• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entwistle request stop station question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
I've been watching this video from Clitheroe to Man Vic.
On the approach to Entwistle you can hear the guard send two bells and the station is deserted but the train still stops.
Is this because it was early?
If so, is this the protocol with request stops if they are a tad bit early?

EDIT: Will not play in the forums, but the click the window and it will bring it up in You Tube with the correct start time I marked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The guard giving two bells in this context just means "nobody wishes to alight". It's the driver's job to see if anyone is there waiting to board (as the guard can't see that) and indeed can stop for another reason if they feel it necessary.

Lewlew

That's the guard telling the driver that no one wants to get off there. If the platform is empty then the train doesn't need to stop

Trackman

Established Member
That's the guard telling the driver that no one wants to get off there. If the platform is empty then the train doesn't need to stop
That's my initial question if I didn't put if across clearly enough.
No-one wants to get off and there is no-one on the station, but it still stops.

Hugo3000

Unless I've missed anything I can only hear one set of two bells which is the driver telling the guard that there's nobody waiting on the platform. If the guard gives two back the train does not stop. However, the lack of response means that either somebody wants to get off or the guard hasn't managed to go through the train to check ie incompatible units or a busy train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unless I've missed anything I can only hear one set of two bells which is the driver telling the guard that there's nobody waiting on the platform. If the guard gives two back the train does not stop. However, the lack of response means that either somebody wants to get off or the guard hasn't managed to go through the train to check ie incompatible units or a busy train.

Guard gives two if nobody on board wants to alight. Driver either responds with two and proceeds, or ignores it and stops.

Hugo3000

Guard gives two if nobody on board wants to alight. Driver either responds with two and proceeds, or ignores it and stops.
Er nope, it's the other way around: driver gives two if the platform is empty and the guard either responds or doesn't as appropriate.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Er nope, it's the other way around: driver gives two if the platform is empty and the guard either responds or doesn't as appropriate.
That certainly isn't how it works here in North Wales, guard gives two if nobody wishes to alight and then driver gives two back if platform is clear and continues on his way or if there is somebody wishing to board he just stops and waits for 2 x more once the guard has done his duties with the doors.

Trackman

Established Member
It makes sense in the video as you can hear two sent when the driver can see the whole platform. But what about if someone was in the brick shelter and couldn't hear the train approaching? I suppose they would slow down anyway ready stop before they reach the shelter, this would be easier if it has heading towards Darwen due the siting of the shelter.

Hugo3000

It makes sense in the video as you can hear two sent when the driver can see the whole platform. But what about if someone was in the brick shelter and couldn't hear the train approaching? I suppose they would slow down anyway ready stop before they reach the shelter, this would be easier if it has heading towards Darwen due the siting of the shelter.
It makes sense because it is what happens!

People in shelters, and/or on head phones not hearing the train approaching, even just being hard to spot at night even when correctly signalling to the driver can all cause issues. As you say the train should be ready to stop but if the front end has passed the platform before the 'passenger' is spotted they're going to be left behind!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
WMR works this way too but not all drivers do it. Conductor always uses Cab2Cab to inform driver of requests required but this is more due to working from the saloon rather than cabs normally

Efini92

Established Member
I've been watching this video from Clitheroe to Man Vic.
On the approach to Entwistle you can hear the guard send two bells and the station is deserted but the train still stops.
Is this because it was early?
If so, is this the protocol with request stops if they are a tad bit early?

EDIT: Will not play in the forums, but the click the window and it will bring it up in You Tube with the correct start time I marked.
What you’re hearing is the driver giving the guard two on the buzzer. Because the guard doesn’t reply the driver has to stop. If the guard had given two back the train wouldn’t have stopped at the station.

Trackman

Established Member
It makes sense because it is what happens!
I wasn't questioning you, I haven't a clue that's why I posted!
What you’re hearing is the driver giving the guard two on the buzzer. Because the guard doesn’t reply the driver has to stop. If the guard had given two back the train wouldn’t have stopped at the station.
That's already been said further up the thread.

Llandudno

Established Member
Can certainly recommend informing the guard to alight at Entwistle, the walk around the adjacent reservoirs is fantastic and there is a decent enough pub pub opposite the station!

Howardh

Established Member
Can certainly recommend informing the guard to alight at Entwistle, the walk around the adjacent reservoirs is fantastic and there is a decent enough pub pub opposite the station!
I think - please correct me if my memory fails - the pub is close but up quite a steep hill; so those with walking difficulties might struggle. Not been for many a year so (a) it's time I went back and (b) could be wrong on the hill!

Llandudno

Established Member
I think - please correct me if my memory fails - the pub is close but up quite a steep hill; so those with walking difficulties might struggle. Not been for many a year so (a) it's time I went back and (b) could be wrong on the hill!
The pub is at the top of the station approach, no more than three minutes walk from the platform.
There is a slight slope, but nothing too much to worry about, it makes the ascent out of New Mills Central feel like climbing Everest by comparison!

The reservoir circular walk is fantastic mainly on the flat and takes just about an hour to circumnavigate, longer walks are available!

To complete the day I recommend hopping back on the train up to Clitheroe, excellent micro pub plus the amazing Bowland Brewery Tap at Holmes Mill 10 minute walk from the station.

ian1944

I agree that the two nearby reservoirs are worth walking round, also Jumbles near Bromley Cross, the next station south. The Strawbury Duck advertises B and B, so the keen walker could safely get legless afterwards.

geoffk

Established Member
Not done the reservoir walk but have visited the pub, the Strawbury (sic) Duck once. I think there's another thread describing how to make a stop signal on the platform after dark, i.e. don't shine a torch in the driver's face.

Trackman

Established Member
The pub is at the top of the station approach, no more than three minutes walk from the platform.
There is a slight slope, but nothing too much to worry about, it makes the ascent out of New Mills Central feel like climbing Everest by comparison!

The reservoir circular walk is fantastic mainly on the flat and takes just about an hour to circumnavigate, longer walks are available!

To complete the day I recommend hopping back on the train up to Clitheroe, excellent micro pub plus the amazing Bowland Brewery Tap at Holmes Mill 10 minute walk from the station.
Yes, it's not far away and not much of a slope and compared to the ramp up to the platforms at Hither Green which must hold some sort of record. Yet to see a wheelchair pushed up there, I don't think it could be done.
I stayed at the Strawbury Duck (not a typo) once as a base for visiting friends and family. All the guest rooms were named after Ducks! ( I think I was in Eider)
I was told Michael Portillo stayed there a couple of weeks before on his travels, so kept an eye out for next series. Very disappointed when it was screened it must have been on for all 5 seconds if that.

Not done the reservoir walk but have visited the pub, the Strawbury (sic) Duck once. I think there's another thread describing how to make a stop signal on the platform after dark, i.e. don't shine a torch in the driver's face.
I think the platform lights are left on long after the the last train has departed. (At Entwistle)

Howardh

Established Member
If you travel from Bolton northwards, once past Bromley Cross the views are quite stunning on the right!

Chrisyd

Between Bromley Cross and Entwistle you pass under the Turton Tower Rail Bridge (Photo linked from Historic England website):

d27c76e4-9df8-4a89-9730-bac7da08a3bc.jpg

Another photo from Geograph:

4436597_e2f663fb.jpg

More info: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4436597

Status
Not open for further replies.