• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

fare evaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan

Just a question for folk

Today travelling from Rotherham to Sheffield a passenger got on with me and left with me. Sitting in the same carriage I noticed that as the guard came down he attempted (and succeed) to hide from him by keeping his head down.

A huge part of me wanted to notify the guard (I don't pay all that money every month to subsidise others!) but the fear of trouble stopped me
question is this: would you have told the guard about the passenger or just let it go like me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Indeed, I had someone discreetly point out to me today a girl who was dodging a fare. So approached her, asked for a ticket politely and was told to Fudge Off! She was duly off the next stop for verbal abuse :D

alan

okay to be fair I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt but it seems odd that an innocent person would clearly attempt to not catch the attention of the guard -I didn't purchase a ticket on board but showed the valid ticket I had as you are expected to. Does the conditions of carriage make any reference to showing the guard your ticket when prompted?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Sixth sense - especially if you have done revenue duties.

Quick word with the guard /conducter out of sight is the answer.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . would you have told the guard about the passenger or just let it go like me?
It depends.

I see situations that might be similar to this quite often. If its a Guard I'm familiar with, then a nod and glance in the right direction may be enough; if I suspect that the Guard might not be in the mood or doesn't have the time for a confontation, then I'd let it pass; if we're approaching a station I'd definitely not bother; but otherwise, its reasonable to expect that a Guard might appreciate the tip.
I find most 'candidates' for this treatment board at a mid point station and are expected to respond to a cheery 'all tickets from xxxxx, please'. When you've noticed someone board at xxxxx and then ignore the invitation, unless they looked like staff, that's when I'd feel inclined to react.

Established Member
Usually ways to tip the guard off that are subtle.

Making eye contact then pointing with your eyes at the fare dodger is my favourite..... loads of my regular customers would do it to grass up the scroungers.

JamesHorrell

I would Tip of the Guard but usally on the trains i get on the guards do just chase the people from my school down the train and get them all to pay as none pay apart from a couple of us who have special Northern Rail School Cards which Northern did for my School but i've seen a few guards get abuse from students and i think its stupid as the trip from Crossflatts To Keighley is only 55p Half Fare and must people from my school have Half Fares as they use the buses to get home sometimes.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I would Tip of the Guard but usally on the trains i get on the guards do just chase
. . . . .
buses to get home sometimes.
Is there any chance that you could insert some punctuation after each sentence, please?
That might give some of us the opportunity of knowing what it is that you are trying to say about passengers informing Guards of other passengers who do not posess a ticket.

Thanks.

I'll assume that you meant to type/spell words other that those which you have typed, but I still cannot fathom what you're attempting to add to this discussion. Sorry.

Grantham

Sitting in the same carriage I noticed that as the guard came down he attempted (and succeed) to hide from him by keeping his head down.

To be honest, it sounds like the guard wasn't in the mood for confrontation, he might have noticed well enough.

Mick

Flamingo

Established Member
The guard may not have noticed, it's hard to keep track, especially if someone has got into a seat that was occupied before the station.

They may have had a ticket, but been trying to avoid having it stamped so it could be reused.

Either way, a quiet word to the guard "on the way to the toilet" or some-such would be good. The guard isn't going to go up and say "The bloke in seat 37 said you are trying to faredodge!"

- Cal -

Passengers always eye roll to me which passengers they are sat near who also got on the same stop as them, i won't typically ask them straight away for a tix but they will be asked in due course.

trentside

Established Member
I spotted a similar situation the other day. Had the person not been sat opposite me, I was going to have a word with the guard but as the next stop was the final destination, with barriers I decided not to bother. Sadly, I found the barriers unattended and don't know what happened next - presume she'd have walked through quickly with her friend.

district

I'm not proud of this, but I lectured someone who was from my school (lower year) about fare evasion then brought the train manager over. :s

trentside

Established Member
I'm not proud of this, but I lectured someone who was from my school (lower year) about fare evasion then brought the train manager over. :s

What's not to be proud of? Hopefully you taught him a lesson he needed teaching.

district

Guess I could be accused of being a snitch whatever, but th/en again I want to be a RPI/Guard so revenue is in my heart...

trentside

Established Member
Guess I could be accused of being a snitch whatever, but th/en again I want to be a RPI/Guard so revenue is in my heart...

I know what you mean, I remember what school was like if you were seen as a 'grass'. In this case, you did the right thing - I think this thread proves many people would have done the same thing.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sadly, fare evasion on the Sheffield-Doncaster-Goole/Scunthorpe route is extremely high. The stations are so close together that it is almost impossible for the guards to check all tickets, especially if the trains are busy. Additionally, the fares are very cheap, with very little difference between off-peak and anytime, so there isn't much incentive to buy before boarding.

Flamingo

Established Member
Sadly, fare evasion on the Sheffield-Doncaster-Goole/Scunthorpe route is extremely high. The stations are so close together that it is almost impossible for the guards to check all tickets, especially if the trains are busy. Additionally, the fares are very cheap, with very little difference between off-peak and anytime, so there isn't much incentive to buy before boarding.

A case for penalty fares, methinks!

scotsman

Established Member

and? I got slagged off for going to phone the BTP about 4 trespassers I saw in Ferryhill yard last week. Looked like proper copper faeries as well...

In the end, I just told the Guard since I spotted him in the next coach

YorkshireBear

Established Member
More a case for one of Old Timer's old "route lockdowns", with no mercy.

BT Policeman at each station.

Only got to do it once or twice in a few months/weeks and the message gets through very quickly indeed.

Often in an evening chapeltown station has BTP and northern revenue people on it catching anyone without at ticket.

And people think sheffield doesnt need barriers, ive just said on the sheffield barriers thread that all the major station in south yorks should be done.

Old Timer

Established Member
Often in an evening chapeltown station has BTP and northern revenue people on it catching anyone without at ticket.

And people think sheffield doesnt need barriers, ive just said on the sheffield barriers thread that all the major station in south yorks should be done.
All stations should have barriers. The only people who will object are fare evaders.

sonic2009

Established Member
and in reference to old timer. yes all station's should have barriers, but TOC's seem to be cutting hours on barriers, take Birmingham New Street for example sometimes this is not manned on Weekends, and also the lifts are sometimes not manned where every fare evader chooses the lift and subway route to get out.

Lampshade

Established Member
All stations should have barriers. The only people who will object are fare evaders.

Does the same apply to people who object to random 'stop and search'? That's a big problem with society these days - if you object to further oppression and state controlling them you're automatically guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.