• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineering at Wolverhampton 29 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_wm

Hello,

There seems to be some kind of engineering work closing the south end of Wolverhampton station on Friday 29th March (Good Friday).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...edule_type=0&show_wtt=1&show_var=1&show_stp=1

XC and VT Preston services are diverted via Bescot, LM Liverpool and Shrewsbury are cut back to an hourly train each from Wolverhampton, and ATW have a two-hourly Holyhead service only. But what seems ridiculous is that the entire Birmingham to Wolverhampton service (normally 10tph) is replaced by half-hourly buses to Sandwell & Dudley, connecting with local stopping services. This means the journey times increase from 17ish minutes to around an hour!

This engineering works are not listed (as far as I can see) on National Rail or Arriva Trains Wales, but are on London Midland. I've tweeted ATW about their services and they said they're 'awaiting confirmation from Network Rail' before planning their diversions or replacement buses - their altered services already seem to be in the system though.

So, any idea if there'll be any more diversions or replacement buses (I'll be heading back from mid-Wales and would prefer not to change four times before I get to Birmingham!), and on a side note, what are they actually doing?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I'm making the opposite journey on the day. I'm either thinking of taking a local bus to Wolves, then LM to Shrewsbury, then ATW.

Another option could be XC to Crewe and ATW from here.

Whats the best option?

dave_wm

I've looked into going via Crewe and it would actually be quicker to where I'm going (Four Oaks) - not sure if the ticket would be valid though!

The local buses to Wolverhampton are even more painfully slow - the 126 is the only direct one and takes about 90 minutes I think! The Metro might be worth a look though - it's about 35 minutes but goes from Snow Hill to St George's, so you'd have a 10 minute walk at either end...

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hello,

There seems to be some kind of engineering work closing the south end of Wolverhampton station on Friday 29th March (Good Friday).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...edule_type=0&show_wtt=1&show_var=1&show_stp=1

XC and VT Preston services are diverted via Bescot, LM Liverpool and Shrewsbury are cut back to an hourly train each from Wolverhampton, and ATW have a two-hourly Holyhead service only. But what seems ridiculous is that the entire Birmingham to Wolverhampton service (normally 10tph) is replaced by half-hourly buses to Sandwell & Dudley, connecting with local stopping services. This means the journey times increase from 17ish minutes to around an hour!

This engineering works are not listed (as far as I can see) on National Rail or Arriva Trains Wales, but are on London Midland. I've tweeted ATW about their services and they said they're 'awaiting confirmation from Network Rail' before planning their diversions or replacement buses - their altered services already seem to be in the system though.

So, any idea if there'll be any more diversions or replacement buses (I'll be heading back from mid-Wales and would prefer not to change four times before I get to Birmingham!), and on a side note, what are they actually doing?

Thanks in advance.
ATW only have a 2 hourly service to Holyhead anyway. On the other hour the trains run to Aberystwyth

sonic2009

Established Member
I've looked into going via Crewe and it would actually be quicker to where I'm going (Four Oaks) - not sure if the ticket would be valid though! .

Which ticket are you intending on purchasing?

dave_wm

ATW only have a 2 hourly service to Holyhead anyway. On the other hour the trains run to Aberystwyth

I'm aware of that - I meant that the Aberystwyth service is diverted to Crewe and not running to Wolverhampton or Birmingham.

And I was intending to buy a Minffordd to Four Oaks Off Peak Single. I've checked the routing guide and it's not normally valid as far as I can tell...

Simon11

Established Member
From memory, the metro isn't running a full service either during easter.

dave_wm

It closes for two weeks on Saturday 30th. So it will still be running on the 29th. :)

dvboy

Established Member
If VT and XC are diverting via Bescot they'll still be calling at Wolverhampton so makes sense to use them.

Local buses and a fast rail replacement service Wolves-SAD-Birmingham actually makes sense, as the stops in between can all be reached by local bus from one end of the closed line or the other, and Smethwick GB is also served by the Snow Hill line. As posted above, the Metro is also in operation.

An all stops replacement bus service would probably take just as long as the 126.

IrishDave

If VT and XC are diverting via Bescot they'll still be calling at Wolverhampton so makes sense to use them.

No, they're not - they're running non-stop Birmingham to Stafford/Crewe via Portobello Jn-Wednesfield Heath-Bushbury Jn. I believe the points at the south end of Wolverhampton are being renewed, so no access for any trains from the Birmingham direction (without some horrible reversal at Bushbury Jn).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ATW have a two-hourly Holyhead service only

Odd - when I checked RealTimeTrains a few weeks ago they had Birmingham-Holyhead services avoiding Wolverhampton, running via Portobello Jn - Wednesfield Heath - Bushbury Jn (reverse on DGL) - Oxley chord - Stafford Road Jn. But that seems to have changed now to just Wolverhampton-Shrewsbury/Holyhead... I suspect ATW aren't lying when they say things aren't finalised...

Status
Not open for further replies.