• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fat Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think they should have a seat, and just like the things to check you're hand luggage isnt too big, if you can't fit in, you have to pay more.

Ferret

Established Member
One of O'Leary's best ideas - who wants to be stoated out on a flight by some fat git that's too idle to exercise and has fed himself junk food all his life? Not that it will happen, but I'd say all airlines should adopt this...

Ferret
- in a somewhat harsh mood tonight clearly!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I thought it would be because to carry their excess fat it would burn up more fuel. I dont blame them mind, nothing worse then getting stuck next to someone that is too fat to their seat and they take half of yours too.:|

I have to admit that's one reason I like the old seats on HSTs with fixed armrests - there's no fear of a horizontally challenged person encroaching on my seat space if there's an armrest in the way!

me123

Established Member
There's nothing worse than having a fat person spilling over onto your seat, I'll agree with that. But in my experience, the seats are perfectly large enough for fat people. When we get to the levels required for this overspill, I reckon that most people fat enough to be in this criterion aren't that way simply because they eat a lot of food. Rather, there's likely to be a physiological or psychological disorder that encourages weight gain. Therefore, I think this "fat tax" is unjust; you're not targeting people who're choosing an obesogenic lifestyle, you're targeting more people who need serious help to combat their weight gain.

For someone with mental problems to be publicly told that they need to pay more because of their weight could easily make the problem worse.

I do know someone who is considered "extremely obese". The condition is not entirely his fault; a physiological and genetic condition was identified. He is working hard to alleviate the situation as much as he can, but under this policy he will be the one who is charged the excess. Due to circumstances outwith his control. How is that fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.