• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences of travelling on XC HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

By chance of being in Tiverton M5 Travelodge for 2 nights with the family decided to do the sole Leeds to Plymouth HST on Saturday when I saw it was allocated. Ran punctually, train clean (albeit seat cushions full of dark staining since last refurb), moderately comfortable albeit not as good as the old mk3 seating, socket to charge phones working fine, and lightly loaded so easily got a bay of 4 which helped with the youngest being unable to be silent and still for 75 minutes! Good choice as the 11xx behind was a 158 vice fun size GW Castle so wouldn't have been nice on that. Rarely travel by train, especially on the mainline now, and it was the first XC HST I've used since about 2003/04 ish.

Off topic, but the rest of the day was...
A few shops then a few hours in the Aquarium and stroll along the harbour, couple more shops, then into the same Chinese takeaway away as per used 20 years ago on the +27 break while 1C44 was running round for its trip back to Paddington.

Just missed the Penzance - Paddington IET type unit so 1650 Penzance to Cardiff back to Tiverton which meant a first ride on the fun size HST. The XC one flew along like they should in the morning, but the GW thing was nearer to a porsche accelerating from all the stops. OK until Exeter when a Hyacinth Bucket esque character spoilt things and boarded with husband plus mother in that full rant mode, I've not missed all these years, because the train hadn't been cleaned and the OK (albeit rough at the edges) family who had left at Newton Abbot had left a small amount of litter on the table Hyacinth Mk2 picked. I told her the train had been in service since Penzance and the bins were all full (the family had actually looked for a place to put their rubbish). In fact I would have moved the rubbish for her if she wasn't so rude and glaring at us as if it was our fault! The glaring and persistent tutting did cause my partner to get into a undesirable debate with her so we were glad to be leaving at Tiverton (her husband got ranted at too for not defending her honour). Think the return journey spoilt the travel side a little and with kids travelling may just drive it next time as it was several quid more when I worked it out and slightly more stress than the car.

It's a shame the last remotely close to OK XC stock is on borrowed time now and the 5x sets may land up a scrapyard within a couple of years much as I used to prefer avoiding them for loco hauled alternatives, unless the tow bar came out with the right result.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
By chance of being in Tiverton M5 Travelodge for 2 nights with the family decided to do the sole Leeds to Plymouth HST on Saturday when I saw it was allocated. Ran punctually, train clean (albeit seat cushions full of dark staining since last refurb), moderately comfortable albeit not as good as the old mk3 seating, socket to charge phones working fine, and lightly loaded so easily got a bay of 4 which helped with the youngest being unable to be silent and still for 75 minutes! Good choice as the 11xx behind was a 158 vice fun size GW Castle so wouldn't have been nice on that. Rarely travel by train, especially on the mainline now, and it was the first XC HST I've used since about 2003/04 ish.

Off topic, but the rest of the day was...
A few shops then a few hours in the Aquarium and stroll along the harbour, couple more shops, then into the same Chinese takeaway away as per used 20 years ago on the +27 break while 1C44 was running round for its trip back to Paddington.

Just missed the Penzance - Paddington IET type unit so 1650 Penzance to Cardiff back to Tiverton which meant a first ride on the fun size HST. The XC one flew along like they should in the morning, but the GW thing was nearer to a porsche accelerating from all the stops. OK until Exeter when a Hyacinth Bucket esque character spoilt things and boarded with husband plus mother in that full rant mode, I've not missed all these years, because the train hadn't been cleaned and the OK (albeit rough at the edges) family who had left at Newton Abbot had left a small amount of litter on the table Hyacinth Mk2 picked. I told her the train had been in service since Penzance and the bins were all full (the family had actually looked for a place to put their rubbish). In fact I would have moved the rubbish for her if she wasn't so rude and glaring at us as if it was our fault! The glaring and persistent tutting did cause my partner to get into a undesirable debate with her so we were glad to be leaving at Tiverton (her husband got ranted at too for not defending her honour). Think the return journey spoilt the travel side a little and with kids travelling may just drive it next time as it was several quid more when I worked it out and slightly more stress than the car.

It's a shame the last remotely close to OK XC stock is on borrowed time now and the 5x sets may land up a scrapyard within a couple of years much as I used to prefer avoiding them for loco hauled alternatives, unless the tow bar came out with the right result.
:lol: We’ve all come across people like that before.
I was on a train in the 1990s once and a guy stood up and told a person like that to shut up. The rest of the carriage cheered and clapped but I’m not sure if that would happen these days…

:lol: We’ve all come across people like that before.
I was on a train in the 1990s once and a guy stood up and told a person like that to shut up. The rest of the carriage cheered and clapped but I’m not sure if that would happen these days…

The other passengers were mostly glued to their phones and/or sat with various headphones in and whatever music or media playing so didn't worry about Mrs Bucket. In years gone by (say 20+ years ago) on a loco n' coaches she would have caused a riot (of noise) if doing that in a front coach and possibly considered shifting, probably not unjustifiably. It's not like she was entering a restaurant and the waiting staff had showed her to an uncleared table. Plenty of other seats, minus a small amount of litter too. Don't envy the person who will have to waste time replying to her complaint letter no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.