• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex - bus registration numbers for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramfan208

Hi folks, bit of an off the wall query here. Does anyone know if it’s possible to purchase a registration number which was once used for a bus (which has subsequently been scrapped).

In other words, if the original vehicle which carried that registration no longer exists, where and how would I be able to purchase that number for use on my own car.

Many years ago I was aware of someone who had an ex - RML registration number transferred to their Ford Focus, and have wondered to this day how they went about it.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I believe a vehicle can only donate its registration number if it has a valid MOT, or the MOT expired less than 12 months ago and has a valid SORN in place. So if a vehicle was scrapped whilst registered with the number you want, sad to say I don’t think it’d be possible for you to now obtain it.

83G/84D

Established Member
I believe a vehicle can only donate its registration number if it has a valid MOT, or the MOT expired less than 12 months ago and has a valid SORN in place. So if a vehicle was scrapped whilst registered with the number you want, sad to say I don’t think it’d be possible for you to now obtain it.

That is interesting to know. I was wondering if I could get the registration of the first car I purchased, but long since scrapped. Doesn't look like it!

Volvodart

Established Member
First Aberdeen managed to get Albion 79's registration back, somehow I think, although it is on the same bus!

carlberry

Established Member
First Aberdeen managed to get Albion 79's registration back, somehow I think, although it is on the same bus!
This is fairly easy if the DVLA has any record of the VIN (i.e. the vehicle has been on the road at some point since the mid 1970s), or slightly more difficult if you need to provide evidence from an historic archive of some kind. And the VIN/chassis plate has to be on the vehicle somewhere.

Plus the registration has to be available on the system as DVLA have been known to sell registrations that are now unused but potentially valuable.

carlberry

Established Member
That is interesting to know. I was wondering if I could get the registration of the first car I purchased, but long since scrapped. Doesn't look like it!
I believe that DVLA do sell old registrations if they believe the vehicle dosnet exist anymore and they're valuable however they're usually in large auctions.

Roilshead

The question about recovering "cherished" plates from scrapped vehicles is one that is often raised in the Honest John Q&A motoring column in The Daily Telegraph: "John's" advice is always that if a vehicle is written-off/scrapped with the registration still assigned then the number is lost forever - this has caught out a few owners who have purchased very valuable plates only to have their car written-off by the insurers following an RTA . . . after which point they then try to recover the registration to assign to their new car, only to find both it and their investment has gone forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.