• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar E300 replacements?

Citybreak1

Given they want more services to Amsterdam in the future what fleet could replace these? I assume something similar to DB’s new fleet? They are 30 years old soon so they will be approaching and of service. I would expect them to announce something after Amsterdam renovation works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
Its a bit unclear given how many suitable models of high speed train are now available. One other factor that would dictate when the 373s/E300s are phased out is if and when the TVM 430 signalling system used on the high speed routes they operate on is replaced by ETCS which the 373s cannot use. There is also the factor that the order to replace the 373s will most likely be placed alongside the replacements for the Thalys PBA and PBKA sets and given the merger between the two operators it'd make sense for the new fleet to be compatible.

Energy

Established Member
Its a bit unclear given how many suitable models of high speed train are now available. One other factor that would dictate when the 373s/E300s are phased out is if and when the TVM 430 signalling system used on the high speed routes they operate on is replaced by ETCS which the 373s cannot use. There is also the factor that the order to replace the 373s will most likely be placed alongside the replacements for the Thalys PBA and PBKA sets and given the merger between the two operators it'd make sense for the new fleet to be compatible.
The Thalys and E300 sets are of a similar age. Thalys sets are 200m so a joint order would either be 2 lengths or Eurostar would run some trains as 2x200m.

Citybreak1

The Thalys and E300 sets are of a similar age. Thalys sets are 200m so a joint order would either be 2 lengths or Eurostar would run some trains as 2x200m.
I know they have just refitted the ex Thalys so I wonder what the long term plan is? Some of the Izzy trains already ran on the Brussels Paris route in the past. It’s been a decade since last order so surely makes sense to order a replacement?

Halish Railway

Established Member
Would they order double decker stock like the tgvm or not
If so would that be proper double decker stock in the UK
The TGV Duplexes and Ms would only be suitable for Paris to Brussels and Rhein-Ruhr services given that they have low platform doors which would not match the high platforms of the Netherlands and UK. Unless there is some sort of reorganisation where the Paris to Rhein-Ruhr services are integrated with another service offering that also uses double-deck TGVs, rolling stock capable of running into the Netherlands would also have to be used on these services to prevent the creation of a micro-fleet.

Nowadays I don't think there are any Thalys services that can get away with being just 200m long. With recent growth in international high speed passenger numbers and Thalys services having the same fleet size they did 25 years ago its not uncommon for trains to sell out a month or two in advance, even outside of the peak June, July and August holiday season.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The TGV Duplexes and Ms would only be suitable for Paris to Brussels and Rhein-Ruhr services given that they have low platform doors which would not match the high platforms of the Netherlands and UK. Unless there is some sort of reorganisation where the Paris to Rhein-Ruhr services are integrated with another service offering that also uses double-deck TGVs, rolling stock capable of running into the Netherlands would also have to be used on these services to prevent the creation of a micro-fleet.
My understanding is that the platforms for international use on HS1 are fully compliant with TSI standards?
TGV-M is to be offered for both standard TSI platform heights, so I don't think there is any problem there, at least as far as HS1/the UK goes.

Tio Terry

Whatever train is choosen it will need to meet the quite stringent fire requirements for operation through the Channel Tunnel. Not many existing HS trains do that.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Its a bit unclear given how many suitable models of high speed train are now available. One other factor that would dictate when the 373s/E300s are phased out is if and when the TVM 430 signalling system used on the high speed routes they operate on is replaced by ETCS which the 373s cannot use.
TVM phase out on LGV Nord/HSL1/Channel Tunnel/HS1 has already had initial agreements signed: https://www.railengineer.co.uk/upgrading-the-continental-connection/
Would they order double decker stock like the tgvm or not
If so would that be proper double decker stock in the UK
Whatever train is choosen it will need to meet the quite stringent fire requirements for operation through the Channel Tunnel. Not many existing HS trains do that.
Double-decker trains would need to satisfy the evacuation requirements for the Channel Tunnel, which appear to be more standardised than before as a result of the challenges getting the e320s certified but still quite stringent:
see https://www.cigtunnelmanche.fr/-Regulations-and-guidance-.html?lang=en, particularly "Reference document for cross-acceptance : requirements for the Channel Tunnel". Essentially operators have to be able to evacuate the train to the service tunnel within different periods (down to 15 minutes) of a fire starting, depending on exact circumstances. Not sure how these compare to the long land-based tunnels through the Alps, but EU standards are referenced.
My understanding is that the platforms for international use on HS1 are fully compliant with TSI standards?
TGV-M is to be offered for both standard TSI platform heights, so I don't think there is any problem there, at least as far as HS1/the UK goes.
There's plenty of trains from France to other places with the 760mm height of HS1's int'l platforms so agree this shouldn't be a major factor.
Given they want more services to Amsterdam in the future what fleet could replace these?
I thought only the E320s went to Amsterdam?
Currently only the e320s have the Dutch signalling systems required, yes. And there's sufficient e320s to cover the likely number of additional Amsterdam paths Eurostar might be able to get through Brussels, I would have thought. Especially as any German ideas (which would also require e320s) seem to have been placed very firmly back on their customary shelf.
I assume something similar to DB’s new fleet? They are 30 years old soon so they will be approaching and of service. I would expect them to announce something after Amsterdam renovation works.
Given the e320s are from the Siemens Velaro family, and DB's have a substantial part of the ICE fleet also from the Velaro family, this is a distinct possibility. However SNCF are now the majority shareholder of Eurostar Group, so that may yet have an influence on the stock selection.

OneOfThe48

Why would Eurostar not replace them with more e320s?

Seems like the easiest and most sensible option to me unless i'm missing something....

D365

Veteran Member
Why would Eurostar not replace them with more e320s?

Seems like the easiest and most sensible option to me unless i'm missing something....
Does Siemens still offer the ”Velaro D” units?

On Moderation
Does Siemens still offer the ”Velaro D” units?
Well, they are currently building the ICE 3neo sets for DB and will be for some time, as there are 90 sets on order.

That said, the former Thalys fleet is also not far off needing replacement. Given the noise when Siemens got the e320 order, I wouldn't be surprised if a TGV-M (Alstom Avelia) derivative was ordered to replace the ex-Thalys and Class 373 sets.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Just to make an overview:

Eurostar has 4 fleets:
- Thalys PBA (France, Belgium, Netherlands)
- Thalys PBKA (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany)
- Eurostar e300 (France, Belgium, UK)
- Eurostar e320 (France, Belgium, UK, Netherlands)

Eurostar e320 are the newest and not going anywhere anytime soon
PBA/PBKA/e300 fleets are older, but have been refurbished relatively recently, so will likely last some years to come

The Thalys fleet is too small, while the Eurostar fleet is relatively spacious, hence the plan to start using e320s on Amsterdam-Paris from this summer.

I agree with others that the PBA/PBKA/e300 fleets will likely be replaced together, and that there's quite a few options, though I'd suspect it would likely either be a dedicated alstom product (based on TGV / AGV) or a siemens product (based on the velaro)

In the short term, I wonder if there's any unrefurbished e300s that could be brought back into service?

I know they have just refitted the ex Thalys so I wonder what the long term plan is? Some of the Izzy trains already ran on the Brussels Paris route in the past. It’s been a decade since last order so surely makes sense to order a replacement?
Passing through Rotterdam the other day. What would normally be the Eurostar service to London was being run as an Amsterdam to Brussels and Paris service.

With a multi voltage French TGV Set. Which presumably would be sitting in the depot before it's Brussels to South France service.

So would appear these have been fitted with Dutch Signalling systems.

Unfortunatly its trip to Amsterdam ended early when it failed not long after crossing the Dutch,/Begium border.and following trains were crossed to the other line to overtake the failure.

Sorcerer

To be honest I can't see Eurostar opting to replace the old fleet with anything other than more of the current e320 fleet seeing as it's already cleared for use in the Channel Tunnel and Siemens is quite a solid manufacturer. If there is any difference I suspect it will be simply through the new fleet being a Neo set and possibly given a new TOPS number, but I think you'd just end up with 374/2 instead really.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Passing through Rotterdam the other day. What would normally be the Eurostar service to London was being run as an Amsterdam to Brussels and Paris service.

With a multi voltage French TGV Set. Which presumably would be sitting in the depot before it's Brussels to South France service.

So would appear these have been fitted with Dutch Signalling systems.

Unfortunatly its trip to Amsterdam ended early when it failed not long after crossing the Dutch,/Begium border.and following trains were crossed to the other line to overtake the failure.
All eurostar fleets except the e300s can run in the Netherlands - do you have an idea what type of train this refers too?

martin2345uk

Established Member
To be honest I can't see Eurostar opting to replace the old fleet with anything other than more of the current e320 fleet seeing as it's already cleared for use in the Channel Tunnel and Siemens is quite a solid manufacturer. If there is any difference I suspect it will be simply through the new fleet being a Neo set and possibly given a new TOPS number, but I think you'd just end up with 374/2 instead really.
Listening to the internal rumour machine I’d be quite surprised if we end up with any more Siemens units but never say never!

Sorcerer

Listening to the internal rumour machine I’d be quite surprised if we end up with any more Siemens units but never say never!
Interesting. In that case I'd be quite interested in potential options seeing as Alstom's high-speed fleet these days is mostly double decker TGV trains. The AGV is single decker but seems like a concept that is mostly done with, and the Pendolino, be it tilt or non-tilt, isn't built to go above 250km/h, and such a reduction in speed isn't something Eurostar will want to go for with any E300 replacements.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Interesting. In that case I'd be quite interested in potential options seeing as Alstom's high-speed fleet these days is mostly double decker TGV trains. The AGV is single decker but seems like a concept that is mostly done with, and the Pendolino, be it tilt or non-tilt, isn't built to go above 250km/h, and such a reduction in speed isn't something Eurostar will want to go for with any E300 replacements.
The evacuation requirements for the Channel Tunnel and the fact that Eurostar deliberately positions itself as a higher-end offering (even in Standard) than a typical train may mean that the Single-Decker is preferred. I agree that 300kph will be an absolute minimum requirement, given the flagship London-Paris run has very high pressure on end-to-end runtime. Eurostar may even want 320 or 350kph, in case LGV Picardie ever comes to fruition.

Snow1964

Established Member
Can't rule out a version of the updated Hitachi ETR1000 for Italy.

A new order for 30 (+ 10 options) was placed in mid November and these are modified compared to existing 64 sets (last handful of 64 still being delivered). The new batch is rated at 350km/h and can be used on International services to Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Austria and Switzerland.

The Alstom AGV (which now seems to use Avelia name) is available both as single deck and double deck, double deck is known as Avelia Horizon. Depending on seating configuration the double deck version can seat upto 740 passengers in 200m version, although less in more long distance multi-class setup

All eurostar fleets except the e300s can run in the Netherlands - do you have an idea what type of train this refers too?
SNCF 4537 Was the machine.

T
The AGV was a single deck modern version of a TGV with traction along the unit rather than a power car at each end. Obviously targeted as a TGV replacement but then double deck trains came on the scene. A few were bought by Italo in Italy.
he A

Attachments

• ITLAGV05NAP.jpg
    ITLAGV05NAP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Sorcerer

The evacuation requirements for the Channel Tunnel and the fact that Eurostar deliberately positions itself as a higher-end offering (even in Standard) than a typical train may mean that the Single-Decker is preferred. I agree that 300kph will be an absolute minimum requirement, given the flagship London-Paris run has very high pressure on end-to-end runtime. Eurostar may even want 320 or 350kph, in case LGV Picardie ever comes to fruition.
I think ordering stock capable of higher speeds regardless of the advent of the LGV Picardie might well be on the table anyway. The ETR 1000 is capable of 400km/h even though it will most likely never see such speeds in Italy. Some 350km/h capable stock would be very much possible with the Zefiro and AGV product.

The Alstom AGV (which now seems to use Avelia name) is available both as single deck and double deck, double deck is known as Avelia Horizon. Depending on seating configuration the double deck version can seat upto 740 passengers in 200m version, although less in more long distance multi-class setup
Even though I don't think length requirements for the Channel Tunnel are as stringent as they once were, it might nevertheless be preferable for Eurostar to opt for 400m long single-deck stock for capacity reasons and for evacuation requirements in the tunnel itself.

The AGV was a single deck modern version of a TGV with traction along the unit rather than a power car at each end. Obviously targeted as a TGV replacement but then double deck trains came on the scene. A few were bought by Italo in Italy.
That's why I think the AGV is a done with product. Besides Italo nobody else seemed keen on purchasing it. Kind of a shame because it's a beautiful looking product.

D365

Veteran Member
I'd imagine there's some plans to keep them on maybe for a few more years given that a contract has been agreed to upgrade the signaling on the E300 to ETCS

Question... is that Hitachi 'own' ETCS, Hitachi ex-Ansaldo, or Hitachi ex-Thales?

And I would be interested to find out how the 'Bi-Standard' ETCS+TVM430 will compare to the ETCS fitment for Class 92, where the Siemens "Trainguard 200" is being 'overlaid' on the existing TVM430 equipment.

MotCO

Established Member
PBA/PBKA/e300 fleets are older, but have been refurbished relatively recently, so will likely last some years to come
But how long would it take to design, tender, award and build replacement trains? Could these refurbished fleets could be at the end of their lives by the time new stock comes on stream even if ordered fairly soon?

Snow1964

Established Member
But how long would it take to design, tender, award and build replacement trains? Could these refurbished fleets could be at the end of their lives by the time new stock comes on stream even if ordered fairly soon?
Design will be quite short assuming it is a derivative of recent multi system high speed train from Europe. HS1 is basically a French Ligne a Grand Vitesse clone. Unlike UK the continental partners buy the off the shelf version and just change things like the cab signalling modules, seating and livery.

Tender time varies by organisation, some countries do this in weeks, others get bogged down in lots of tiny detail specs. Of course the more you faff with a design that works the more risk that you introduce something that is troublesome

The original fleets (and those that were in Thayls Red) are all getting towards end of their lives. Probably worth quick history lesson here to explain better. The first generation TGV (for Paris-Lyon) had 12 motors too, like the original Eurostar the outer bogie under passenger carriage adjacent to power car was also motored. By the time Atlantique TGVs were built synchronous motors had been developed and units went to just 8 more powerful motors. Eurostar were 2 half units so had 12 motors rather than 8 per 200m unit.

The Atlantique units (built about 1989 -1992) had 10 trailers as platforms were longer, but a follow on regional order was standard 200m length with 8 trailer cars. The Eurostar E300s were built around same time (1993-1996) as Reseau (regional) units. The Thayls (red) units were basically a 3 voltage version of regional trains (and French had some 3 voltage regional ones for going over the border into Italy too). The final batch for Thayls had 4 voltage power cars to operate into Germany, these were based on new power car bodyshell designed for double decks TGV which started in mid 1990s. As double deck units were introduced they took over the busier workings and relegated first generation to more fringe services.

So basically the E300s are now around 30th birthday and the trains they were derived from are being replaced by latest (5th) generation in next few years (many have already been replaced, but some are getting short life extension as below). SNCF has placed orders (and more recently extra orders taking total to 115) Avelia Horizon units with delivery from this year though the next 10 years. It would be quite easy to piggyback off these orders (or even swap some of the delivery slots around) if Eurostar wanted clones of these to replace E300s.

About 6 months ago, due to demand SNCF decided to do life extension to about 100 older sets for 2 to 10 years until the new trains (as above) are ready, length of extension depends upon condition. There are currently about 363 active TGV sets.
Renovation covers 28 Atlantique sets, 26 dual voltage Reseau (regional) sets, 26 tri voltage reseau sets, plus 6 sets used on services to Milan. Also 23 sets of the earliest double deck units are getting 10 year life extension and being refitted similar to recent Oceane spec (Rames Nouvel Aménagement Intérieur)

Last edited: