• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar disruption 30th November

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFN

“Power supply problems outside the UK end of the Channel Tunnel”

The same place that the failed train happened on 30/11?

Not a good week for Eurostar, starting to get nervous about my upcoming trip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Citybreak1

I am still concerned this was allowed to happen. Inhumane conditions with no toilet or water. And the fact this was reported to happen in 2010. Yes it’s rare but it’s concerning if there policy is to keep passengers on a train 8 hours? I noticed the news said they got enhanced compensation I wonder how much this is?

I have contacted Eurostar as I am keen to know what sort of investigation is going on to prevent this in the future.

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
I'm surprised there hasn't been a case of self-detrainment.

Geogregor

I'm surprised there hasn't been a case of self-detrainment.

Same here, especially that they were right next to road access.

I don't understand how they could keep people trapped for 7-8 hours. Once they realized that it will take more than 2-3 hours people should be detrained. They were not stuck in the middle of the tunnel or on some tall viaduct.

I have a feeling that there is certain lack of common sense here. It is disastrous customer service.

Citybreak1

I don't understand how they could keep people trapped for 7-8 hours. Once they realized that it will take more than 2-3 hours people should be detrained. They were not stuck in the middle of the tunnel or on some tall viaduct.

I have a feeling that there is certain lack of common sense here. It is disastrous customer service.
When I mailed them they insisted there was enough food but the toilet issue is being investigated. I have heard that happen on a plane toilets break they land plane. I cant imagine how people did the toilet. Whole experiences off putting. I know it’s very rare but if that’s future policy I don’t like the sound of it. It happened in 2010 and nothing learned. I have a few trips planned I expect I’m doing to need to take plenty to drink.

RT4038

Established Member

I expect it is because there was nowhere safe to detrain to, insufficient staff on hand in the train to cope with detrainment of 800 passengers with all their luggage, safely onto unmade up ground in the cold weather. No safe means to move the detrained passengers with all their luggage away from the train and to anywhere else. I should think detrainment is the last and armageddon option to be considered, fraught with risk. No simple means of bringing in additional staff. No doubt during this time arrangements were being made for rescue, which clearly took quite some time for whatever reason.
Not sure what lessons could be learnt from the incident 13 years ago - no company is going to spend lots of money on backups for such a rare occurrence.

When I mailed them they insisted there was enough food but the toilet issue is being investigated. I have heard that happen on a plane toilets break they land plane. I cant imagine how people did the toilet. Whole experiences off putting. I know it’s very rare but if that’s future policy I don’t like the sound of it. It happened in 2010 and nothing learned. I have a few trips planned I expect I’m doing to need to take plenty to drink.
Things happen (as you say very rare) so they have to be coped with. (like power outages at home, heavy snowfalls, flooding, illness - all could be mitigated at great expense but it simply isn't worth it).

valedave

I got caught up in this, although fortunately no way near the same extent as the people on the stranded train. What a nightmare!

I arrived at Bruxelles Midi on Thursday to find my departure (1456) cancelled at the departure at 1256 running two hours late. Luckily I was early, so I asked about what to do. The ES staff there were very standoffish, surly even. I get that they probably had a load of pissed off people to deal with, but come on that's literally their job.

Anway, I was told by the Eurostar staff to go away and come back at 3pm, for transfer to the 1556 departure – which I obviously completely ignored and started queueing anyway. I then overheard arguments about people who had been told to come back later only to find the queue snaking out of the check-in area and into the regular station.

Why isn't there a immediate protocol for cancelled departures? "We are sorry to announce that the XYZ is cancelled. Passengers for this service please queue here while we work out what to do." At least everyone knows where they stand. Passengers are going to stick around anyway, probably in a queue, so isn't it better to provide an orderly and fair system (first come, first served) rather than giving mixed messages? At St P there are always like 15 people herding passengers around with their little signs.

Fortunately I got on the 1556, but only after I insisted that the woman at the desk check it for empty seats. She initially said it was sold out and wanted me on the 1800. She checked her system again and voila, magic!

ShadowKnight

I think that being stranded on a train for 5+ hours with little to no facilites and power is pushing it to be honest. I'm not too sure what the level of communication is to passengers in such an incident but that would quite inform the level of patience passengers would have.

Also this incident may not happen quite frequently. But often the same thing occurs every time an incident does happen, enough over the years that there should be some strategy to mitigate this.

Is it down to Eurostar or HS1 as the infrastructure owner to how some of these procedures occur? I don't know what happens when a southeastern train breaks down on HS1, is it different to Eurostar?

StephenHunter

Established Member
It may be due to border regulations? Isn't a Eurostar carriage an international border because people have already gone through French passport control?
It definitely is. There was a special procedure to be followed for the Night Ferry back in the day if it broke down, as part of the passengers had gone through passport control and part hadn't.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just a reminder that this thread is regarding Eurostar disruption.

Please use the relevant threads to discuss the Elizabeth Line disruption earlier in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.