• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fareham to London - Weekday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethW

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Please excuse me if I kick off with a bit of a puerile one, and also if the figures i give are slightly wrong as I'm doing it from memory. :D

About every other month a couple of us need to go from Fareham to Notting Hill Gate tube to arrive by 12 latest. I've got a Network card. Normally the Network Card fare with a 1-6 Capital card is £21.30.

Timings wise the ideal train for us would be the 0926 direct semi-fast but of course I cant use my card on it. I worked out that getting a offpeak day return to Havant and a Havant 1-6 Cap Card on my Network Card to get the 1002 exHavant would be my best solution. However a friend "in the business" recommended the offpeak return to Havant and an Emsworth 1-6 Cap Card on my Network Card which is cheaper then the Havant one, works out at about £23.50 iirc. Not really too bad but I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to bring the cost down further without getting into the realms of silly Megatrain timings?

2. I presume having a quick look at the routing guide that the combination of tickets isn't valid for a return via Basingstoke and Eastleigh, I think i did it once when I forgot it wasn't a weekend (and I didnt have a Fareham Cap Card!). Id prefer to return this way if possible.

3. Is there a cheap(ish) split option to use the 0926 direct, usually a lot lighter loaded until Farnborough. Possibly a cheap day to Micheldever and then a Network carded CapCard from Micheldever or some such??

4. Is the combination of tickets actually valid as I'd have to have left Emsworth before 1000 to get the 1002 exHavant. I'm pretty much splitting hairs with this I think as I doubt if many SWT guards would pick me up on that even if it were so, and SWT are pretty relaxed about splitting journeys anyhow.

Thanks in advance, I know its quite a petty one compared to some of the juicy ones on here, but its something thats been bugging me for a while.:p

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Please excuse me if I kick off with a bit of a puerile one, and also if the figures i give are slightly wrong as I'm doing it from memory. :D
Welcome :)
About every other month a couple of us need to go from Fareham to Notting Hill Gate tube to arrive by 12 latest. I've got a Network card. Normally the Network Card fare with a 1-6 Capital card is £21.30.
This is now a Travelcard, the change made in the year that the owner of Retro Railtours was born! ;)
Timings wise the ideal train for us would be the 0926 direct semi-fast but of course I cant use my card on it. I worked out that getting a offpeak day return to Havant and a Havant 1-6 Cap Card on my Network Card to get the 1002 exHavant would be my best solution. However a friend "in the business" recommended the offpeak return to Havant and an Emsworth 1-6 Cap Card on my Network Card which is cheaper then the Havant one, works out at about £23.50 iirc. Not really too bad but I have a few questions.
Yes the Network Railcard can no longer be used until 10am on weekdays. However anyone with a Gold Card (annual season ticket) does not have this restriction.
1. Is there any way to bring the cost down further without getting into the realms of silly Megatrain timings?
Probably not. Megatrain tickets only allow travel on a specific train, but this isn't an option from Fareham.

Someone more local to the area may have some ideas though.
2. I presume having a quick look at the routing guide that the combination of tickets isn't valid for a return via Basingstoke and Eastleigh, I think i did it once when I forgot it wasn't a weekend (and I didnt have a Fareham Cap Card!). Id prefer to return this way if possible.
If you combine tickets, the train must at the very least pass through the station where you change from one ticket to another. If one is a season and the other is not, merely passing through is fine, but if both are seasons or if neither is a season then the train must actually call. So you can't go via a completely different route avoiding the station you "split" at.
3. Is there a cheap(ish) split option to use the 0926 direct, usually a lot lighter loaded until Farnborough. Possibly a cheap day to Micheldever and then a Network carded CapCard from Micheldever or some such??
All I can really suggest is looking at the fares to/from the stations where the train calls.
4. Is the combination of tickets actually valid as I'd have to have left Emsworth before 1000 to get the 1002 exHavant. I'm pretty much splitting hairs with this I think as I doubt if many SWT guards would pick me up on that even if it were so, and SWT are pretty relaxed about splitting journeys anyhow.
Sorry you lost me there. What ticket combination and what trains?

Are you saying that you are buying a ticket that is valid from 10:00 and using it shortly before 10:00? If you are asking that, it's not valid (unless there is a specific easement) but I can't comment on whether or not a SWT guard would likely pick up on it.
Thanks in advance, I know its quite a petty one compared to some of the juicy ones on here, but its something thats been bugging me for a while.:p
Feel free to ask any question you like, hopefully someone more familiar with the area will be able to help you further :)

KeithP

OP, have you considered a Southern Trains only Super Off Peak Return from Fareham to Victoria at £14.00?
The earliest you could leave Fareham is 08:57 on that ticket and be in Victoria at 11:16. (Change at Havant).
Five stops on Circle Line to Notting Hill Gate.

A longer route, but the price is right.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Are you sure about this? It seems that the £21.30 ticket is the Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard which is not valid for arriving at London until 1200 on weekdays, or at any time at the weekend when minimum fare does not apply.

GarethW

Many thanks for the prompt replies.

Normally I travel at weekends so the £21.30 price is correct, it would be the price I pay if I got the 1026 on a weekeday, but that gets me to my destination too late unfortunatly.

The Southern option is interesting for the way up, I'd have to add a Zone 1 Travelcard as well, whch I presume would be about £6, but the trip back in the evening would be a bit of a long-winded effort, worth thinking about for next time though, I might give it a go. :) The trips usually quite comfortable if you nab a table in the Electrostar.

Thanks for the confirmation re the routing Yorkie, my last point was that although I won't actually be using a post 1000 ticket before 1000, as I'll first use it at 1002 from Havant, I couldn't have used it from origin to get the service Im picking up at Havant. In effect I'm starting short on it, for some reason its about £5 cheaper than a Havant CapCard, presumably because its a Southern rather than a SWT station??
I wouldn't expect any problems (and have never had a problem) as you can break journeys on both outward and inward journeys on most SWT tickets.

Again many thanks to you all.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Southern option is interesting for the way up, I'd have to add a Zone 1 Travelcard as well, whch I presume would be about £6,
Not sure if there has ever been such a thing as a Zone 1 Travelcard, but the Zone 1 & 2 Travelcard is being abolished along with the abolishment of the Zone 1 & 2 cap.

An inclusive All Zones Travelcard from Fareham (routed Southern only) is £17.45.
Thanks for the confirmation re the routing Yorkie, my last point was that although I won't actually be using a post 1000 ticket before 1000, as I'll first use it at 1002 from Havant, I couldn't have used it from origin to get the service Im picking up at Havant. In effect I'm starting short on it, for some reason its about £5 cheaper than a Havant CapCard,
I see now.

Havant - All Zones Travelcard

Off Peak (Rte SN Only) £17.45
Off Peak (Rte Any Permitted) £24.40
Super Off Peak (Rte Any Permitted) £19.45

Emsworth - All Zones Travelcard

Off Peak (Rte SN Only) £17.45
Off Peak (Rte Any Permitted) £18.80

presumably because its a Southern rather than a SWT station??
No, the operator of the station doesn't determine ticket price. The TOC that sets the fare determines ticket price. SN set the SN only price. SWT set the any permitted price, from both Havant & Emsworth to London.

The Travelcard is valid based on arrival time into London, and using a single ticket before 10am and then using the Travelcard after 10am is perfectly valid, however I can't check right now if a ticket from Emsworth is valid via Havant.

I wouldn't expect any problems (and have never had a problem) as you can break journeys on both outward and inward journeys on most SWT tickets.

Again many thanks to you all.
Yes, there is no problem starting short on this ticket.

FGWman

Welcome :)

Yes the Network Railcard can no longer be used until 10am on weekdays. However anyone with a Gold Card (annual season ticket) does not have this restriction.

Sorry yorkie this is incorrect. Both the Network Card and Gold Card have always only been available after 10am weekdays. I think you are getting confused with the minimum fare which only applies to the network card on weekdays. With the Gold card there is no minimum fare.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not sure if there has ever been such a thing as a Zone 1 Travelcard, but the Zone 1 & 2 Travelcard is being abolished along with the abolishment of the Zone 1 & 2 cap.
There is no such thing as a zone 1 travelcard, but the zone 1 and 2 travelcard is not being abolished. The Z1-3 and Z1-5 peak versions are along with the Z2-6 and Z2-9 peak and off-peak. You will be left with Z1-2, Z1-4, Z1-6 and Z1-9.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry yorkie this is incorrect. Both the Network Card and Gold Card have always only been available after 10am weekdays. I think you are getting confused with the minimum fare which only applies to the network card on weekdays. With the Gold card there is no minimum fare.
Yes, you're right. I had the minimum fare & time restriction mixed up.

ATOC have made a confusing system even more confusing with all the different, complex, railcard restrictions.

GarethW

I'm very impressed - thank you all.

A ticket from Emsworth would normally be valid via Havant as its a routing point for Emsworth.

The £17.45 Capital Card (Southern Only) is of interest for these weekday jaunts, checking the times back the journey's probably no longer than having to go via Havant and wait for a connection, in theory at least :) The only downside is you can't come back before 1915 from Victoria, not normally a problem.

At weekends the £21.30 ticket plus a possible weekend first upgrade suits us fine.

KeithP

Gareth, for future trips you might also like to think about Advance Singles between Fareham and Victoria.
When booked on the Southern website, they can be had at £3.75 each way.

Ok, times may not be suitable, but if you can be a bit flexible on that then a return to London for £7.50 cannot be ignored.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The £17.45 Capital Card (Southern Only) is of interest for these weekday jaunts...

When was a 'Capital Card' last advertised or available then?
Hasn't it been a 'Day Travelcard' for about 20 years now - you might confuse our younger readers...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When was a 'Capital Card' last advertised or available then?
Hasn't it been a 'Day Travelcard' for about 20 years now - you might confuse our younger readers...

http://www.srpublicity.co.uk/nse/history.htm

"...Ticketing products like Gold Card and ‘new‘ Travelcard (that had changed from Capitalcard to Travelcard as far back as 1989)..."

Good website, that.

NSE should never have been broken up / abolished. <(

GarethW

http://www.srpublicity.co.uk/nse/history.htm

"...Ticketing products like Gold Card and ‘new‘ Travelcard (that had changed from Capitalcard to Travelcard as far back as 1989)..."

Good website, that.

NSE should never have been broken up / abolished. <(

At least the Network Card is still almost called that.:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And I very fondly remember the (not well advertised) first class upgrades for a quid which were available with the Network Card even during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.