• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fareham - Clapham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethW

Got to make this journey every other week for a few months.

Midweek afternoon up, return late same evening.

Have Network card so the "standard" fare would be a Super Off Peak Day Return at £20.40.

I'd want to do both ways on SWT for convenience.

Have a feeling I've read something that there may be a Southern-priced fare which might be a bit cheaper and valid poss Fareham-Redhill.

Is this so, and if so any ideas how likely am I going to be get hassle from SWT guards or at Clapham. (Probably wouldn't consider it worth it just to save a quid or so).

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wibble

Got to make this journey every other week for a few months.

Midweek afternoon up, return late same evening.

Have Network card so the "standard" fare would be a Super Off Peak Day Return at £20.40.

I'd want to do both ways on SWT for convenience.

Have a feeling I've read something that there may be a Southern-priced fare which might be a bit cheaper and valid poss Fareham-Redhill.

Is this so, and if so any ideas how likely am I going to be get hassle from SWT guards or at Clapham. (Probably wouldn't consider it worth it just to save a quid or so).

Many thanks.

The Southern priced Super Off Peak Return is £13.00 (due to the Railcard's minimum fare) and is only valid on Southern services so you'll have no problems with SWT guards. The gate line at Clapham Junction will accept the ticket.

BestWestern

Established Member
I think the OP was suggesting using the cheaper Southern only ticket for his journey on SWT? I'd suggest hassle is likely in that case, some/most Guards are bound to notice. Is there a Megatrain flow for that journey?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
If you board an SWT service with a Southern Only ticket you will need to purchase a new ticket on board. When working trains from Portsmouth if I find such tickets prior to arrival in Havant/Fareham I advise people to leave the train and get the Southern service to their destination-after Havant/Fareham I'm afraid they have to get another ticket as 'Southern Only' tickets cannot be excessed to 'Any Permitted'.

GarethW

Hi thanks for the replies - I don't want to try and use a Southern only ticket on SWT, that would be asking for trouble. I could get to Clapham on Southern but coming back is too late for a Southern service.

No, I just thought, and I'm probably mistaken, that I'd read in passing on here that there were some Fareham to <a Southern Station> tickets that were cheaper than the SWT-priced Clapham ticket, which were valid via Clapham, and not the "route Barnham" ones.

John @ home

Established Member
I could get to Clapham on Southern but coming back is too late for a Southern service.
One possibility is to buy a £28.20 OFF-PEAK DAY RETURN FAREHAM - CROYDON STATIONS Route VIA BARNHAM and to excess the return leg only to a £32.70 OFF-PEAK DAY RETURN FAREHAM - CROYDON STATIONS Route NOT VIA LONDON. This costs half the difference, £2.25, making a total cost of £30.45. Using a different station instead of Croydon may make this a little cheaper. It would be available Fareham - Barnham - Croydon - Clapham Jn - Winchester - Fareham. Both the initial ticket and the excess fare could be bought in the same transaction.
I just thought, and I'm probably mistaken, that I'd read in passing on here that there were some Fareham to <a Southern Station> tickets that were cheaper than the SWT-priced Clapham ticket, which were valid via Clapham
This may well be true. I'm afraid I don't know of such an anomaly.

island

Veteran Member
No, I just thought, and I'm probably mistaken, that I'd read in passing on here that there were some Fareham to <a Southern Station> tickets that were cheaper than the SWT-priced Clapham ticket, which were valid via Clapham, and not the "route Barnham" ones.

Tickets from Fareham to a Southern destination are not valid via Clapham ([stn]CPY[/stn]), which would be several hundred miles off route. Did you mean Clapham Junction?

soil

Established Member
You can buy Southern-priced tickets from pretty much anywhere on the south coast that undercut SWT-priced tickets but are still valid on SWT services.

An example of this would be Fareham - Tonbridge routed via Edenbridge/Polegate

This ticket must be used on a permitted route between Fareham and Tonbridge via either Edenbridge or Polegate.

Fareham is a member of the Portsmouth Routeing Point Group, and the pair Portsmouth - Tonbridge is routed LONDON.

Therefore permitted routes include permitted routes from Fareham - London and then London to Tonbridge (the ticket is not valid on the underground so any transfer in London must be at your own expense/on foot).

Fareham - Clapham Junction is obviously on a permitted route between Fareham and London, while London to Tonbridge is mapped (among others) as LB+SD+LK, which is the route Victoria/Waterloo/London Bridge - East Croydon - Redhill - Edenbridge - Tonbridge.

So the route Fareham - Woking - Clapham Junction - Waterloo - Clapham Junction (double back permitted via easement 58) - East Croydon - Redhill - Edenbridge - Tonbridge is valid on this ticket, priced at £9.90 with railcard. You may stop short at Clapham Junction on this ticket as there is no break of journey restriction.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
priced at £9.90 with railcard

Yes, £9.90 in most other circumstances, but £13 with a Network Railcard in midweek due to the minimum fare.

I can't guarantee that a Route Edenbridge/Polegate ticket would cause no problem on SWT, so that is a risk the OP takes.

soil

Established Member
Yes, £9.90 in most other circumstances, but £13 with a Network Railcard in midweek due to the minimum fare.

Network Gold card (ticket to Ryde) required I think. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.