• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston new weatherspoons

Backroom_boy

New Weatherspoons; The Capt. Flinders round the corner from the station on Eversholt Street. (Former lapdancing place 'Sophisticats') Welcome addition to the current Euston options

Usual spoons experience, just had a reasonable breakfast but the most remarkable thing is it still has a 'new carpet smell'! Visit soon as that won't last !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
New Weatherspoons; The Capt. Flinders round the corner from the station on Eversholt Street. (Former lapdancing place 'Sophisticats') Welcome addition to the current Euston options

Usual spoons experience, just had a reasonable breakfast but the most remarkable thing is it still has a 'new carpet smell'! Visit soon as that won't last !
I was there yesterday prices are dearer than most Wetherspoons but for London they were reasonable decent pub aswell

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was there yesterday prices are dearer than most Wetherspoons but for London they were reasonable decent pub aswell
What are the prices like in comparison to the other central London wetherspoons and compared to the other Spoons which are located in a station (St Pancras?)

dave87016

Established Member
What are the prices like in comparison to the other central London wetherspoons and compared to the other Spoons which are located in a station (St Pancras?)
Not sure as I went to Captain flinders ( Wetherspoon ) , Mabel’s tavern , royal George , and the pub upstairs on King’s Cross stain , a pint of cider was £4:62 , £6:60 , £6:80 and £6:70 respectively the former being spoons and strongbow the rest were Cornish orchards cider

Established Member
Pretty similar

317 forever

Established Member
I used it on Thursday and yesterday. Like the one at Edinburgh Waverley, it includes a display of trains due.

I did not have long to wait for service on either day, but as usual for a Wetherspoon, was not served immediately.

trainophile

Established Member
How big is it? Enough to accommodate the large numbers likely to patronise it at peak times? I know it's often hard to get a table at the St Pancras one.

dave87016

Established Member
How big is it? Enough to accommodate the large numbers likely to patronise it at peak times? I know it's often hard to get a table at the St Pancras one.
I wouldn’t say it’s very big but it’s big enough , prob best to avoid it at evening peak or chance it and if busy either go royal George which is a few doors down , or go to the Doric arch just on Euston bus station

trainophile

Established Member
Hoping to use it pre-Cal Sleeper next Weds, so will have to hover around anyone who looks like they might be thinking of leaving if there's no tables on arrival, which should be around 6:00pm. Oh dear :frown::lol:.

Howardh

Established Member
Wonder if it will take custom from the nearby bars forcing them to reduce their prices a bit?? Maybe not if it's on Eversholt St and therefore out of most's eyeline?

KT550

It is a lot smaller than I was expecting.

I visited about ten days after opening and the guest beer offering was poor. Only one in addition to the main three.

Checking the app now, it shows just the three regular Greene King ales, whereas the St. Pancras pub shows an additional nine real ales.

Perhaps Euston travellers aren't real ale fans.

In a break with tradition, the toilets are downstairs.

Trackman

Established Member
Welcome addition to the current Euston options
Well, anything has to be better than the Signal Box.
And just to add insult to injury with their extortionate prices, they add a service charge. So if you are desperate/foolish enough to go, watch out for that.

RailAleFan

It is a lot smaller than I was expecting.

When it was announced last year I had a look at the site on streetview and was surprised that Wetherspoon would be interested in a somewhere "so small" as 'spoons go. But yes a welcome addition to the area. £8.85 for a beer and a burger with chips in that neck of the woods when you can only just about get a pint for that at the station!

dave87016

Established Member
Well, anything has to be better than the Signal Box.
And just to add insult to injury with their extortionate prices, they add a service charge. So if you are desperate/foolish enough to go, watch out for that.
Yea mate I made a first and last visit to the signal box on Friday pub classics £16 - £20 each pint of orchards cider £6:80 no way would I purchase a meal there my bank manager would have kittens !

Trackman

Established Member
Yea mate I made a first and last visit to the signal box on Friday pub classics £16 - £20 each pint of orchards cider £6:80 no way would I purchase a meal there my bank manager would have kittens !
You only go once.
TBH, I use the George when there's a tube disruption to contemplate getting an Uber home (which isn't that much), but I will check the new 'Spoons out. George in good weather when you are sat outside is a beggarfest, in fact it's rife in that area at anytime.

dave87016

Established Member
You only go once.
TBH, I use the George when there's a tube disruption to contemplate getting an Uber home (which isn't that much), but I will check the new 'Spoons out. George in good weather when you are sat outside is a beggarfest, in fact it's rife in that area at anytime.
Sorry mate yeah I meant I only went to the signal box once and that will be my last time the prices are astounding

Russel

I used it on Friday morning, it definitely had that new carpet smell!

Rather slow though, had the place to ourselves near enough but it still took almost 15 minutes to bring out two bacon buttys...

trainophile

Established Member
Couldn’t get a table this evening, tried twice but it was packed. This was 6:00pm so hardly surprising.

Walked further along and ended up in the Prince Arthur, got a table and had a lovely meal. Twice the price of Spoons although not bad for London!

BeijingDave

The Doric Arch is great and has lovely staff in my experience.

Why anyone would want to line Tim Martin's pockets when there are other options is beyond me.

Howardh

Established Member

Why anyone would want to line Tim Martin's pockets when there are other options is beyond me.
One pub near Euston, which I think was the Doric Arch but might have been one on the road, I went past and wanted a pint (midweek) a few weeks ago, around 9.45pm, went in and although there were a handful drinking was told "sorry but we're closed". 9.45 in London outside a busy terminal! It's not alone, finding a lot of pubs these days shut early when there are just a few in, thus missing out on a late rush. Anyhow had to make my way to another, probably the Euston Tap and gave them my money.

jon81uk

I'd go to the Wetherspoons as the prices are great for a decent selection of drinks, the food is OK for the price and of predictable quality and can order on the app easily.

Although I don't agree with Tim Martins politics I don't see the difference in lining his pockets (and the other shareholders of JDW) compared to Asahi Breweries shareholders who own Fuller's who own the Doric Arch.

Mcv378

Hoping to use it pre-Cal Sleeper next Weds, so will have to hover around anyone who looks like they might be thinking of leaving if there's no tables on arrival, which should be around 6:00pm. Oh dear :frown::lol:.
If you use the Wetherspoons app you can order from your table

trainophile

Established Member
If you use the Wetherspoons app you can order from your table

Always do use the app. It's the only way to know what's out of stock. The issue was whether there would be any chance of a table. In the event there wasn't, everyone looked set in for the night, so we went along the road and found another place that was also pretty busy but we got lucky with a table.

The only other time we've completely failed to secure a table was at the Glasgow Queen Street Spoons (the one nearest to it) a couple of years ago. A family looked like they were leaving so we squeezed our way over, only to be told it was "reserved" for another couple who had already asked if they would keep it for them when they left. We gave up then and went to another one, luckily there's several in central Glasgow.