• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emulate Eurostar Business Pricing/Service on Long Distance Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I'm wondering if there would be a market for a mid-priced 1st class fare on ECML and WCML which gave the seat but none of the other benefits - lounge or food. You could sell the carriage between 1st and Standard as "Standard Plus" or the like.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm wondering if there would be a market for a mid-priced 1st class fare on ECML and WCML which gave the seat but none of the other benefits - lounge or food. You could sell the carriage between 1st and Standard as "Standard Plus" or the like.

VT tried that with the "Purple Zone" thing in the late 1990s and it was an abject failure, FWIW.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wasn't that Standard class seating though?

It was a moving zone. In the peaks it was Standard Class coaches (which was utterly silly). Off peak it was a sort of Weekend First type thing in which it was a bit of both (one coach of each, I think) in which Standard Anytime tickets were valid (this has remained as free Weekend First with these tickets) but also Weekend First.

If they did want to try it, I reckon the Voyager hybrid coach was the place.

But I'm not sure why it would make sense to divide the train, other than if you want to do some kind of Eurostar-esque expenses fraud (i.e. by stating that something that clearly is First Class isn't so more people can claim it). You could just go to what some TOCs did, which is free food only on First Anytime tickets and chargeable for others.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Great shame the 91s didn't stay on the East Coast with that super 3-class accommodation that Porterbrook (or whoever) suggested. Kitchen moved to the DVT, a 'Super Premier' carriage of 1+1 seating, a couple of coaches of 2+1 'Business Class' with a lighter offering and the decent seats and then Standard with a micro-buffet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Great shame the 91s didn't stay on the East Coast with that super 3-class accommodation that Porterbrook (or whoever) suggested. Kitchen moved to the DVT, a 'Super Premier' carriage of 1+1 seating, a couple of coaches of 2+1 'Business Class' with a lighter offering and the decent seats and then Standard with a micro-buffet.

Who'd have bought Super Premier? Many businesses now won't even allow regular 1st for even senior staff. It's tending towards a leisure and self-upgrade product.

Veteran Member
East Coast had Silver Standard for a bit in late BR days.
BTW Eurostar Standard Premier includes food and drink, just not as much of it. Or as good?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
BTW Eurostar Standard Premier includes food and drink, just not as much of it. Or as good?

Was quite disappointed to find out that through tickets from other UK stations for Standard Premier are Standard on the connection - though this isn't made clear until the transaction is complete.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Not just East Coast - West Coast had it as well.

Whenever there is a suggestion of introducing some sort of intermediate class the media always jump on it and describe it as "the return of third class"!

tasky

Was quite disappointed to find out that through tickets from other UK stations for Standard Premier are Standard on the connection - though this isn't made clear until the transaction is complete.

Yes, this is particularly silly given if you book a through ticket with a continental rail operator that includes a Eurostar - say London to Cologne - your first class ticket in the ICE will translate to a Standard Premier ticket on the Eurostar.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, this is particularly silly given if you book a through ticket with a continental rail operator that includes a Eurostar - say London to Cologne - your first class ticket in the ICE will translate to a Standard Premier ticket on the Eurostar.

Next time I'll definitely book separately. Within reasonable fare limits we always do 1st for Leeds - London when it's work. I'd probably give us an extra half hour in London too.

Craig2601

A 3 class, or in Italy’s case a 4 class system seems to work very well; allowing very cheap fares in standard through to even premier allowing for a much improved 1+1 first class area for an extra charge allowing to meet the needs of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.