• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite aircraft to fly on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has a favourite or even a least favourite. (Hope this is the right part of the forum) I like the Airbus A340, far and away my favourite.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Favourite aircraft.
Any I have had a free flight on.
You may sense a pattern emerging.

Concorde.
Nimrod
KC135 Tanker
VC 10
Hercules
Huey
Wessex
Seaking

Ha ha, you win, All up there on the list of planes and aircraft I'd like to fly on and almost definitely never will.

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
Ha ha, you win, All up there on the list of planes and aircraft I'd like to fly on and almost definitely never will.

You won't. VC10's are no more. C130K's have also retired, but C130Js will go for many years yet.

fowler9

Established Member
You won't. VC10's are no more. C130K's have also retired, but C130Js will go for many years yet.

Indeed mate, given a bizarre set of circumstances I could still manage an L1011. An MD 11 is still just about do able along with an A300. The A340 is going to get harder and harder to get a ride on very sadly in my opinion.

starrymarkb

Established Member
You have until September next year to get a passenger MD11 - KLM have announced the retirement of their fleet. Monarchs A300s are also being retired this year, but suspect there will be a proper enthusiast day trip when they do go. (Monarch usually do 2 or 3 enthusiast trips per year to somewhere, a behind the scenes tour and return, usually costing about £150pp)

Monty

Established Member

The C130Js (in RAF service anyway) will be gone before this decade is out unfortunately, set to be replaced by the A400M.

fowler9

Established Member
You have until September next year to get a passenger MD11 - KLM have announced the retirement of their fleet. Monarchs A300s are also being retired this year, but suspect there will be a proper enthusiast day trip when they do go. (Monarch usually do 2 or 3 enthusiast trips per year to somewhere, a behind the scenes tour and return, usually costing about £150pp)[/QUOTE

Cheers for the info mate. I may try and fork out the cash if there is an enthusiast trip. I think Monarchs last scheduled A300 flights are this Sunday or may even have been last Sunday. I believe charter flights are running in to next year. I saw the dates for KLM's last MD-11 flights to Canada but can't remember the dates, I sadly had no chance of making them anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The C130Js (in RAF service anyway) will be gone before this decade is out unfortunately, set to be replaced by the A400M.

It would be amazing to get on one before they go. The ex girlfriends dad was i the forces and has been on several along with C-5, C-17, C-141's and even an AN 124.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Favourite aircraft.
Any I have had a free flight on.
You may sense a pattern emerging.

Concorde.
Nimrod
KC135 Tanker
VC 10
Hercules
Huey
Wessex
Seaking

Excellent choices. :)

Being in the RAF cadets I know quite a lot of the planes, however I have only ever flown 3 times in my life, twice in a Grob Tutor and most recently, in a BAE 146 (which is used by the Royal Family).

My favourite aircraft in general are:

Concorde
Typhoon
Harrier
Hercules
Vulcan
VC 10
Chinook
Puma (my maths teacher used to fly these!)

fowler9

Established Member
Excellent choices. :)

Being in the RAF cadets I know quite a lot of the planes, however I have only ever flown 3 times in my life, twice in a Grob Tutor and most recently, in a BAE 146 (which is used by the Royal Family).

My favourite aircraft in general are:

Concorde
Typhoon
Harrier
Hercules
Vulcan
VC 10
Chinook
Puma (my maths teacher used to fly these!)

I'd sell several organs to fly on a Vulcan. Ha ha. After that it would be the SU 27 and then closely followed by the TU 160. The F14 of a carrier next and the B1B not far behind (Not off a carrier, ha ha). More realistically would be a TU 154 next.

Rich McLean

Established Member

I live at Brize Norton and work there. The A400M order is getting further and further behind. They won't get rid until they are satisfied the A400M fleet can cope. When the J's go, they will more than likely be sold to other nations military forces to use.

VC10's I will always remember, often shaking the block when taking off (and waking me up)

Based at Brize now we have:
C130J
A330-MRTT
Tri-Stars
C-17s

Status
Not open for further replies.