05:55.
Virgin Trains also advertise a cooked breakfast on early morning London-Birmingham/Wolverhampton services
EMT is the only one of the three long distance northbound routes from London not offering a First Class cooked breakfast on its first trains of the day
Aside from GWR (never tried), I would not expect a cooked breakfast on any other operator's services

mmh

Established Member

That's not true, BR had many routes with enhanced service in the peak direction only. Most of the current "named" trains are a relic of that.

Darandio

Established Member
Nobody mentioned weekends.
I have eaten many delicious cooked breakfasts on the 05:50 King's Cross-Leeds service, now running 5 minutes later at 05:55.
Virgin Trains also advertise a cooked breakfast on early morning London-Birmingham/Wolverhampton services
EMT is the only one of the three long distance northbound routes from London not offering a First Class cooked breakfast on its first trains of the day
Aside from GWR (never tried), I would not expect a cooked breakfast on any other operator's services

I still don't believe it constitutes 'poor service'.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Sheffield to London weekdays
05:31, 06:23, 06:49, 07:29, 07:46, 08:26 all offer First Class passengers a cooked breakfast.
London to Sheffield weekdays
05:52, 06:23, 07:32 No breakfast
08:02 (could also apply to later services) there is a cooked breakfast for First Class passengers BUT in only one of the two units operating the service.

For those comparing with BR, in 1993, at the peak of InterCity under Chris Green, the first train from London to Sheffield was the 0700. This was an ‘InterCity Shuttle’ with trolley service of snacks and hot drinks at seat. There was a buffet, no doubt with the ubiquitous burger. Only the 0800 to Sheffield had a restaurant service at that time of day. Later northbound restaurant services were back workings of early Up trains.

Stations facilities at St Pancras were rather dire in those far off days. In 2018 we are reallly spoilt for choice for a nice carry-on snack.

LowLevel

Established Member
A fresh Sourced Market pastry for breakfast is enough of a treat for me if you happen to be travelling north from St P in the morning anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.