• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feltham area resignalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Can anyone shed any light on the resignalling that's currently taking place, given that the Feltham area isn't due for resignalling until CP6. It's more than replacing the signal heads with LEDs. The whole posts are being replaced and in some cases in a different location.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigfoot

Cp6 starts next year. It has been undergoing prep works since 2016.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If in the Feltham station area itself, is it possibly associated with the platform alterations? Two birds with one stone sort of thing...

GW43125

Established Member
If in the Feltham station area itself, is it possibly associated with the platform alterations? Two birds with one stone sort of thing...

The new signals are installed and bagged up all down the Shepperton branch, so no.

louis97

Established Member
The new signals are installed and bagged up all down the Shepperton branch, so no.
First phase of the Feltham resignalling is currently due for commissioning in January next year. This will be on the Shepperton branch and control will remain at Feltham ASC.

Sebastian O

I believe a lot of work was started in ?2014, which then stopped perhaps 18 months later.

New signal posts were put up on the Shepperton branch (a lot of work done during the Fulwell blockade for the drainage system, unsure what year that was, perhaps 2015). Last time I travelled the signal heads were not in place but haven’t been up it for ten days or so, however the crossover at Kempton was taken out a few years ago along with renewal of the ground signals (still bagged).

Lots of new signal cable trays were being dug from Twickenham round to Kingston but it doesn’t even seem like there’s much of a timeframe of it at present; seems like a ‘three men and a spade on alternate Mondays’ type operation.

Apart from the branch line, there’s pretty much nothing else to report.

Goldfish62

Established Member
First phase of the Feltham resignalling is currently due for commissioning in January next year. This will be on the Shepperton branch and control will remain at Feltham ASC.
Thanks for the update.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I believe a lot of work was started in ?2014, which then stopped perhaps 18 months later.

New signal posts were put up on the Shepperton branch (a lot of work done during the Fulwell blockade for the drainage system, unsure what year that was, perhaps 2015). Last time I travelled the signal heads were not in place but haven’t been up it for ten days or so, however the crossover at Kempton was taken out a few years ago along with renewal of the ground signals (still bagged).

Lots of new signal cable trays were being dug from Twickenham round to Kingston but it doesn’t even seem like there’s much of a timeframe of it at present; seems like a ‘three men and a spade on alternate Mondays’ type operation.

Apart from the branch line, there’s pretty much nothing else to report.
There's been a rash of activity recently with a lot of new signal posts appearing in the Richmond and Twickenham area, hence my noticing the work.

SWT_USER

Currently some major roadworks happening on the bridge on Feltham high street, due to end in February 2019. Once these are completed the crossing will close and work on the platform extensions will begin.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Currently some major roadworks happening on the bridge on Feltham high street, due to end in February 2019. Once these are completed the crossing will close and work on the platform extensions will begin.
It's the bridge strengthening works for the new bus stops and the extra traffic once the Bedfont Lane crossing is closed. There'll also be a new entrance to the up platform from both sides of the bridge.

SWT_USER

It's the bridge strengthening works for the new bus stops and the extra traffic once the Bedfont Lane crossing is closed. There'll also be a new entrance to the up platform from both sides of the bridge.

Thanks, didn't know about the extra entrance. Will that be through the original station building?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Thanks, didn't know about the extra entrance. Will that be through the original station building?
If you mean the 1930s entrance as apposed to the 1850s building- then neither.
It will use a redundant arch under the road bridge to access the UP platform.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, I’m aware of all that, I was really only asking in the context of Goldfish62’s point about some signals being resited...

Goldfish62

Established Member
If you mean the 1930s entrance as apposed to the 1850s building- then neither.
It will use a redundant arch under the road bridge to access the UP platform.
Yes, with direct links to both sides of the road.

Sebastian O

Strange the access to the up can be reinstated (assume with barriers) but not to the down, where the station building still exists, with a bricked up entrance to what I assume there are still steps down to the down behind the bricks?

MarkyT

Established Member
Strange the access to the up can be reinstated (assume with barriers) but not to the down, where the station building still exists, with a bricked up entrance to what I assume there are still steps down to the down behind the bricks?
I guess opening the old downside entrance to the bridge would need yet another barrier line and staff member.

XDM

I guess opening the old downside entrance to the bridge would need yet another barrier line and staff member.

A barrier line yes, but not an extra staff member.
On Southern & some other TOCs a second barrier line is monitored by CCTV by the staff member at the first barrier.
He/she can open a gate & issue instructions remotely. But Marky is right, a new barrier is probably the reason that old Feltham entrance has not been reopened.

MarkyT

Established Member
...a new barrier is probably the reason that old Feltham entrance has not been reopened.
It doesn't look worth the trouble. There's a public steel staircase from the bridge down to the side of the 1930s building which gives access to the main south side entrance.
feltham2.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anything go on within the 1930s building? It’s fully bricked up on the road side but there are still windows elsewhere, and what looks like an emergency exit at the lower level?

Does anything go on within the 1930s building? It’s fully bricked up on the road side but there are still windows elsewhere, and what looks like an emergency exit at the lower level?

Looking through the platform-facing windows, there doesn't seem to be much happening on that side. To me, it looked like it was being used to store electrical equipment, but there may be more to it.

Dstock7080

Established Member

Bookd

If as it appears the level crossing is to be closed before the bridge reopens this will be a huge problem for road traffic from Bedfont Lane, Lidl, and the St. Giles hotel to Feltham High Street and the west. Buses have a diversionary route avoiding the crossing, but this involves a buses only right turn; if this stays in place then long diversions via Bedfont or via the Feltham trading estate would probably be needed.

Goldfish62

Established Member
If as it appears the level crossing is to be closed before the bridge reopens this will be a huge problem for road traffic from Bedfont Lane, Lidl, and the St. Giles hotel to Feltham High Street and the west. Buses have a diversionary route avoiding the crossing, but this involves a buses only right turn; if this stays in place then long diversions via Bedfont or via the Feltham trading estate would probably be needed.
Yes. TfL did not want this to happen because although the traffic management is currently working well, the traffic impact of effectively cutting off Feltham High Street from the north will have a significant knock-on impact on bus service reliability.

Aictos

Established Member
A barrier line yes, but not an extra staff member.
On Southern & some other TOCs a second barrier line is monitored by CCTV by the staff member at the first barrier.
He/she can open a gate & issue instructions remotely. But Marky is right, a new barrier is probably the reason that old Feltham entrance has not been reopened.

Such as Huntingdon which has such a example of remote gateline operation in daily use which has the gateline on Platform 3 either manned by staff or remotely manned via staff in the Booking Hall.

Another example of remote barrier control although not actually a gateline as such but put in to ensure only ticket holders use them are the lifts at Stevenage and at Welwyn Garden City where you show your ticket to the camera which then shows the staff that you have a valid ticket and they active the lift for you.

MarkyT

Established Member
Another example of remote barrier control although not actually a gateline as such but put in to ensure only ticket holders use them are the lifts at Stevenage and at Welwyn Garden City where you show your ticket to the camera which then shows the staff that you have a valid ticket and they active the lift for you.
They used to have that at Reading on the old footbridge after the barrier line was implemented. The bridge was divided in two with a paid and unpaid route across to the car park. The lifts, on the opposite side to the stairs, had a camera system.

Bookd

I have today had a leaflet delivered advising that Hounslow Road is unlikely to reopen before the summer. The level crossing will however close permanently on 15th March at 9 p.m. Vehicle diversion routes will be adapted (although I have no idea how).
This coming weekend (16/17 February) the crossing will be closed to enable installation of a temporary footbridge and demolition of the existing footbridge. No trains will travel through Feltham this weekend or the weekend of 16/17 March. As England are home to Scotland on Saturday 16th March that should cause suitable chaos!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I have today had a leaflet delivered advising that Hounslow Road is unlikely to reopen before the summer. The level crossing will however close permanently on 15th March at 9 p.m. Vehicle diversion routes will be adapted (although I have no idea how).
This coming weekend (16/17 February) the crossing will be closed to enable installation of a temporary footbridge and demolition of the existing footbridge. No trains will travel through Feltham this weekend or the weekend of 16/17 March. As England are home to Scotland on Saturday 16th March that should cause suitable chaos!
No engineering works on 16 March.

Status
Not open for further replies.