• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Festive Engineering Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Doesn’t look like it from the press release.

How ‘slow’ are they these days? It’s years since I worked in Scotland.

MadMac

Doesn’t look like it from the press release.

How ‘slow’ are they these days? It’s years since I worked in Scotland.
I interpret it as a “like for like” renewal. I believe it’s 70 on and off the Branch there.

Any “remodel” would, in all likelihood, trigger a full signalling renewal: Greenhill Upper is still, I believe, a 50+ year old Geographical interlocking with little, if any, expertise still around to carry out major alterations (Shameless plug: I know how and am happy to quote at my very competitive rates).

Falcon1200

Established Member
I interpret it as a “like for like” renewal. I believe it’s 70 on and off the Branch there.

Indeed, Greenhill Upper Junction was remodelled a few years ago to increase speeds (although this also had the unwanted effect, for the operators, of removing the route for a train from Falkirk High to reverse and head towards Greenhill Lower and beyond).

Railsigns

Established Member
The connection from the Down Greenhill Branch onto the Down E&G line is being renewed (eliminating the switch diamond), but there will be no speed increase through the junction. The signalling interlocking is being replaced by a Westlock.

MadMac

The connection from the Down Greenhill Branch onto the Down E&G line is being renewed (eliminating the switch diamond), but there will be no speed increase through the junction. The signalling interlocking is being replaced by a Westlock.
End of an era :'( Presumably they’re doing the Lower at the same time?

Railsigns

Established Member
End of an era :'( Presumably they’re doing the Lower at the same time?
The Greenhill geographical interlocking will be abolished. The Lower Junction will be brought into the existing Larbert Westlock, and the Upper Junction goes into a new Greenhill Westlock. The two junctions are, and will remain, controlled from different workstations at Edinburgh Signalling Centre.

scotLAN

Could anyone provide more information as to what is being upgraded signalling wise at Craigendoran?

Railsigns

Established Member
Could anyone provide more information as to what is being upgraded signalling wise at Craigendoran?
It's a signalling life extension project involving targeted renewals of signals etc., some alterations to AWS and TPWS, and the provision of red/green lights at two user-worked level crossings.

scotLAN

It's a signalling life extension project involving targeted renewals of signals etc., some alterations to AWS and TPWS, and the provision of red/green lights at two user-worked level crossings.
Thank you - I seem to recall the junction itself was remodelled in the early 80’s (1984?), I wonder if the signalling infrastructure around it predates that?

Railsigns

Established Member
Thank you - I seem to recall the junction itself was remodelled in the early 80’s (1984?), I wonder if the signalling infrastructure around it predates that?
No, the present signalling dates from the remodelling in 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.