• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT unspecified seat reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I went to my local Merseyrail station to buy my tickets for Saturday and reserve seats on trains from Liverpool to Alfreton and back. I was given reservations for my two trains but neither had an actual seat allocated. They just seemed to be some sort of permit to travel on those two workings. So assuming prospective turn-up-and-go passengers are not turned away, what is the point of "reserving"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I went to my local Merseyrail station to buy my tickets for Saturday and reserve seats on trains from Liverpool to Alfreton and back. I was given reservations for my two trains but neither had an actual seat allocated. They just seemed to be some sort of permit to travel on those two workings. So assuming prospective turn-up-and-go passengers are not turned away, what is the point of "reserving"?
It’s a counted place reservation - they really have been very common for quite a while. As you suggest it’s to limit you to that train.

Skymonster

Established Member
It’s pointless, because on your way back if the train is rammed when it arrives at Alfreton (with passengers who have walk on tickets) it won’t make a jot of difference if you have a reservation.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you have bought Advance tickets, the reservations are to confirm which train you are booked on. If you bought a flexible ticket they are a meaningless waste of paper.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I nearly always buy flexible tickets, splitting where advantageous. Travel on Advance tickets is far too stressful.

I can't see the staff on the barrier at Lime Street checking whether passengers have reservations for the Norwich train. There are too many trains leaving the barriered platforms 1-6 at any one time for this to be feasible. And I suspect they would be reluctant to try turn away large numbers of Tranmere supporters going to Mansfield with there currently being a two hour gap in services on Saturday mornings.

I believe that Alfreton is unstaffed apart from the man in the ticket office which will be closed by the time I set off back.

So perhaps these meaningless reservations are issued simply to collect data for their SeatFinder tool?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If Advance tickets are offered for sale on a particular train then seat reservations have to be available on the train so that the train company can tell you to travel on a specific service.

On trains that historically don't have specific seat reservations (often local or regional trains rather than traditional inter-city trains) they do this by giving you a counted place reservation, which doesn't actually give you a specific seat.

The problem is if a train has seat reservations available in the system then they will be offered to people purchasing flexible tickets but this is totally meaningless as you don't actually get a seat.

We currently have a farcical situation on Thameslink where counted place seat reservations are available on their trains but they don't sell any Advance tickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.