• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Falsely used 16-25 railcard. investigated letter received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
They say max is fine is £1000 what if my bunking goes beyond that number is 1000 the definite max I could be charged or is it unlimited and subject to all bunking accumulated over time
If you are convicted by a court my understanding is that you could be liable for the following:

A fine of up to £1,000
plus
Compensation to the rail operator
plus
Costs
plus
Victim surcharge.

If you are able to negotiate an out of court settlement you will be liable for the fares avoided + costs.

If any of the above is incorrect I'm sure someone on here will be able to correct.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...typically £16 journeys and £4 journeys
Are these the full undiscounted Anytime Day Single fares for the various journeys you made? (Not sure if you actually responded with any relevant information with respect to post #3 upthread).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Moderator Note:

I’ve merged the OP’s query on QR (Aztec) codes into this one to keep everything in one place relating to this discussion.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am a student working part time at uni on £10 an hour it’s impossible I’d have that type of money what will I do
You will either need to borrow it from friends/family or another source, I'm afraid, or risk being taken to the magistrates' court.

Killingworth

Established Member
I'm at something of a loss to understand how the OP can have bought discounted tickets to be used with a Railcard without noting the wording "You must carry your valid railcard with you when you travel. Failure to do so will result in the full undiscounted fare being payable."

I've been waiting for them to say they previously had a card but lost it, or hadn't realised it had expired but now it seems it has been deliberate and knowing fare evasion on multiple occasions. If they had a card that's expired that might be very slightly helpful to aid understanding but doesn't reduce the offence. As a student they may get a little more lenience, not least because the TOC can't get blood out of a stone. It's not a parent's debt and it may be better to keep them out of it for now.

LJA

Moot point now but people who are eligible for a railcard buying discounted tickets but not the actual railcard (presumably to “save” money) baffles me - risk vs reward!

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I am a student working part time at uni on £10 an hour it’s impossible I’d have that type of money what will I do
Ultimately, you will have a choice if offered a settlement. Find the money (legitimately!) to pay it immediately, or don't pay and it will go to court.

As well as the financial implications if it goes to court, (ie the overall cost is likely to be higher than the settlement offer, though you will be able to pay by instalments), you need to consider the career implications. It's one thing to have to disclose a conviction for one offence, which can often be explained away by being a genuine mistake, and quite another to explain why the amount paid was so high, and that you were convicted of persistent fraudulent actions over a period of not far short of a year. You'll easily see that employers will take a much dimmer view of the latter, particularly if you aspire to working in a sector where honesty is regarded as paramount (eg law, financial services, health and social care).

ADHappySad

Of course that was the thrust of your question (!)

You do realise the posters here are not stupid and neither are the train
Moot point now but people who are eligible for a railcard buying discounted tickets but not the actual railcard (presumably to “save” money) baffles me - risk vs reward!
I have further checked and I had a railcard 4 months into the dates they are claiming I didn’t have one is it worth sending them that as it incriminates myself 100% for the other 8 months of that year but it would shave off what they expect me to pay for the 4 months they’re asking of me ?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
So when you were previously stopped, you had an in date railcard, but were simply not in possession of it?

ADHappySad

Ultimately, you will have a choice if offered a settlement. Find the money (legitimately!) to pay it immediately, or don't pay and it will go to court.

As well as the financial implications if it goes to court, (ie the overall cost is likely to be higher than the settlement offer, though you will be able to pay by instalments), you need to consider the career implications. It's one thing to have to disclose a conviction for one offence, which can often be explained away by being a genuine mistake, and quite another to explain why the amount paid was so high, and that you were convicted of persistent fraudulent actions over a period of not far short of a year. You'll easily see that employers will take a much dimmer view of the latter, particularly if you aspire to working in a sector where honesty is regarded as paramount (eg law, financial services, health and social care).
I have further checked and I had a railcard 4 months into the dates they are claiming I didn’t have one is it worth sending them that as it incriminates myself 100% for the other 8 months of that year but it would shave off what they expect me to pay for the 4 months they’re asking of me ?

So when you were previously stopped, you had an in date railcard, but were simply not in possession of it?
The date I was stopped I didn’t have it no but they are saying after further investigation we have seen you had no 16-25 4months prior to when stopped yet I had a valid one 4months prior to that and have found it on my phone

Is it worth showing them that evidence and shaving off 4 months but then incriminating myself for the months after I got stopped or not showing it to them at all

skyhigh

Established Member
It would probably help if you uploaded copies of any emails/letters you've received (with your personal details covered).

WesternLancer

Established Member
If the OP is a student I'd be going to the student union welfare centre and seeing if they have a cheap or free deal with a solictor who can help - they often do.

LAX54

Established Member
Of course that was the thrust of your question (!)

You do realise the posters here are not stupid and neither are the train company.
Says he cannot afford to pay if they offer a 'settlement' so I am guessing it will progress further to Court, where it will be revealed to the Court, was caught 9 months ago, (or 12) but carried on doing it un till caught again ?

danm14

Especially students - given that they can get a free four-year one by opening a bank account with Santander!

Status
Not open for further replies.