• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare evasion: Error use of freedom pass

island

Veteran Member
Thanks for coming back and updating us.
- I did call HMCTS to ask about the impact on DBS checks, they were unhelpful in this matter. I guess I can do a check on myself to figure it out.
Yes, you can request a basic check on yourself online, it costs around twenty quid. Our understanding is that a breach of TfL byelaw 17 should not appear as it's a non-recordable offence.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for letting us know the outcome, it does help us to be able to advise people in future.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thank you for all the advice and guidance provided. It was very helpful given that this is such a stressful experience.

I wanted to uppdate those that helped on my case:
- As suggested by others, TfL did NOT agree to an out of court settlement. So I went ahead with the SJPN
- I called HMCTS to request an extension on the deadline given that I was emailing TfL for a settlement. There is no formal extension policy, HOWEVER, HMCTS did add a note on my account to state that I was in communication with TfL and would respond to the SJPN a few days late. HMCTS assured me that this would not affect the resolution in any way.
- Once I did submitted my plea, I received a response a few days later with the penalty amount. I am assuming that because I am unemployed, the penalty was limited to few hundred pounds.
- I did call HMCTS to ask about the impact on DBS checks, they were unhelpful in this matter. I guess I can do a check on myself to figure it out.

In all, this was a very harrowing process. My advice to others is to take action as soon as possibe and to not ignore the initial letter. I reached out to TfL on [email protected] for initial correspondence. An officer responded so emailed him directly thereafter. TfL was helpful in that they responded on the same day given that I was on a tight timeline. I called them to have the case expedited.

Hope this is helpful to others. And, again, thank you to all that helped with their insights.
Thanks - I do think this post will be of help to others as it is informative, esp ref your dialogue with HMCTS. Freedom pass cases seem quite common so I would think people will value your information.

I hope the penalty you have received is not over onerous in what will be a tricky time. Good luck for the future.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Thanks for coming back and updating us.

Yes, you can request a basic check on yourself online, it costs around twenty quid. Our understanding is that a breach of TfL byelaw 17 should not appear as it's a non-recordable offence.

Given the speed of the legal processing which can be best described as "glacial", I'd give it a month before paying for a check.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Given the speed of the legal processing which can be best described as "glacial", I'd give it a month before paying for a check.
Given the state of global warming I would suggest that glacial is rather optimistic!