• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Evasion - Sydenham - 13/12/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejays

If it was one member of staff then you'd have a point but as numerous posts have indicated, I interacted with a number of staff members at different points and was fobbed off at each point. I also said that it's endemic at a number of stations I have seen and reported this.

Please could you tell me where I am singling out one member of staff?
Your main object of derision seemed to be the first member of barrier staff. But the point still stands. The frontline staff that you are referring to are all operating to rules and procedures as laid out by their employers.

The decision on how to deal with situations like this has been made miles above their pay grade.

Are you suggesting that these people should break the rules so to speak, and go against the procedures as set down by their employers?

No one is disputing the fact that this kind of evading is endemic. But your fury would be a lot better directed at those who make the decisions on where to deploy the resources

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holding a train until btp arrive could quickly mount up thousands upon thousands in costs

Btp don't have the resources to police these matters effectively, how much extra would you be willing to pay for your fare to pay for the extra btp officers to be able to deal with this effectively and all their other duties as well

These people have to be lucky everyday, one day they will likely get caught

MagisterLudi

Holding a train until btp arrive could quickly mount up thousands upon thousands in costs

Btp don't have the resources to police these matters effectively, how much extra would you be willing to pay for your fare to pay for the extra btp officers to be able to deal with this effectively and all their other duties as well

These people have to be lucky everyday, one day they will likely get caught
I'm not sure about the fare increase I'd be willing to accept, but I and other passengers would be a lot less aggravated if we didn't have the amount fare evasion costs the industry rammed down our throats every time fares are increased and penalty fares are incorrectly issued, only to witness blatant opportunities to be prevent it being ignored.

Bluejays

In a perfect world maybe that's true but it's far from perfect.

Platform staff aren't payed to enforce fare dodging, they are payed to man the station, open the barriers when someone's ticket don't work, let people with pushchairs thru the gate. Give customers information.when someone says please sir let me thru, say no.

Let's say that fare dodger does the same thing every other day, they have reported it dozens of times. Yet there he is again! The btp are sick of arriving at Victoria to find hes long gone (again) although it's not actually their job either.
You know they have other stuff to worry about like drug dealers using trains transporting drugs, people carrying weapons, drunks being abusive towards the staff and public.
Endless reports of suspicious looking packages left here there and everywhere.

Don't worry about any of that though ay, some blokes conned the train company out of 30 quid this week and needs to be stopped.
Agree. Also the fact that as long as the incidents have been reported to revenue protection. They may only need to catch him once to get him for the previous aswell.

Just because it was not handled the way you wanted, doesn't mean its ignored

Staff are expressly told not to put themselves at risk, someone willing to barge through a barrier is someone who I would class as a risk to approach, do you think the station staff should be putting themselves at risk in situations like this?

MagisterLudi

Your main object of derision seemed to be the first member of barrier staff. But the point still stands. The frontline staff that you are referring to are all operating to rules and procedures as laid out by their employers.

The decision on how to deal with situations like this has been made miles above their pay grade.

Are you suggesting that these people should break the rules so to speak, and go against the procedures as set down by their employers?

No one is disputing the fact that this kind of evading is endemic. But your fury would be a lot better directed at those who make the decisions on where to deploy the resources
You're right. In fact me having the temerity to even bother reporting witnessing such an act has probably overburdened numerous members of staff and distracted them from their official duties. I'll refrain in future.

I think this thread genuinely makes me realise that we should all just turn a blind eye and then the railway and its staff can cherry pick revenue generating opportunities without being held accountable. Thanks for the debate.

JV_hunter

I'm sure some penalty fares are unfairly issued by a minority of staff, and it is deeply unfortunate if people are wrongfully prosecuted.

But surely it is important to recognise too that the majority of staff do show common sense for genuine mistakes and all these situations will never reach the forum.

Bluejays

You're right. In fact me having the temerity to even bother reporting witnessing such an act has probably overburdened numerous members of staff and distracted them from their official duties. I'll refrain in future.

I think this thread genuinely makes me realise that we should all just turn a blind eye and then the railway and its staff can cherry pick revenue generating opportunities without being held accountable. Thanks for the debate.
What? I'm glad you reported it. I'd hope the railway staff reported it properly afterwards.

Do you actually not realise that strategic decisions like revenue policy aren't made by frontline staff? I'm perplexed at your lack of understanding. The policies that you appear to have an issue with are made at a way more senior level.

I can't understand why you have such an issue getting your head around this

greyman42

Established Member
Many years ago I was confronted by a yobo with a knife in the workplace. Defending myself I hit him round the head with a fire extinguisher!
I got a dismissal for violent misconduct and a criminal record.
You should have got a medal.
Shame on the courts, the people concerned should hang their heads in shame.

MagisterLudi

What? I'm glad you reported it. I'd hope the railway staff reported it properly afterwards.

Do you actually not realise that strategic decisions like revenue policy aren't made by frontline staff? I'm perplexed at your lack of understanding. The policies that you appear to have an issue with are made at a way more senior level.

I can't understand why you have such an issue getting your head around this
I'm quite aware of these points but that doesn't stop my frustration at witnessing blatant criminal acts going unpunished when there were opportunities to prevent and the response was a shrug of the shoulders.

I'm perplexed at your persistence with this particular suggestion I cannot understand the processes when I have made it quite clear where my focus lies and I can't understand why you're unable to comprehend this point given the number of times I have made it.

Bluejays

You should have got a medal.
Shame on the courts, the people concerned should hang their heads in shame.
Amen!

The story was shocking, but sadly unsurprising.

I'm quite aware of these points but that doesn't stop my frustration at witnessing blatant criminal acts going unpunished when there were opportunities to prevent and the response was a shrug of the shoulders.

I'm perplexed at your persistence with this particular suggestion I cannot understand the processes when I have made it quite clear where my focus lies and I can't understand why you're unable to comprehend this point given the number of times I have made it.
Because your point doesn't make sense. The only people you speak about in your post who had the 'power' to intervene in the way you want were the btp. But, and it's a massive but, they don't tend to turn up for simple revenue matters(sadly). The other members of staff that you mention didn't have the power to do anything, without going against their employers guidelines.

What those members of staff should have done was make a proper report to revenue protection in line with whatever procedure their employer mandates for doing that. We don't know if they did that or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.