• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Lurcheroo

As a result of the HD02 issue, the 06:27 from Manchester will be a 197 tomorrow, spare set HD03 will then pick up the rest of the diagram from 12:49 off Cardiff.
HD01 will also swap off in the afternoon, with a unit covering the 16:49 from Cardiff, this will allow it to be the spare ar Canton on Wednesday and prevent overloading Crewe.

Non Mk4 67005 should head light engine to Canton tomorrow to collect 67007 and the pair should then head light engine to Crewe for attention to 007.
67016 has now completed testing and exam and has headed to Toton where it should be painted after all. It's likely (but not confirmed) to come out in the black livery of 020/022.

HD05 stopped at Crewe has completed its minor exam and moved straight to a heavy exam. This will see it made into a 5 car and balance the heavier exams better going forward as well as complete the 5 car program so 4 cars are now a thing of the past unless plans change.
Great stuff! Once again, sound like loads of effort going in to keep things running as smoothly as possible with the bit of disruption.

Will be interesting to see what paint job 67016 does end up with. I quite like the black TFW 67’s.

That would be a great project finished so fingers crossed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BillStampy

HD05 stopped at Crewe has completed its minor exam and moved straight to a heavy exam. This will see it made into a 5 car and balance the heavier exams better going forward as well as complete the 5 car program so 4 cars are now a thing of the past unless plans change.
Do you think that after HD05 is done as 5 coaches, focus can turn to see if we can get HD08 into service? (Assuming it's able to after all this time)

sd0733

Established Member
Do you think that after HD05 is done as 5 coaches, focus can turn to see if we can get HD08 into service? (Assuming it's able to after all this time)
I believe that's still the plan to begin assessment on it once HD05 is done.

sd0733

Established Member
Hopefully if there's any issues with it they could get it into service even if it became a semi permanent 4 coach.
That really depends on which coach is the one to come out. All of the DVT, TOE (end coach), SV (kitchen), TOD (disabled standard) and POD (disabled first) are required to make a usable rake for TfW so it would only be the TO (basic standard) coach that could be sacrificed.

As a result of the HD02 issue, the 06:27 from Manchester will be a 197 tomorrow, spare set HD03 will then pick up the rest of the diagram from 12:49 off Cardiff.
HD01 will also swap off in the afternoon, with a unit covering the 16:49 from Cardiff, this will allow it to be the spare ar Canton on Wednesday and prevent overloading Crewe.
HD02 isn't now expected out until Thursday.
Tomorrow, the 06:27 from Manchester will again be subbed as will the 18:55 from Cardiff.
HD01 which was to be the spare now planned to work the 12:49 Cardiff to Manchester and 16:30 Manchester to Swansea tomorrow before stopping itself for an exam at Canton.

Last edited:

BillStampy

Tomorrow, the 06:27 from Manchester will again be subbed as will the 18:55 from Cardiff.
HD01 which was to be the spare now planned to work the 12:49 Cardiff to Manchester and 16:30 Manchester to Swansea tomorrow before stopping itself for an exam at Canton.
HD01 seems to have ignored it and is headed North to Crewe, assuming whichever set is on the 1855 today will now be the swapped off one?

sd0733

Established Member
HD01 seems to have ignored it and is headed North to Crewe, assuming whichever set is on the 1855 today will now be the swapped off one?
Yes the 18:55 is now a 197.

Also changes things in the morning now. The 06:27 from Manchester will be a Mk4 but the 04:54 from Crewe will be subbed instead, HD03 will then pick up that diagram From the 08:49 from Cardiff.
There can be 2 Crewe finishes too tomorrow now so both evening services can be Mk4s as HD07 Is heading to Crewe ETD for tyre turning so frees up a slot at ATC.

MP393

Yes the 18:55 is now a 197.

Also changes things in the morning now. The 06:27 from Manchester will be a Mk4 but the 04:54 from Crewe will be subbed instead, HD03 will then pick up that diagram From the 08:49 from Cardiff.
There can be 2 Crewe finishes too tomorrow now so both evening services can be Mk4s as HD07 Is heading to Crewe ETD for tyre turning so frees up a slot at ATC.

*Deleted - ignore*

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
The next few days don't look particularly great availability wise.

Tomorrow, 1W11 will be a unit with HD02 then swapping on at Crewe on the return 08:30 from Manchester. Everything else is the planned to run using HD02/03/04/06. That is dependent on HD02 successfully completing its test run to Chester and back this evening.

Friday, for the first time in a while sees a planned substitution of an entire diagram with the 04:54 from Crewe and the rest of that diagram being a unit as HD04 stops for an exam. Only HD02/03 and 06 are available due to exams plus tyre turn of HD07.

Saturday then looks very poor as it stands with only 1 set each off Canton (HD06) and Crewe (HD02).

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
The next few days don't look particularly great availability wise.

Tomorrow, 1W11 will be a unit with HD02 then swapping on at Crewe on the return 08:30 from Manchester. Everything else is the planned to run using HD02/03/04/06. That is dependent on HD02 successfully completing its test run to Chester and back this evening.

Friday, for the first time in a while sees a planned substitution of an entire diagram with the 04:54 from Crewe and the rest of that diagram being a unit as HD04 stops for an exam. Only HD02/03 and 06 are available due to exams plus tyre turn of HD07.

Saturday then looks very poor as it stands with only 1 set each off Canton (HD06) and Crewe (HD02).
I guess if they cant cover the existing diagrams there is no chance of the 5th diagram switching anytime soon.

All this wont be good for 197 availability either as I assume any substitutions will be a 197 (although I hear Sprinters made it onto Manchester services today so its still possible a 150 or pair of 153s could cover)

sd0733

Established Member
I guess if they cant cover the existing diagrams there is no chance of the 5th diagram switching anytime soon.
It looks as if getting everything ready for the 5th diagram is part of the reason for it. Sets are being pulled early for a mix of heavy and light exams to balance better now the 5 car programme is almost complete, that threw the plan way out so its now being dragged back to balancing out over the past few weeks.
Other than HD02s brake issue the sets have been pretty reliable recently, even the locos have been generally ok and time keeping has improved dramatically.

Newp410

It looks as if getting everything ready for the 5th diagram is part of the reason for it. Sets are being pulled early for a mix of heavy and light exams to balance better now the 5 car programme is almost complete, that threw the plan way out so its now being dragged back to balancing out over the past few weeks.
Other than HD02s brake issue the sets have been pretty reliable recently, even the locos have been generally ok and time keeping has improved dramatically.
I think going by the last few months, if they do reactivate HD08 as cover for the re-furb of the ex-LNER sets, then HD02 should be first in the queue for TLC.

sd0733

Established Member
I think going by the last few months, if they do reactivate HD08 as cover for the re-furb of the ex-LNER sets, then HD02 should be first in the queue for TLC.
Id agree, HD02s certainly been the most troublesome for a long time!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Personally whatever they do regarding HD08 HD02 should be the first to get some TLC.

sd0733

Established Member
Things have improved for the weekend, HD04 has been found a way to keep it running a few extra trips until it's exam so that will now cover the 04:54 from Crewe diagram up until 16:00 where it will stop for an exam at canton with the 16:49 from Cardiff now being the only planned substitution tomorrow.
HD06 is planned a loco swap tonight with 67015 coming off to head to DB and 67020 going on.

Saturday should see 3 diagrams now with both the Cardiff starts and the first one off Crewe as Mk4s as HD01 is now expected to be ready off its exam at Canton.

voithgearbox

Things have improved for the weekend, HD04 has been found a way to keep it running a few extra trips until it's exam so that will now cover the 04:54 from Crewe diagram up until 16:00 where it will stop for an exam at canton with the 16:49 from Cardiff now being the only planned substitution tomorrow.
HD06 is planned a loco swap tonight with 67015 coming off to head to DB and 67020 going on.

Saturday should see 3 diagrams now with both the Cardiff starts and the first one off Crewe as Mk4s as HD01 is now expected to be ready off its exam at Canton.
Great, travelling on the 12:52 off Cardiff tomorrow so hoping it all goes to plan.

sd0733

Established Member
Great, travelling on the 12:52 off Cardiff tomorrow so hoping it all goes to plan.
Looks like that should be OK! The remaining Crewe start never came off with electrical issue on the TOE of HD02 but the Cardiff starts, which include the 12:52 are running.

Lurcheroo

I see a 158 is covering one of the diagrams today.
There was certainly a shortage of 158’s on the Cambrian yesterday with 2 consecutive services, the 10 and 12 o’clock from Mach to Birmingham running as 2 cars vice 4.
To say both were ‘cosy’ would be a bit of an understatement.

Hopefully the 158 situation is better today or they must be really short if units o_O

nwales58

Hopefully the 158 situation is better today or they must be really short if units o_O
Off-topic, but same again today. 1008 from Mach formed by the coast unit alone. Full by Caersws, standing from Newtown and extended dwell at Welshpool as passengers squeezed on. More than 45 standing in one coach alone.

Now to compare reality vs plan on the Marches.
Edit:Mk4 set turned. Success for once

Last edited:

voithgearbox

Made it onto the 12:52 at Cardiff onboard first class. Thought all was well and made up my mind with soup, lamb and toffee pudding until the menu was taken off me and replaced with another one with only things like baps, sandwiches and sausage rolls. Staff quoted "the full menu is only available on afternoon departures" so is it lack of research on my end making me unaware that the advertised menu online is not available all day? I'm slightly disappointed as I was quite looking forward to the lamb.

Two menus provided below for comparison - many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3470.jpeg
    IMG_3470.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 80

Lurcheroo

Off-topic, but same again today. 1008 from Mach formed by the coast unit alone. Full by Caersws, standing from Newtown and extended dwell at Welshpool as passengers squeezed on. More than 45 standing in one coach alone.

Now to compare reality vs plan on the Marches.
Edit:Mk4 set turned. Success for once

158835 stuck on Holyheads, 158824 returning to Canton. 158834 MK4 diagram. Not the best really..
Oh dear!
I was on the 12:07 from Mach yesterday, just finished work heading home (to Newtown) so luckily I sat in the back with the working TM but it was full and standing leaving Mach. I was literally the only person to get off at Newtown and there was a lot waiting to get on. I chatted with the driver whilst the passengers were boarding for a few mins and then I walked over the bridge and I was most of the way home before it passed me so there was certainly an extended waiting time at Newtown, dread to think what happened at Welshpool!

So at least 3 units on their duties then including, unusually, the 1 on MK4 diagram.

Made it onto the 12:52 at Cardiff onboard first class. Thought all was well and made up my mind with soup, lamb and toffee pudding until the menu was taken off me and replaced with another one with only things like baps, sandwiches and sausage rolls. Staff quoted "the full menu is only available on afternoon departures" so is it lack of research on my end making me unaware that the advertised menu online is not available all day? I'm slightly disappointed as I was quite looking forward to the lamb.

Oh dear! I’ve not heard of that before.

Newp410

They quite often have one or two items that are not on-board, for instance I travelled a couple of weeks ago and they only had two starters and two desserts available. I know it probably won't cheer you up, but the lamb dish currently on offer is very good. Have travelled twice this week though and full menus were available both times.

The chef and catering crew join the train with their supplies at Newport on up services, so quite useful if you spot them on the platform before just to enquire whats on offer on their train before deciding to upgrade if you haven't already got a 1st ticket.

voithgearbox

They quite often have one or two items that are not on-board, for instance I travelled a couple of weeks ago and they only had two starters and two desserts available. I know it probably won't cheer you up, but the lamb dish currently on offer is very good. Have travelled twice this week though and full menus were available both times.

The chef and catering crew join the train with their supplies at Newport on up services, so quite useful if you spot them on the platform before just to enquire whats on offer on their train before deciding to upgrade if you haven't already got a 1st ticket.
For me it was a completely different menu instead of one missing course out of the 3. I've heard good things about the lamb too so next time hopefully.

Cheeseburger and soup was still decent as well as a comfy seat to last me until Wilmslow, so I'll take it.

Lurcheroo

For me it was a completely different menu instead of one missing course out of the 3. I've heard good things about the lamb too so next time hopefully.

Cheeseburger and soup was still decent as well as a comfy seat to last me until Wilmslow, so I'll take it.
The comfy seats, reclining, extra space, generally quieter carriage and a complementary tea and a biscuit is good enough for me

Jez

Established Member
I see a 158 is covering one of the diagrams today.
There was certainly a shortage of 158’s on the Cambrian yesterday with 2 consecutive services, the 10 and 12 o’clock from Mach to Birmingham running as 2 cars vice 4.
To say both were ‘cosy’ would be a bit of an understatement.

That explains why a 158 was sat in the sidings near to Canton when I passed yesterday on a 197 at around 1010am. It must have been the 0627 ex Manchester.that had terminated.

Hopefully the Mk4 situation improves soon. We keep saying that though! Yesterday I think only the 0435, 0635. 1252 and 1649 (to Crewe) produced MK4's.

158835 stuck on Holyheads, 158824 returning to Canton. 158834 MK4 diagram. Not the best really..
What was 158824 doing ? Maintenance at Canton?

I've noticed the restaurant service is very hit and miss. Not every item is available on the menu. There was one service which didn't even have a chef on board so not even hot sandwiches etc. Just drinks and crisps/snacks