• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar strikes - RMT & TSSA members to walk out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCommuter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37031386

Eurostar rail workers are to take seven days of strike action this month in a dispute over their work-life balance, the RMT union says.

Staff will walk out from 00:01 BST on 12 August until 23.59 BST on 15 August, and for three days over the Bank Holiday weekend from 27 August.

The union says the dispute is over unsocial hours and duty rosters for about 80 train managers.

It comes amid strikes by RMT members on Southern and Virgin Trains East Coast.

The RMT says Eurostar has failed to honour an agreement from 2008 over conditions for their staff.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "Our train manager members at Eurostar have a heavy commitment to shift work and unsocial hours and are sick and tired of the company's failure to honour agreements.

"Our members have every right to have a fair work-life balance that fulfils the operational needs of the company while guaranteeing quality time off for friends and family.

"It's now time for Eurostar to come to the negotiating table with a set of proposals that honours our agreements and guarantees our members a genuine work-life balance."

What seems odd is the lack of 7 days notice. Presumably this doesn't apply but why?

Also, what is the likely affect. Personal interest for family members who are travelling this Sunday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

Two unions are going on strike this month

RMT members will walk out from the 12th to 15th and 27th to 29th August

TSSA members will walk out on the 14th and 15th and 28th and 29th August

This Friday 9114 and 9133 are cancelled all other services will run

On Saturday a normal service is expected to operate

Sunday and Monday's services will be announced in due course

HH

Established Member
BBC says "work-life" balance, management have not made good on promises. Presume that means shifts being rostered that are unpopular because of when they start, end or how long they are.

Surprised at the number of days given that this appears to be the first industrial action. Is this the new RMT norm?

38Cto15E

Surely when the drivers went for their job interviews, the management would have asked them if they were happy to do shifts, lodge away the occasional night etc, and I assume the drivers agreed to this.
For years BR staff worked unsocial hours, I had 12 week links and the hours could be horrendous, but I did it because that was what the job entailed, once I was no longer happy I got another job.
Of course if the management have moved the goalposts on agreements then the problem needs addressing.

Domh245

Established Member
What I heard is that Eurostar had removed a 2008 agreement which had favourable terms for something less favourable

This is the problem, which media aren't pointing out. The 2008 agreement have been withdrawn, removing the 35 hour week limit, not giving overtime pay when you go over 35 hours and removing staff travel benefits.
The reason why it's a strike over work-life balance is because all the things that kept that in balance has been removed.

Source

Phil.

Established Member
It would be nice to compare the typical rostered week for a Eurostar(UK) Train Manager and a Virgin (East Coast) Train Manager. It would be quite an eye opener.

Andyh82

Established Member
It would be nice to compare the typical rostered week for a Eurostar(UK) Train Manager and a Virgin (East Coast) Train Manager. It would be quite an eye opener.

I'm guessing the overnighting, high profile route and London weighting means that Eurostar train managers are probably paid more than any other train managers in the industry?

HH

Established Member
I'm guessing the overnighting, high profile route and London weighting means that Eurostar train managers are probably paid more than any other train managers in the industry?

Eurostar drivers are certainly top of the pile.

BTW the Standard had a bit more on the dispute. According to their article there's also some beef between UK Guards and their French equivalents, with our guys saying that 'Les Grenouilles' are getting all the best turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.