• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fastest freight train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDM

On another note, on HS1 is freight not timed for 90mph?[/QUOTE]

Anyone know? Surely there are no wagons allowed above 75mph - or perhaps there are? What are they?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I may have been wrong but I seem to have a very vague recollection that one of the requirements for freight on HS1 was that it traveled faster than normal freights.

coppercapped

Established Member
I may have been wrong but I seem to have a very vague recollection that one of the requirements for freight on HS1 was that it traveled faster than normal freights.

Eurotunnel's Network Statement includes the following:

Wagons
All freight wagons used in the Channel Tunnel shall comply with the specifications of the UIC, Rules of the GCU, and of the RID/RTMD. Also, in accordance with the regulations concerning movements in the United Kingdom, the wagons shall comply specially with the specifications of UIC Leaflet 503, which covers the specific characteristics of the wagons needing to run on the smaller gauge of the classic UK network. More generally, freight wagons shall comply with the Technical Specifications of Interoperability.

The wagons shall be designed to respect the following general criteria:
- maximum permitted speed of 120 km/h at a maximum axle loading of 20 tonnes, which may increase to 22.5 tonnes in future, depending on the permitted maximum axle loadings in Europe;
- maximum permitted speed of 140 km/h for certain wagons also used with a maximum axle loading of 20 tonnes.

Detailed specifications concerning the wagons are given in Appendix 2.

Wagons approved for transit through the Channel Tunnel bear the Tunnel logo with the letters C.T. (Channel Tunnel).
The maximum length of trains in the Channel Tunnel is limited to the maximum permitted length on adjacent networks, i.e. on the infrastructures of RFF, HS1 and Network Rail. It is generally 750 metres. The maximum permitted axle loading is 22.5 tonnes.

For better use of the Channel Tunnel’s capacity, a running speed of 120 km/h to 140 km/h is recommended for wagons (see Section 5 below).

...and so on!

coppercapped

Established Member
Have you found anything similar for HS1?

Yes! You can find <hs1-network-statement-2017-final.pdf> on HS1's web site. The specs aren't quite as 'copy-and-paste' friendly, but here goes!

3.3.2.2 Weight Limits

Maximum Static Load
Section 1* 17t/axle
Section 2** 17t/axle

Loco hauled freight train*** 22.5t/axle

* Section 1 is the part of HS1 between Fawkham Junction/Southfleet Junction and Cheriton (Channel Tunnel boundary).
** Section 2 is the part of HS1 between St Pancras International Station and Southfleet Junction.
*** Includes loco assisting a passenger train.

3.3.2.3 Line Gradients
The maximum gradient is 2.50% (1 in 40). Due to this maximum gradient, trains composed of vehicles fitted with standard UIC 850KN couplings will be limited to a maximum trailing load of 1,100 tonnes. Details of gradients along the route may be requested from the Infrastructure Manager. Please contact the Infrastructure Manager for further information at the address set out in section 1.8.1.

3.3.2.4 Line Speeds
The Infrastructure Manager is obliged to operate and maintain HS1 in such a way that the TOCs are able to achieve the following line speeds on HS1:

Section International Passenger Trains Domestic Passenger Trains Freight Trains***

Section 1* 300 km/h 225 km/h 140 km/h
Section 2** 230 km/h 225 km/h 140 km/h

* Section 1 is the part of HS1 between Fawkham Junction/Southfleet Junction and Cheriton (Channel Tunnel boundary).
** Section 2 is the part of HS1 between St Pancras International Station and Southfleet Junction.
*** Includes loco assisting a passenger train.
END QUOTE

The table in section 3.3.2.4 is to be understood as being of 4 columns and 3 rows. There is more information available in the Sectional Appendix, which I don't have!

I suspect that all this means that 20tonne axleloads may reach 140kph and 22.5tonne axleloads are limited to 120kph in the same way as for the Channel Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.