• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy: You can create your own Multiple Unit/Multiple Unit Family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetudo boy

If you created any MU/MU family, what would you make? No, literally. If you had the power to manufacture any type of Multiple Unit or Family, what would you come up with?
Here's the default template:
  • Train class/family name:
  • Replacing:
  • Number Built:
  • Number of carriages:
  • Capacity:
  • Operator(s) :
  • Train Length:
  • Car length:
  • Width:
  • Height:
  • Door Formation:
  • Maximum Speed:
  • Traction System:
  • Prime mover(s) :
  • Transmission:
  • Acceleration:
  • Deceleration:
  • Multiple Working:
  • Illustration:
You are free to add any extra information or delete any of them. I might make a thread dedicated to locomotives and coaching stock. Illustrations are accepted!​

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"Class 344". Exactly the same as Class 444 but with a pantograph. To be used on the WCML Trent Valley semifast service in 5 and 10-car formations.

(The CAF EMUs for TPE aren't far off, but they don't quite have the Siemens badge of quality! :) )

Energy

Established Member
"Class 344". Exactly the same as Class 444 but with a pantograph. To be used on the WCML Trent Valley semifast service in 5 and 10-car formations.

(The CAF EMUs for TPE aren't far off, but they don't quite have the Siemens badge of quality! :) )
Can we have bimode ones as well for partly electrified lines :)

tetudo boy

That would Increase capacity! :)

D365

Veteran Member

Isn't that what the Class 730s are doing? Albeit in a suburban configuration.

popeter45

i would love a system of MU's family what was easy to swap the power source or quickly reconfigure in a depot
e.g. first delivered with a Diesel power car that power motors under call cars but once line is electrified replace that with a passenger car with a panto-graph so only one car needs replacing rather than needing to buy a entire new fleet

other idea is a fleet of couchette Multiple units to act as small load sleepers then become day coaches to avoid downtime

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
i would love a system of MU's family what was easy to swap the power source or quickly reconfigure in a depot
e.g. first delivered with a Diesel power car that power motors under call cars but once line is electrified replace that with a passenger car with a panto-graph so only one car needs replacing rather than needing to buy a entire new fleet

There is one, the Stadler FLIRT, you can add and remove power cars and swap the engines for batteries. Actually in a way the older Stadler GTW was even more modular, as the pantograph and transformer were in the centre module, rather than the FLIRT being an EMU to which you can add a generator and/or battery module.

tetudo boy

I'll do my example:
  • Train class/family name: Class 775 BMMU
  • Family: Genatis (My own family of trains)
  • Replacing: Class 185
  • Number Built: 30
  • Number of carriages: 6/3
  • Operator(s) : TransPennine Express/CrossCountry
  • Door Formation: ⅓-⅔
  • Maximum Speed: 110 Mph
  • Traction System: EcoMove110 (My own type of Traction System)
  • Prime mover(s) : EcoMove 360 engine (One engine per carriage)(My own type of Prime Mover)
  • Transmission: Continuous Variable Transmission 7-speed EcoMove (My own type of Transmission)
  • Acceleration: 0.90 m/s/s (Diesel mode) 1.6 m/s/s (Electric Mode)
  • Multiple Working: Class 185
Remember, Illustrations are accepted and you can add or delete information if you feel like it!

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member

That's (almost) how all the Hitachi bi-modes have been designed - as soon as the Diesel engines aren't required they can be removed to just leave an EMU. The other advantage of building it as an bi-mode rather than this swapping in/out concept is that it can still use overhead before it's conversion.

D365

Veteran Member
I'll do my example:
  • Train class/family name: Class 775 BMMU
  • Family: Genatis (My own family of trains)
  • Replacing: Class 185
  • Number Built: 30
  • Number of carriages: 6/3
  • Operator(s) : TransPennine Express/East Midlands Railway
  • Door Formation: ⅓-⅔
  • Maximum Speed: 110 Mph
  • Traction System: EcoMove110 (My own type of Traction System)
  • Prime mover(s) : EcoMove 360 engine (One engine per carriage)(My own type of Prime Mover)
  • Transmission: Electro-Mechanical 7-speed EcoMove (My own type of Transmision)
  • Acceleration: 0.90 m/s/s (Diesel mode) 1.6 m/s/s (Electric Mode)
  • Multiple Working: Class 185
Remember, Illustrations are accepted and you can add or delete information if you feel like it!

I'd be interested to know a few technical details:

1) What's an "electro-mechanical" transmission?
2) How did you calculate those acceleration rates?
3) What's the special feature of the engine that means you can't buy one from an existing manufacturer?
4) How do you make your units compatible with those from a rival manufacturer, who would be very unlikely to share technical specification.

tetudo boy

1) What's an "electro-mechanical" transmission?
Electro-Mechanical transmission is basically Mechanical transmission but it includes Diesel-Electric traits, such as Electricity powering the Mechanical gears. It's just something I came up with
2) How did you calculate those acceleration rates?
I think I just calculated them by guessing how fast the acceleration rate was by looking on Wikipedia to get an idea of how you calculate them, but I may be entirely wrong.
3) What's the special feature of the engine that means you can't buy one from an existing manufacturer?
I haven't decided on how the engine can be different from any others, but I might come up with a difference later.
4) How do you make your units compatible with those from a rival manufacturer, who would be very unlikely to share technical specification.
The units would probably be faster than previous trains and also hold more passengers.

This is just an example so please don't take it as seriously as possible!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Electro-Mechanical transmission is basically Mechanical transmission but it includes Diesel-Electric traits, such as Electricity powering the Mechanical gears. It's just something I came up with

You might want to have a read of how the transmission on the Toyota Prius works. It's actually something sort of along those lines.

tetudo boy

Continuous variable transmission..? Is that mechanical and electric? Does the class 195 and class 172 use the same or is this something different?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Continuous variable transmission..? Is that mechanical and electric? Does the class 195 and class 172 use the same or is this something different?

It's all mechanical (other than the electric motor powering from the battery). It's a bit hard to explain how it works but there are some good videos about it out there, it's quite an ingenious design.

Classes 195 and 172 have an automatic mechanical gearbox (epicyclic, I'd expect), basically the same sort of thing you'd find on a bus or a traditional automatic car. Most probably electronically controlled.

tetudo boy

It's all mechanical (other than the electric motor powering from the battery). It's a bit hard to explain how it works but there are some good videos about it out there, it's quite an ingenious design.

Classes 195 and 172 have an automatic mechanical gearbox (epicyclic, I'd expect), basically the same sort of thing you'd find on a bus or a traditional automatic car. Most probably electronically controlled.
Can there still be a mix of Diesel-Electric and Diesel-Mechanical then?

Bevan Price

Established Member
1. Built 2030-2035 onwards
Class 890
Replacing 390
Operator WCML
Coaches 12: (10x Standard; First class - each end coach only)
Coach length 23m.
Doors at coach ends
Traction: Bi-mode, Electric / Diesel Electric
Speed 125 mph
Acceleration Medium-fast

Operator required to maintain crew route knowledge over diversionary routes (including S&C, Trans Pennine; ECML, Newcastle - Carlisle; GSWR route via Dumfries, so that rail replacement buses are eliminated as far as possible)

2. Built 2030-2035 onwards.
Several versions based on one basic coach design.
(a) Class 100 (reusing an obsolete TOPS code): DEMU, convertible to electric or bi-mode.
(b) Class 300: EMU (AC)
(c) Class 400: EMU (DC).
(d) Class 850: Bi-mode DEMU/EMU(AC)
Replacing: 15x, 16x, any remaining 31x, 32x.
Operates widely
Coaches: Versions with 6, 4 & 3 coaches.
Coach length 23m
Standard Class only.
Doors: 1/3 & 2/3.
Speed 110 mph
Acceleration Rapid.
Designed to operate suburban & semi-fast services.

popeter45

Class 890
Replacing 390
Operator WCML
Coach length 23m.
Doors at coach ends
Speed 125 mph
Acceleration Medium-fast

Operator required to maintain crew route knowledge over diversionary routes (including S&C, Trans Pennine; ECML, Newcastle - Carlisle; GSWR route via Dumfries, so that rail replacement buses are eliminated as far as possible)

2. Built 2030-2035 onwards.
Several versions based on one basic coach design.
(a) Class 100 (reusing an obsolete TOPS code): DEMU, convertible to electric or bi-mode.
(b) Class 300: EMU (AC)
(c) Class 400: EMU (DC).
(d) Class 850: Bi-mode DEMU/EMU(AC)
Replacing: 15x, 16x, any remaining 31x, 32x.
Operates widely
Coaches: Versions with 6, 4 & 3 coaches.
Coach length 23m
Standard Class only.
Doors: 1/3 & 2/3.
Speed 110 mph
Acceleration Rapid.
Designed to operate suburban & semi-fast services.
i would combine the AC and DC EMU's and make it a subset of the 850 (850/5?)
also 800 series is for high speeds units so would 850 would instead go in 700 series (750?)
100 Series is for DMU's not DEMU's, class 200 would fit more

Energy

Established Member
Class 890
Replacing 390
Operator WCML
Coach length 23m.
Doors at coach ends
Speed 125 mph
Acceleration Medium-fast

Operator required to maintain crew route knowledge over diversionary routes (including S&C, Trans Pennine; ECML, Newcastle - Carlisle; GSWR route via Dumfries, so that rail replacement buses are eliminated as far as possible
Acceleration should be fast and I would go for 140mph.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
850? 344? Are we inventing trains or talking about 1980s and 1990s Volvos?

How about a Class 480, complete with pop-up headlights and dodgy on-board computer? :lol:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'd build a unit for CrossCountry trains capable of working on Diesel Power, OHLE and third rail, five carriages with nose end connections to enable two sets to operate with one train manager

tetudo boy

I'd build a unit for CrossCountry trains capable of working on Diesel Power, OHLE and third rail, five carriages with nose end connections to enable two sets to operate with one train manager
You should also consider having nine or four carriage sets to deal with intense and unacceptable overcrowding problems on CrossCountry services. The problem is it might be a Hitachi unit and in my opinion, there are too many Hitachi IEP's, so if it were a different family, that would be cool. Maybe a Civity? But this is a fantasy thread, so I guess it's up to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.