• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excesses And Single Leg Pricing.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Some friends are heading from Edinburgh to Liverpool at the weekend. Due to engineering works they are heading down via York and the East Coast but returning the "traditional" way via Lancaster/Carlisle.

They will be travelling on flexible Off Peak tickets.

Previously, they would have purchased the cheaper via Lancaster/Carlisle return and excessed the appropriate leg via York to the any permitted thereby paying ½ the difference between the appropriate return fares.

However, AFAIAA, there is no longer an appropriate any permitted return fare via York to facilitate this. Do we just use the difference between the appropriate single fares?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Do we just use the difference between the appropriate single fares?
This isn't set out, but I would say it should be the difference between half the price of the return and the full price of the equivalent single.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Off Peak Return (SVR) Edinburgh to Liverpool Stns is £128.40 route "Any Permitted" or £102.50 route "via Preston". This before any applicable railcard discount.

So, if the £128.40 ticket is held, there's nothing further to pay, or any refund due, but if the £102.50 ticket is held, then I reckon an extra £12.95 per person to pay for the (one-way) change of route excess on the outward leg?

Anyone agree / disagree?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Off Peak Return (SVR) Edinburgh to Liverpool Stns is £128.40 route "Any Permitted" or £102.50 route "via Preston".

Good spot. I failed to check that there was in fact still an any permitted return priced by LNER - most fares under their control are now singles only.

This simplifies matters somewhat. ½ the difference between the two fares for one leg.

I'll let my friends know.