• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European passenger rolling stock furthest from its host country

DanielB

On the traction side of things I think the winner is the NS Vectrons booked to work to Wien on the Nightjet.
They don't go that far away anymore since the new timetable and the introduction of the new Nightjet sets.
The NS Vectron now is the traction for the Innsbruck part till Munich.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
On the traction side of things I think the winner is the NS Vectrons booked to work to Wien on the Nightjet. (I know NS lease them from an Austrian firm but to all intents and purposes they’re NS locos)
Is that further than the ČD Vectrons that get to Flensburg?

vuzzeho

Would the Nightstar/Renaissance coaches count? Built for the UK but ended up in Canada! I know they never entered service (and I'm not so sure about testing), but I figured they might count.

Gaelan

The Russian Moscow-Beijing service would’ve been a strong contender, though it’s unclear if it ever restarted post-pandemic/war.

Gag Halfrunt

Would the Nightstar/Renaissance coaches count? Built for the UK but ended up in Canada! I know they never entered service (and I'm not so sure about testing), but I figured they might count.

This thread is about trains travelling far from their home country in passenger service, and only within Europe. Exports don't count.

Just a bit of trivia really. In Europe, which service would take a piece of passenger rolling stock furthest from its host country? It's probably easier to go "as the crow flies" to the nearest border given the multitude of rail routes.

vuzzeho

This thread is about trains travelling far from their home country in passenger service, and only within Europe. Exports don't count.
Oops. Misread. Sorry about that! Imagine a journey from London to Canada on one of them though... would probably take more than one night's sleep!