• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess on Merseytravel Saveaway Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Planning a weekend in Liverpool and want to use a Saveaway Ticket on the Saturday (£5.65) for all zones. If I decide to visit Warrington will it be fairly easy to buy a day return from the boundary of the Saveaway Ticket to Warrington or will I have to buy a ticket from the last station the Saveaway is valid at? Reason I ask is with a 'boundary to Warrington' ticket I won't have to think about the intermediate stations stopped at.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, there are no boundary zone tickets for Saveaways. You'll need to buy a day return from Earlestown or Hough Green depending which way you're going BEFORE you call at the last station your train serves before the boundary. A Saveaway is a "zonal ticket" and unlike the Midlands ones its T&Cs don't exclude (indeed, specifically provide for*) the use for non stop splits alongside NRCoT condition 14.3 so those are the two that should be needed, but don't be surprised if staff are awkward about it if you're using a non stop train e.g. the EMR - @LowLevel, I know you work those, how do you see it?

* 3.4 You must use your Saveaway Ticket within the area(s) chosen for your journey. If you make a journey outside of the valid area(s) of your Saveaway Ticket or if your journey crosses the ticket boundary to Cheshire, Halton, Greater Manchester or Lancashire (except where stated in clause 3.2 above), that part of your journey is not covered by the Saveaway Ticket and you will be subject to additional fares from the point you leave the ticket boundary to your final destination. You are responsible for ensuring that your Saveaway Ticket covers your entire journey and where it does not, that you have purchased any additional tickets required to reach your destination before setting off.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Thanks for the advice on this.

Bought a day return from Hough Green to Warrington (there were very few trains from Earlestown to Warrington). Outward the train stopped at Hough Green. The return was a EMR service not stopping at Hough Green, but the conductor was quite happy to accept the split ticket, just waved me on when I asked prior to boarding.

What surprised me was that the ticket office at Old Roan refused to issue a Saveaway on a conventional ticket, insisting that I pay an extra pound for a reusable plastic Metrocard. Never had this at Lea Green where the ticket is issued on conventional orange stock.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for the advice on this.

Bought a day return from Hough Green to Warrington (there were very few trains from Earlestown to Warrington). Outward the train stopped at Hough Green. The return was a EMR service not stopping at Hough Green, but the conductor was quite happy to accept the split ticket, just waved me on when I asked prior to boarding.

What surprised me was that the ticket office at Old Roan refused to issue a Saveaway on a conventional ticket, insisting that I pay an extra pound for a reusable plastic Metrocard. Never had this at Lea Green where the ticket is issued on conventional orange stock.
Unfortunately Merseyrail stations refuse to issue Saveaways on CCST. It's frankly ridiculous. Lea Green is a Northern managed station so they still sell them in the 'traditional' way.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unfortunately Merseyrail stations refuse to issue Saveaways on CCST. It's frankly ridiculous. Lea Green is a Northern managed station so they still sell them in the 'traditional' way.

This is the PTE's decision; they'd rather Northern did the same but for some reason (incompatible TIS?) they won't.

gray1404

Established Member
I saw a notice on the Merseyrail website about a week ago saying they would not be able to issue Saveaways, or other smart card based tickets, for much of a day due to a system upgrade and that customers should purchase their tickets in advance.

This was a disgusting solution as one would have thought for that day only they would have reverted to simply issuing Saveaway on traditional ticketing stock given they have the ability.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Much like TfL and Travelcard seasons, it's the way things are heading.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for Merseyrail which would be better off just doing e-tickets on bog roll. Merseyrail doesn't require the speed of passing gatelines that TfL does, it all runs a bit slower and (formerly at least*) friendlier.

* Unfortunately it has more than its fair share of quite rude, abrasive staff these days, it's not the friendly little network it was in the 90s and earlier, though some are still pleasant.

gray1404

Established Member
It doesn't make a lot of sense for Merseyrail which would be better off just doing e-tickets on bog roll. Merseyrail doesn't require the speed of passing gatelines that TfL does, it all runs a bit slower and (formerly at least*) friendlier.

* Unfortunately it has more than its fair share of quite rude, abrasive staff these days, it's not the friendly little network it was in the 90s and earlier, though some are still pleasant.
I do get quite frustrated at the slowness of people using the gate lines at Southport hands Liverpool Central. I would have thought they would have been used to them by now but there is still a high level of hesitancy and slowness.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I do get quite frustrated at the slowness of people using the gate lines at Southport hands Liverpool Central. I would have thought they would have been used to them by now but there is still a high level of hesitancy and slowness.

I must admit I have noticed a bit of import of London style practices and impatience on Merseyside. In particular people now stand on the right on the escalators so people can walk up the left. This was never the case when I was a kid, you stood on both sides, and if in a hurry tough, you missed your train and waited for the next one.

gray1404

Established Member
I must admit I have noticed a bit of import of London style practices and impatience on Merseyside. In particular people now stand on the right on the escalators so people can walk up the left. This was never the case when I was a kid, you stood on both sides, and if in a hurry tough, you missed your train and waited for the next one.
I have to admit people still stand on the left on Merseyrail escalators and I'm sick to death and asking people to please stand on the right. This particularly happens when a crowd of people get off a train at Liverpool Central. All of the signage is such that it does say stand on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.