• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EPA - End Point Assessment

Dante

So just when you think you've passed out and all's good and well.. the apprenticeship rears its head and now you're subject to an End Point Assessment. Anyone done one of these recently? They've sent a guidance document and a couple of mock examples of tests, but basically completely in the dark as it seems a relatively new process. Least looking forward to the 'Professional Discussion' - 10 scenario based questions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danish

So just when you think you've passed out and all's good and well.. the apprenticeship rears its head and now you're subject to an End Point Assessment. Anyone done one of these recently? They've sent a guidance document and a couple of mock examples of tests, but basically completely in the dark as it seems a relatively new process. Least looking forward to the 'Professional Discussion' - 10 scenario based questions.
Hi Dante, if you've already done your EPA, could you please give me some info about it.

thanks

AverageJoe

If you’ve passed out then you’re a driver. This is just for the apprenticeship so if you were to fail it I imagine they will just get you to sit it again down the road.

T-Karmel

Just do a bit of revision before, just like you'd do for the rules. Definitely nothing to worry about and as AverageJoe says, if you fail it, they'll just make you resit it. Although at quite a cost to the company, but not anything you'll even need to think or be made aware about.

Mattydo

It should have no bearing on your continued employment. Certainly doesn't at the TOC I'm at or ones nearby where I have friends. It'll involve some short fairly easy quizzes about rules and safety and professional discussions about the role. If you've passed out, you'll find this a doddle tbh. Most of what they need is evidenced from your training file. But best advice... Do not stress. It's not a problem if you have to resit multiple times even.

State

If I complete all parts of the apprenticeship except End Point Assessment and then change TOCS, Will I be able to just do the end point assessment? Or will I be required to do everything again?

Thanks

Mattydo

If I complete all parts of the apprenticeship except End Point Assessment and then change TOCS, Will I be able to just do the end point assessment? Or will I be required to do everything again?

Thanks
It's quite unlikely you being able to change TOCs will precede your EPA. It should happen fairly swiftly after your part C within weeks or at most a month or two. Given the length of time railway recruitment takes (even for qualified drivers), the notice you will have to give and the few TOCs that take on PQA drivers, I'd say it's almost impossible.

However, you're a qualified train driver regardless of whether you have your apprenticeship completed or not.

Your current TOC might be somewhat perturbed though as their apprenticeship funds don't get released until you finish the apprenticeship I believe.

marco sadler

I’ve sat my EPA two weeks ago, pm me if you have any questions!
It should have no bearing on your continued employment. Certainly doesn't at the TOC I'm at or ones nearby where I have friends. It'll involve some short fairly easy quizzes about rules and safety and professional discussions about the role. If you've passed out, you'll find this a doddle tbh. Most of what they need is evidenced from your training file. But best advice... Do not stress. It's not a problem if you have to resit multiple times even.
hi
I am just a little concerned about the professional discussion, do you have any adive on that part

They are not there to catch you out on the EPA. I revised my Academy stuff beforehand which helped me. I actually enjoyed the professional discussion. The assessor asked various questions then expanded / delved into my answers and it was relevant and interesting (for me). She also taught me several things.
Do not stress about it, just revise your stuff and you will be fine. Best of luck