• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fancy driving a train ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
It's a bleedin' diseasel! I prefer by far driving steam locomotives; they may be dirty and hot, but they ooze character. If I wanted to drive a diseasel I'd get a job as a bus driver!

The Decapod

I'm a steam fan but I'm also a diesel fan and so I think diesels ooze character too.

But in the case of a diesel loco disguised as a miniature replica of an express steam loco, though, I do have my doubts!!

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
Isn't it quite hard to get a licence to drive buses these days?

No, it's easy. Bus companies always want drivers; it's such a low paid and horrid job that there is a big turnover of drivers who leave when they find something better to do.

notadriver

Established Member
What I find interesting is that (unless someone has a different experience), there seems to be a high proportion of tram drivers who were bus drivers but I hardly know any train drivers who were either bus drivers or tram drivers.

Minilad

Established Member
What I find interesting is that (unless someone has a different experience), there seems to be a high proportion of tram drivers who were bus drivers but I hardly know any train drivers who were either bus drivers or tram drivers.

I was a bus driver both with London Transport and West Midlands Travel before getting a job on the Railway in a ticket office with Central Trains.
I know of at least 4 others at New St XC who were bus drivers. Two of whom came direct from bus driving to train driving

strange6

Established Member
I was a bus driver both with London Transport and West Midlands Travel before getting a job on the Railway in a ticket office with Central Trains.
I know of at least 4 others at New St XC who were bus drivers. Two of whom came direct from bus driving to train driving

Then you should know it's not easy getting your PCV license! Funny how a lot of train drivers come from the buses

Minilad

Established Member
Then you should know it's not easy getting your PCV license! Funny how a lot of train drivers come from the buses

It was a PSV license when I passed !!
No it wasn't easy but it was in 1985 so couldn't comment on what it would be like now
Passed my test on RM711 :D

notadriver

Established Member
That's quite interesting XCdriver. None were bus drivers on my course and noone else but I don't know everyone of course. Speaking to some bus drivers I do know, many have attempted to change careers but failed the aptitude tests. Maybe it's more difficult now then it was in years gone by (when there was no aptitude test to pass?)

DJ_K666

There are a good few on Southern Trains. I am a bus driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.