• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired Railcard Prosecution

justinhurst

Hi There,

I travelled to Stanstead from Liverpool Street a few weeks back- I bought a ticket with my Railcard which I hadn’t realised expired in September.

I was stopped at Stanstead and offered to pay the difference or buy a full ticket, explaining that I hadn’t realised. I rarely travel by train, I have only taken 2 other short trips since it expired.

I was not issued a penalty fare at the time and they took my details and asked a few questions which I answered calmly.

I today recieved a Prosecution Case letter attached, I anticipated paying around £50 for the fine and now have £100 settlement charge. I’m confused as to why it wouldn’t be a penalty fare as I have no previous fines and didn’t cause a fuss.

Is there anything I can do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The railway do not need to offer a penalty fare. Most would suggest settling the amount stated to avoid escalation to criminal court.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It looks like the fare avoided element is simply the difference in fare - they could quite easily (and often do) ask for the full cost of an Anytime single for the journey taken.

So I'd pay it quickly, learn the lesson to be more organised in future, and move on.

Gloster

Established Member
Hi There,

I travelled to Stanstead from Liverpool Street a few weeks back- I bought a ticket with my Railcard which I hadn’t realised expired in September.

I was stopped at Stanstead and offered to pay the difference or buy a full ticket, explaining that I hadn’t realised. I rarely travel by train, I have only taken 2 other short trips since it expired.

I was not issued a penalty fare at the time and they took my details and asked a few questions which I answered calmly.

I today recieved a Prosecution Case letter attached, I anticipated paying around £50 for the fine and now have £100 settlement charge. I’m confused as to why it wouldn’t be a penalty fare as I have no previous fines and didn’t cause a fuss.

Is there anything I can do?

You might consider obscuring your name and the reference number in the image and changing your user name (see mods to find out how). However, this is less of a problem for you as your problem seems a fairly straightforward one of a simple mistake, rather than one where the OP has done all sorts of dodgy things that they want to keep hidden.

I would simply say that the best thing is to pay the money before the due date. If you don’t the problem is likely to escalate and end up with you going to court, where I am pretty certain you would lose. Paying the sum asked closes the matter.

I am not an expert, but I believe when the experts come along they will say the same thing.

Veteran Member
Settle it before it goes to court. Not worth the extra headache and higher potential fine.
Agreed. Expired railcards don't seem to be treated as PF matters, as there is too much fraud along as well as carelessness like the OP's.

fandroid

Established Member
Agreed. Expired railcards don't seem to be treated as PF matters, as there is too much fraud along as well as carelessness like the OP's.
Agreed. The train companies have no way of knowing whether it's a genuine mistake or whether someone is carrying an expired Railcard as cover for a frequent scam. It's too late now for a Penalty Fare, and it would be no favour to you if they looked at your purchase history and found the previous trips.

Pay up, renew the Railcard, and put a reminder of the expiry date on your phone.

AdamWW

Established Member
Agreed. The train companies have no way of knowing whether it's a genuine mistake or whether someone is carrying an expired Railcard as cover for a frequent scam. It's too late now for a Penalty Fare, and it would be no favour to you if they looked at your purchase history and found the previous trips.

Pay up, renew the Railcard, and put a reminder of the expiry date on your phone.

The thing about failing to renew a railcard that you qualify for is that no matter how many times you do it, the railway is at most only £30 worse off off per year than if you'd renewed.

So maybe a PF at £50 isn't that unreasonable.