• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillyman

I have been caught with my mother's freedom pass at victoria underground going to and from russell square. now I have been served a letter of notice which i must respond in 10 days and I need some advice on what I can do to be able to avoid a criminal charge. I only used my mum's freedom pass in the underground, I used my own pass on the train.

I know this is a very silly mistake to do which I am terribly embarrassed and ashamed of. Now I am frightened to death of a potential criminal charge.

At the moment I am in a difficult financial position because I am a student and I do not have a full-time job. Additionally, I am also going through a lot of family issues ever since I found out my mother has cancer. I understand that this is no excuse and I am truly sorry doing it. I am a law-abiding citizen, I have never committed any offences and I am fearful of the potential consequences for my future employment, even wish to pursue a career in law later on because it is what I study at university. At the moment I am applying for the military; Royal Marines, having a criminal record will devastate me as it will ruin my chances in joining the military as it is what I really want to do.

Please, can someone give me some advice and if they been in a similar situation what to do.
I am so scared of a criminal conviction that I have been feeling very depressed, my appetite is never there and unable to sleep because it is at the back of my mind 24/7.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I am a law-abiding citizen, I have never committed any offences
That statement might have been true before, but it isn't true now.

Odds aren't good since TfL are pretty strict on Freedom Pass misuse. You might be able to negotiate a settlement but it's likely to be expensive.

LowLevel

Established Member
You are not a law abiding citizen and you have committed offences. Accepting that is your first step to moving on. The military as far as I know (my brother was a private soldier who got himself into grief on a regular basis) are fairly forgiving with comparatively minor offences.

Be honest, comply with the due process and accept your punishment - if you want to succeed in something like the military that will stand you in better stead.

cuccir

Established Member
Transport for London are likely to write to you asking your side of the story. Admit the mistake in a clear way, apologise and don't try and mitigate too much - lots of people are students or out of work, for example, and don't avoid the fare. You might mention the stress of your mother's illness as a context for making your mistake, but don't overplay it - the key is to apologise and say that you won't do this again.

Then, offer the fare due and to pay costs for investigating.

If they chose to prosecute, it may not result in a criminal record, depending on the legislation they chose to use. And even then, many if not most employers will overlook relatively minor convictions obtained when young - my understanding is that law can be a bit stricter than most, but I don't work in that area so can't comment with any authority. Certainly as noted it's not a bar to entering the armed forces.

I would also imagine that TfL would be interested in, to take the song title from a former famous Swedish pop group, finding out 'Does your mother know'. I.E was she complicit in allowing you to undertake this law breaking activity by allowing you to use her pass.

najaB

Veteran Member
I would also imagine that TfL would be interested in, to take the song title from a former famous Swedish pop group...
Hey! They just released two new singles. And yes, to the OP, this is a line of enquiry that I expect them to pursue - this could lead to withdrawal of the pass.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Why did you not use your own pass on the Underground? Assume your pass isn't a freedom pass?

If you deliberately used your mother's pass to gain some advantage (i.e. paying less than the fare due or nothing), then that is not a "silly mistake" but sheer dishonesty and with intent to defraud

I hope for your sake that London Underground won't be too harsh on you and that you will learn from this experience and acquire some integrity if you want the Royal Marines to consider you

Status
Not open for further replies.