• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ffestiniog Round Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krokodil

Established Member
Back on topic, as long as the 09:21 Crewe - Chester and 09:50 to Llandudno Junction are on time I should be fine
The 0921 CRE-CTR would be fine, something would have to go really wrong to miss the 09:50, particularly as you're just going P1-P3B

You're pushing your luck at Llandudno Junction though, that's not an advertised connection so beyond the odd minute a hold wouldn't be authorised. You are likely to have to leg it over the bridge from P4 too. On the plus side, as it's not LHCS for the moment Canton seem to be getting the unit off shed on time more often. I'd say that your chances are 50/50.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

I wouldn't expect the guard to be expecting connecting passengers, since the connection would not be advertised to any passengers when buying tickets - I think it highly unlikely the Blaenau train would wait for any delay
That's good to know in advance, if not massively reassuring.

The 0921 CRE-CTR would be fine, something would have to go really wrong to miss the 09:50, particularly as you're just going P1-P3B

You're pushing your luck at Llandudno Junction though, that's not an advertised connection so beyond the odd minute a hold wouldn't be authorised. You are likely to have to leg it over the bridge from P4 too. On the plus side, as it's not LHCS for the moment Canton seem to be getting the unit off shed on time more often. I'd say that your chances are 50/50.
Thank you.

mangyiscute

Established Member
So that's 5/21 times that the connection would've been missed (assuming you can make it if the train arrives at 10:31, which could be tough) - personally, those aren't odds I'd go for when the next service isn't for another 3 hours.
If I were you, I'd either go to Porthmadog first for the 14:10 from there to Blaenau, or I'd take the train that gets you to Llandudno Junction for 09:50.

Llandudno

Established Member
So that's 5/21 times that the connection would've been missed (assuming you can make it if the train arrives at 10:31, which could be tough) - personally, those aren't odds I'd go for when the next service isn't for another 3 hours.
If I were you, I'd either go to Porthmadog first for the 14:10 from there to Blaenau, or I'd take the train that gets you to Llandudno Junction for 09:50.
Or give the very tight connection a try and if you miss it jump the train to Llandudno and treat yourself to a fabulous breakfast at the Loaf cafe opposite Wetherspoons!

There is also a great greasy spoon cafe next to Llandudno station if you prefer something more ‘rustic!’

Djgr

Established Member
I made my journey on Monday, everything ran very smoothly, got into Porthmadog at 12:50 so had plenty of time to grab lunch and make the 14:10, also got to see the 13:40 to Beddgelert leave. My train was quite empty, only 7 people in the carriage I was in, and I then alighted a stop before Blaenau at Tanygrisiau to do a walk up to Llyn Cwmorthin which had some great waterfalls on the way, then walked into Blaenau to get the 17:35 back - I made a tight connection onto the delayed 18:33 at Llandudno Junction, and then got the train to Crewe from Chester, with another tight connection onto the ex Liverpool train to Stafford, where I changed onto a delayed cross country to get back to Reading 30 minutes early!
Would highly recommend, all the staff were very friendly and its very scenic.
Worrying why the train was "quite empty". Perhaps people are "experience"d out?

mangyiscute

Established Member
There was around 8 carriages, and there were plenty of people in the front one - I think they have just gone for the strategy of putting on plenty of coaches to ensure there's plenty of capacity (something that the DfT could be inspired by)

alex17595

On Thursday the Mountain spirit was fairly well loaded, although I was put in the intermediate stations carriage with 2 others. All the Woodland wanderers we passed after TanYBwlch looked really busy.

mangyiscute

Established Member
That train was just my one experience on a single journey, and I could only see the front two coaches - it was probably just an anomoly

Veteran Member
If I were you, I'd either go to Porthmadog first for the 14:10 from there to Blaenau
...which also means doing the trip uphill so the loco has to do some work!
There was around 8 carriages, and there were plenty of people in the front one - I think they have just gone for the strategy of putting on plenty of coaches to ensure there's plenty of capacity
Purely practically, attaching and detaching coaches to reflect variable demand means additional staff time and fuel which has to be balanced against increased wear and tear on the coaches.

Krokodil

Established Member
Purely practically, attaching and detaching coaches to reflect variable demand means additional staff time and fuel which has to be balanced against increased wear and tear on the coaches.
Fuel is perhaps the most important consideration, you burn more with a longer train.

Status
Not open for further replies.