• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare anomoly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BingMan

On Tuesday I had occasion to travel from Whaley Bridge to Stockport.
Because my 'phone with its Northern app was not to hand I checked times on the National Rail web site.
As well as giving me times that told me that the cheapest travel was to buy two singles at £2.20; £4.40.

When my phone turned up I called up the Northern app to buy the tickets and was surprised that they wanted to charge me £8.80 for a return ticket.
Naturally I bough the tickets through the Northern Rail website but still from Northern.

Can anyone explain this not insignificant difference?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Did you ask for an “open return” on the Northern app?

The app sells its advance fares so there’s no reason you wouldn’t have been able to see it had you asked merely for a single or for a return. “Open return” will show you only walk up fares.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@BingMan. What fares/ tickets were they exactly? Are you comparing the price of 2 x £2.20 advance tickets, one in each direction, and possibly also with railcard discount, with that of an undiscounted Off Peak Day Return, which I believe is £8.60, rather than £8.80.

BingMan

Did you ask for an “open return” on the Northern app?

The app sells its advance fares so there’s no reason you wouldn’t have been able to see it had you asked merely for a single or for a return. “Open return” will show you only walk up fares.
It was a simple return, not an open return

@BingMan. What fares/ tickets were they exactly? Are you comparing the price of 2 x £2.20 advance tickets, one in each direction, and possibly also with railcard discount, with that of an undiscounted Off Peak Day Return, which I believe is £8.60, rather than £8.80.
Problem solved when booking for the same journey tomorrow.
The app had decided, for reasons best known to itself, that two people were travelling.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Problem solved when booking for the same journey tomorrow.
The app had decided, for reasons best known to itself, that two people were travelling.
Thanks for clarifying. So, comparing the total cost of 2 x £2.20 railcard discounted advances with the total cost of 4 x £2.20 advances? ;)

BingMan

Thanks for clarifying. So, comparing the total cost of 2 x £2.20 railcard discounted advances with the total cost of 4 x £2.20 advances? ;)
Yes. But since I always travel alone I didn't think to check the number of passengers.
The app must feel sorry for my loneliness and is encouraging me to find a friend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.