• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar to Cologne

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have just received an email from Eurostar inviting me to use their service to their new destination, Cologne, this November. Just seeking more information, I clicked on BOOK NOW but Cologne did not come up. I have travelled from Brussels to Cologne several times so I would be interested in a through service. I have checked todays departures from St Pancras and Cologne is not listed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

This may relate to Thalys merging with Eurostar, so there is now a "Eurostar to Cologne" - namely the exact same Brussels to Cologne service formerly operated by Thalys.

Nunners

This may relate to Thalys merging with Eurostar, so there is now a "Eurostar to Cologne" - namely the exact same Brussels to Cologne service formerly operated by Thalys.
Indeed - there are no through trains from London to Cologne. You will still need to change in Brussels.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Actually, I have had a second email from Eurostar recommending the Christmas Markets in Cologne in December. This time they have said a quick change in Brussels which makes more sense than the previous email. In addition, it is also possible to book through to Cologne which was not an option in the earlier email.

This is a quote from the second email

Discover the Cologne Christmas markets​

If you fancy travelling a little further afield for your Christmas shopping, the Cologne Christmas markets are well worth the trip. The markets run from the 23rd of November to 23rd of December, giving you plenty of time to discover this festive city.
You can get to Cologne in under 5hrs 30mins from St Pancras International, with a quick train change in Brussels. Book with Eurostar and you’ll be sipping glühwein with the elves in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:

BahrainLad

Hopefully they will offer a through fare, rather than just the two separate fares added together (which normally makes it outrageously expensive).

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hopefully they will offer a through fare, rather than just the two separate fares added together (which normally makes it outrageously expensive).
The through fare I got seemed reasonable, but it might have been two reasonable advance fares!

ivanhoe

The through fare I got seemed reasonable, but it might have been two reasonable advance fares!
Wouldn’t it be also better if they actively encouraged through fares for the great unwashed amongst us who don’t live near London and have to add on cost of a peak fare, if there are not any advances available. For this reason, I’m out or interrailing.

RT4038

Established Member
Wouldn’t it be also better if they actively encouraged through fares for the great unwashed amongst us who don’t live near London and have to add on cost of a peak fare, if there are not any advances available. For this reason, I’m out or interrailing.
Why would 'they' want to do that?

ivanhoe

Why would 'they' want to do that?
Commercially, I know the reason why, although Eurostar quietly dropped its through fares, I think either pre pandemic or during pandemic. I guess I’m part of the minority who would like this to be re thought. An inclusive railway should be thinking outside of the box but I guess keeping everything London centric is appealing to both Eurostar and British Government.

RT4038

Established Member
Commercially, I know the reason why, although Eurostar quietly dropped its through fares, I think either pre pandemic or during pandemic. I guess I’m part of the minority who would like this to be re thought. An inclusive railway should be thinking outside of the box but I guess keeping everything London centric is appealing to both Eurostar and British Government.
I understand that you want to pay less (who doesn't?), but still why would 'they' want to do that? Presumably the domestic rail companies (i.e. British Government) doesn't want to give away peak tickets cheaper and E* doesn't want to discount their tickets for provincial passengers when they can sell the seats at higher prices, and neither want the cost of through ticketing liabilities when things go wrong. Quite aside from the incompatibility of booking systems (the interface of which will cost lots of money) and the different booking horizons.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What about CIV tickets to London international, can still get good value advances and have your trains protected. Worked well for me when doing north of England to Europe tickets.

Managed to do Leeds to Cologne and Leeds to Zurich fairly inexpensively.

mike57

Established Member
What about CIV tickets to London international, can still get good value advances
I didnt know you could get CIV tickets for advance tickets, how do you set about it? Journey planners routinely refuse to recognise them, and if they do only offer anytime or possibly offpeak tickets.

Gaelan

I didnt know you could get CIV tickets for advance tickets, how do you set about it? Journey planners routinely refuse to recognise them, and if they do only offer anytime or possibly offpeak tickets.
TrainSplit (and the forum's booking site) offers them. Not aware of any other retailer that does.

ivanhoe

I understand that you want to pay less (who doesn't?), but still why would 'they' want to do that? Presumably the domestic rail companies (i.e. British Government) doesn't want to give away peak tickets cheaper and E* doesn't want to discount their tickets for provincial passengers when they can sell the seats at higher prices, and neither want the cost of through ticketing liabilities when things go wrong. Quite aside from the incompatibility of booking systems (the interface of which will cost lots of money) and the different booking horizons.
If you're serious about committing to net zero carbon targets, then it comes at a cost. Eurostar is a beneficiary of the whole of the UK contributing towards the Channel Tunnel . You mention a number of reasons why it shouldn't happen and your comment
I understand that you want to pay less (who doesn't?),
is rather flippant, to say the least. I'm under no illusion that the easy way forward is to do nothing. Booking systems are currently complex but much of this is a symptom of our current railway. I was on a Eurostar recently which was 50 mins late in arriving at St Pancras. They were handing out delay forms, so they have experience in this field.
There are ways forward which would probably increase the current fares, but not by any significant amount. You can cap through fare numbers on E* just as they do for Interrail Pass Holders. You could grow 'through fares' organically and who knows, both GB rail ,E* may see benefits. Will this happen in the next 5 years? I'm an normally an optimist and would like to think so, but there is a hint of pessimism on anything railways, particularly in GB.

DavidGrain

Established Member
What about CIV tickets to London international, can still get good value advances and have your trains protected. Worked well for me when doing north of England to Europe tickets.

Managed to do Leeds to Cologne and Leeds to Zurich fairly inexpensively.
I was about to mention CIV tickets. The first time I learned about CIV was when I booked Birmingham to Brussels through Ffestiniog Travel who had also arranged my travel arrangements for a solo tour of Germany which I had planned. My tickets were made out to London International CIV and were advance tickets. I had never previously heard of this station London International.

In fact, as things worked out I did not travel on either of my pre-booked trains as my first train from Birmingham to London was running out of order so I caught the next scheduled train which left before my booked train. The guard never queried the ticket when he came round on the ticket check. My return from Cologne to London went well but there was chaos at Euston as we were told to take any train to Watford Junction and sort ourselves out there.

Last year I was on a Great Rail Journeys tour and our return was marred by Deutsche Bahn cancelling without notice our train from Cologne to Brussels. Our Tour Manager sorted out 3 trains that would get us to Brussels but because of a late running connection, we missed our booked Eurostar. As we had CIV tickets Eurostar rebooked us free of charge under CIV regulations.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I got mine at York ticket office! Didn't know you could get CIV online.

The price of the CIV was identical to the advances on journey planners.

mike57

Established Member
TrainSplit (and the forum's booking site) offers them. Not aware of any other retailer that does.
Thanks for the heads up. Just had a quick look and it is quite simple. The only thing is you have to collect paper tickets, not a problem, just need to aware. Other than the change of destination to London International doesn't affect fares offered on the route we would use which is Hull - KGX as the onward travel is a 5 min walk.

Found quite a bit more information here: https://www.seat61.com/

The only things I noted in a quick read is that the site states the only booking site to offer them is Trainsplit.com and no mention of the booking engine here, and no mention that its paper tickets only, but otherwise it looks pretty comprehensive.

Gaelan

The price of the CIV was identical to the advances on journey planners.
As I understand it the only real benefits of CIV tickets these days are (1) guaranteed connections - though all reports are that reasonable connections are honored even with London tickets - and (2) more generous time restrictions on flexible tickets.

no mention of the booking engine here
The booking engine here is, for all intents and purposes, TrainSplit.

DavidGrain

Established Member
My understanding was that CIV tickets were not available online. TrainSplit is obviously now available.
London International CIV is a fictitious station or ghost station which does not physically exist. It is only there on paper and is for the purposes of international travel. It is not to be confused with St Pancras International which does exist with real trains.
This article by IanVisits explains fully

YorkshireBear

Established Member
As I understand it the only real benefits of CIV tickets these days are (1) guaranteed connections - though all reports are that reasonable connections are honored even with London tickets - and (2) more generous time restrictions on flexible tickets.

The booking engine here is, for all intents and purposes, TrainSplit.
For the sake of going to the ticket office, when planning a large group trip for which I was responsible, I felt the extra reassurance was worth it. I also work near York station ticket office and commute through it so it wasn't a hardship!

RT4038

Established Member
If you're serious about committing to net zero carbon targets, then it comes at a cost. Eurostar is a beneficiary of the whole of the UK contributing towards the Channel Tunnel .
If we are serious about committing to net zero carbon targets, we would be discouraging travel more widely, certainly for leisure purposes. This should be by raising airfares, rather than pricing that may well encourage more discretionary journeys by rail, without necessarily much movement from air travel to rail. Has the whole of the UK contributed (much) towards the Channel Tunnel? I thought it was effectively a private venture, without UK public money, which is why it is saddled with so much debt which needs servicing by high access charges.

is rather flippant, to say the least. I'm under no illusion that the easy way forward is to do nothing. Booking systems are currently complex but much of this is a symptom of our current railway. I was on a Eurostar recently which was 50 mins late in arriving at St Pancras. They were handing out delay forms, so they have experience in this field.
And I expect that experience underlies why they do not wish to increase their financial risks with more through ticketing, or incurring those liabilities at a discounted rate.

MotCO

Established Member
A couple of years ago, I travelled from Orpington to Nice (Orp - St Pancras - Gare de Nord - Metro -Gare de Lyons - Nice), and had CIV tickets or Orpington to St Pancras. What I wasn't sure about (although I did not have need of it) was if my Eurostar to Gare de Nord was late, could I apply 'CIV' for the Gare de Lyons - Nice leg.

bspahh

Established Member
A couple of years ago, I travelled from Orpington to Nice (Orp - St Pancras - Gare de Nord - Metro -Gare de Lyons - Nice), and had CIV tickets or Orpington to St Pancras. What I wasn't sure about (although I did not have need of it) was if my Eurostar to Gare de Nord was late, could I apply 'CIV' for the Gare de Lyons - Nice leg.
https://www.railteam.eu/en/for-your-journey/railteam-services/ says:

“Hop on the next available train” (HOTNAT)​

Hop on the next available train » (HOTNAT) allows travelers to take the next high-speed service leaving from the same station as originally planned when a delay on or cancellation of a preceding Railteam member’s high-speed service prevents them from making their originally-planned connection.*
[snip]
* Available in Paris between the stations Paris Nord, Paris Est, Paris Gare de Lyon and Paris Montparnasse. These are considered as one station for this service.

mike57

Established Member
And I expect that experience underlies why they do not wish to increase their financial risks with more through ticketing, or incurring those liabilities at a discounted rate.
If you buy a CIV ticket to/from London from a regional destination who actually picks up the cost if it goes wrong, is it the TOC causing the delay, how does that work?

To use my example, Hull - London CIV is badly delayed, missing Eurostar at St Pancras, even although more than minimum time had been allowed for St Pancras connection. So If I travelled Hull > Northern > Doncater > LNER > KGX delay could have been due to either. Eurostart rebook me, do they pass any costs on?

On my return, Eurostar are delayed, missing train out of Kings Cross, again do I need to rebook, or it just next train?

bspahh

Established Member
If you buy a CIV ticket to/from London from a regional destination who actually picks up the cost if it goes wrong, is it the TOC causing the delay, how does that work?

To use my example, Hull - London CIV is badly delayed, missing Eurostar at St Pancras, even although more than minimum time had been allowed for St Pancras connection. So If I travelled Hull > Northern > Doncater > LNER > KGX delay could have been due to either. Eurostart rebook me, do they pass any costs on?

On my return, Eurostar are delayed, missing train out of Kings Cross, again do I need to rebook, or it just next train?
Seat61.com says:

Through ticket or separate tickets?

• The consequences of a missed connection are much less if you have a through ticket covering the whole journey than if you have two separate tickets.
    If you have a through ticket you're covered by the CIV international conditions of carriage. If you miss a connection due to a train delay, you are legally entitled to be rebooked on a later onward train at no extra charge. So even a tight connection might be fine in this case.
    But if you have two separate tickets, you're not covered by CIV between trains and in theory a missed connection may mean having to buy a new onward ticket at expensive on-the-day rates. But there are two agreements that may still entitle you to be rebooked on a later onward train at no extra charge, the Agreement on Journey Continuation (AJC) and Railteam HOTNAT.
    You'll find an explanation of CIV, AJC and Railteam HOTNAT in the When things go wrong section below.
    Example: You're booking an inter-city journey across Germany on the German Railways website bahn.de from (say) Hamburg to Nuremburg or Amsterdam to Heidelberg. You're seeing an excellent €49 fare, but this includes an 8-minute change of trains at a station en route. Is it safe to book this? Yes, this is absolutely fine. It wouldn't sell a ticket if the connection wasn't reasonable, and you're buying a through ticket so if there's a delay and you miss this connection, you're entitled to take a later onward train as explained below. So you're covered!
    Incidentally, don't assume you have a through ticket just because you used www.raileurope.com or www.thetrainline.com and booked the journey as one transaction. For example, if you booked from Nice to Milan, those websites will give you a French ticket from Nice to Ventimiglia sourced from the SNCF system plus an Italian ticket from Ventimiglia to Milan, sourced from the Trenitalia system. One seamless transaction, but two separate tickets. In this case, no through ticket exists for this journey.

That links to the Wikipedia article on CIV international conditions of carriage which says

Application in the United Kingdom

Passengers travelling via London to connect with an onward international train, or rail inclusive ferry journey (Rosslare, Dublin, Hook of Holland, or Eurostar to France/Belgium) are able to buy UK domestic segment tickets to the virtual destination London International (CIV), whose station code is LNE. Such London International (CIV) tickets, in principle, are only issued upon presentation of the existing international "CIV"-denoted ticket, but provide additional benefits such as unrestricted peak-time travel and apply the benefits of guaranteed onward connections.

I don't know whether any money passes back and forward between Eurostar and the UK rail companies, or if its just done on a like for like basis, to let you onto a later train.

mike57

Established Member
@bspahh Thanks for the links. My take away is that for the UK portion you have more protection with a CIV ticket than without, but the whole thing looks like a minefield. Our last trip had onward travel with SNCF, not sure how that fits in, it was two tickets, but one booking (through Eurostar). We always take out comprehensive travel insurance, so ultimately this will pick up any losses.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
@bspahh Thanks for the links. My take away is that for the UK portion you have more protection with a CIV ticket than without, but the whole thing looks like a minefield. Our last trip had onward travel with SNCF, not sure how that fits in, it was two tickets, but one booking (through Eurostar). We always take out comprehensive travel insurance, so ultimately this will pick up any losses.
That is via Rail Team isn't it? With guaranteed next available seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.