• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Equipment Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

What equipment is currently being used between London and Edinburgh? My wife last rode it 6 years ago and seems to recall some designation with the 125 in it. Please help me out. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
If they're electric, the Intercity 225s.

E.g. Class 91 locos + MK4 carriages + DVT

Sometimes they may be substituted with an Intercity 125.

E.g. Class 43 + MK3 coaches + Class 43

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Most of the services that terminate at Edinburgh or run to/from Glasgow via Edinburgh are electric, using Intercity 225 sets consisting of a Class 91 loco and Mark 4 coaching stock.

The through services to Aberdeen and Inverness (as these lines are not electrified), plus some services that start/terminate at Edinburgh (due to there not being enough 225 sets) use Intercity 125 sets, consisting of two class 43 powercars and a rake of Mark 3 carriages.

All sets have been refurbished in recent years.

Weekdays, there are 18 Southbound services and 19 Northbound

subway156

You people know yer onions! Thank you. Now, one more thing. What about ScotRail? Edinburgh to Kirckaldy? We will be staying in Leven, drive to Kirckaldy and ride into Edinburgh. Finally, Kirckaldy to Glasgow. You say that is not electrified? Oops, and what about the EMU's that ScotRail was using a coupe of years ago? Are they still used? They almost operated as though they were diesel. They way they revved and pulled out of the station. As you can tell, I am highly psyched up for this trip.

CarterUSM

Established Member
To kirkaldy it will be a class 170 or perhaps a 158. All the emu's are still around apart from the 303's, these were disposed of around 2000-1, though i'm sure I will stand corrected if i'm wrong. I think you are describing the 314's when you mention the acceleration though, they are pretty fast off the mark! Otherwise everything is the same. I trust you will have a wonderful time in my country and it will be a pleasure having you. :)

Last edited:

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'm not really an enthusiast, and I did say I would stand corrected! :) thank you chaps! :) I'd better mention to the OP that St Enochs and Buchanan st stations closed in 1966(?) also! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.