• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Examples of crew “looking down” on other crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
How could I possibly know !? That's a bit condescending

I know after many years of taking notice of behaviours, demeanours and first-hand exchanges....

In case you didn't know, I have been travelling on and photographing the railway for over 40 years and interacted with most grades of staff, including drivers with, and without a camera on my person. Many drivers walk past me with an air of superiority and don't bat an eyelid whilst others are very engaging...

I am not a complete moron thank you very much .... <(

Why is someone walking past you and not batting an eyelid displaying an air of superiority? I would fit into that category, and it’s not a case of looking down (or indeed up), just that I genuinely don’t give a toss what someone else is doing if it doesn’t affect me.

As has already been stated, some grades of railway staff, driver being a prime example, simply don’t directly interact with passengers on a regular basis. I did experience a driver walking through his train very politely speaking to everyone personally a few weeks ago when there was an extended delay (it also seemed to be the case that the unit in question had been running round with no PA), however that was a 2-car 150/2 on a very lightly loaded Okehampton run - what happens in rural Devon isn’t going to be the case everywhere!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Many drivers walk past me with an air of superiority and don't bat an eyelid whilst others are very engaging...

I suspect this just means: drivers walk past you. The “air of superiority” is likely down to your own interpretation.

What exactly do you expect them to do, and what kind of “interaction” are you expecting?

Why is someone walking past you and not batting an eyelid displaying an air of superiority? I would fit into that category, and it’s not a case of looking down (or indeed up), just that I genuinely don’t give a toss what someone else is doing if it doesn’t affect me.

Quite!

I did experience a driver walking through his train very politely speaking to everyone personally a few weeks ago when there was an extended delay (it also seemed to be the case that the unit in question had been running round with no PA), however that was a 2-car 150/2 on a very lightly loaded Okehampton run - what happens in rural Devon isn’t going to be the case everywhere!

Rather begs the question: what was the guard doing? :lol:

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I suspect this just means: drivers walk past you. The “air of superiority” is likely down to your own interpretation.

What exactly do you expect them to do, and what kind of “interaction” are you expecting?

Quite!

Erm, like saying "Hello" as a driver walks towards me making eye contact and then blanking me

Asking a driver who isn't busy a pertinent question and he rudely retorts "ask the guard, or platform staff"

And please don't ask me how I know the driver is being rude <D

bramling

Veteran Member

He’d started doing same from the back of the train. The whole thing made an impression as it is quite an unusual thing to see happen. Then again, Exeter staff seem pretty friendly - as indeed is Exeter as a city.

The whole thing was a bit overkill, but to be fair it did leave a good impression. A new driver, possibly? :)

Erm, like saying "Hello" as a driver walks towards me making eye contact and then blanking me

Asking a driver who isn't busy a pertinent question and he rudely retorts "ask the guard, or platform staff"

Out of interest, what was the pertinent question? Do you know for sure the driver didn’t need to be somewhere?

Established Member

Hmm. Do you generally go around saying “hello” to complete strangers when you have no reason to interact with them? That sounds bizarre and potentially a little creepy, to be honest. Keep in mind they’re there to do a job, not to make small talk with you.

It’s highly likely they don’t know the answer. Hence they’re (helpfully) pointing you to someone who does. That’s exactly what I say in that situation.

He’d started doing same from the back of the train. The whole thing made an impression as it is quite an unusual thing to see happen. Then again, Exeter staff seem pretty friendly - as indeed is Exeter as a city.

Fair enough, good on them! It’s safe to say you wouldn’t get that anywhere in the southeast! A totally different culture in the Southeast, not necessarily a better one.

Edsmith

How could I possibly know !? That's a bit condescending

I know after many years of taking notice of behaviours, demeanours and first-hand exchanges....

In case you didn't know, I have been travelling on and photographing the railway for over 40 years and interacted with most grades of staff, including drivers with, and without a camera on my person. Many drivers walk past me with an air of superiority and don't bat an eyelid whilst others are very engaging...

I am not a complete moron thank you very much .... <(
To be quite honest I find this quite bizarre, I've been travelling on the railway for a similar length of time to yourself but very rarely do I see or have any interaction with train drivers, guards and platform staff perhaps but obviously the driver is in the cab. Can you elaborate on this "air of superiority" that you say some of them have?

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, the mess room... And before you ask another stupid question, he wasn't in a hurry

So quite possibly 30 mins to make and eat foot + go to the toilet + any other stuff needing to be done on a break. For many drivers the default response is going to be along the lines of what you got, simply because on many occasions there won’t be the time to get waylayed, especially as on many occasions a driver may well genuinely not know the answer to the problem or have the resources to solve it. This isn’t superiority, just simple reality.

And, of course, no one wants a train delayed because the driver is busy answering questions, especially when a good proportion of the population don’t have the self-awareness to be able to identify that someone is either busy or in a rush.

Purple Train

Established Member
Hmm. Do you generally go around saying “hello” to complete strangers when you have no reason to interact with them? That sounds bizarre and potentially a little creepy, to be honest.
If the person in question is walking up to them and saying "hello", I can see your point, but if they're crossing paths, then it is customary and polite to make some slight acknowledgement in passing, such as "hello" - where I grew up, at least!

the sniper

Established Member
Was there a Greggs involved? I've read that is problem with Train Drivers.

bramling

Veteran Member
If the person in question is walking up to them and saying "hello", I can see your point, but if they're crossing paths, then it is customary and polite to make some slight acknowledgement in passing, such as "hello" - where I grew up, at least!

Might be some cross purposes due to regional variations here. In the south-east this *isn’t* really the done thing, and indeed in many cases would be viewed with some suspicion.

Established Member

If you’re out for a country walk somewhere and encounter people coming the other way, agreed. That isn’t generally what happens on station platforms, in my experience!

Sheridan

A driver might cross paths with anywhere between 5 and 500 people between leaving their train and reaching the mess room. Is it customary and polite to say hello to all of them?

Purple Train

Established Member
A driver might cross paths with anywhere between 5 and 500 people between leaving their train and reaching the mess room. Is it customary and polite to say hello to all of them?
I was using a slightly different definition of "cross paths": my apologies for failing to clarify.
Might be some cross purposes due to regional variations here. In the south-east this *isn’t* really the done thing, and indeed in many cases would be viewed with some suspicion.
Oh. Maybe it wasn't the best idea for me to move down here then ;)

bramling

Veteran Member
Oh. Maybe it wasn't the best idea for me to move down here then ;)

Not sure why anyone would want to move *to* the London / south-east area, to be honest. The only real benefit over anywhere else is it isn’t quite so rainy, though you’d be forgiven for wondering about even that at the moment.

Purple Train

Established Member
Just remember, if someone speaks to you in London, they’re either about to ask you for money, or they’re mad. :lol:
(link to YouTube video entitled "Northerner terrifies Londoners by saying hello": do I have to include an extract from the description in quote tags?)

:lol:
Not sure why anyone would want to move *to* the London / south-east area, to be honest. The only real benefit over anywhere else is it isn’t quite so rainy, though you’d be forgiven for wondering about even that at the moment.
My current view through the window makes me somewhat doubt your assertion :lol:

I'm done with this as we're straying way off topic
Good idea; apologies for straying from the topic, mods :oops:

Established Member
Another completely stupid question. Actually, I do know where many of the mess rooms are ....

Do you indeed?! You aren’t doing yourself any favours on the creepiness front…

ink to YouTube video entitled "Northerner terrifies Londoners by saying hello": do I have to include an extract from the description in quote tags?)

Very good. :lol:

Oh dear, I must be mad... <D

Well, you said it! ;)

Dieseldriver

Another completely stupid question. Actually, I do know where many of the mess rooms are ....

I'm done with this as we're straying way off topic
Based on your behaviour here, if I ever encountered you, I’d be inclined to avoid any interaction with you too.

Established Member
I'm afraid you've now utterly confused me, as it was a genuine question (I'm not quite sure which, and I don't want to get it wrong because I've already been in hot water for not referring to external sources properly).

Sorry my reaction there was aimed at the video - yes, I believe forum policy is to include a text description of media sources for hard of hearing/visually impaired users

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK I think it’s probably time to draw this slightly fractious thread to close.
Go and put the kettle on and relax. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.