• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Pullman

Status
Not open for further replies.

EltonRoad

I'm travelling standard class on the 1903 Paddington to Exeter on a Friday night soon and am going to try and get a seat in the restaurant. According to the web site it's open to all but can be restricted to First Class if busy. Am I likely to get a seat? Do they lay tables throughout First Class or just in the buffet car? I've heard it's got a good reputation, is the food good? Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I doubt it is all the of the first class coaches, as there is first class passengers as well. The travelling chef is good as well :)

455driver

Veteran Member
If you turn up early the staff will probably ask you to wait for the FC paxs to get seated THEN they will offer you a seat if there is capacity/ food stock available, the FC paxs will order first.

At_traction

"And then came the bad news – the bill… £34.25 which I added £4.75 tip to as I was very pleased to the service." :shock:

But at least the main course was something substantial and not merely a series of cubes and slices with an artistic ring of sauce around the plate... ;) I got peckish!

Pity about the timetables from London, that requires practically overnight-ing in Penzance whichever way you go. But Pullman travel would be something that a 'spotter should do at least once (before bankruptcy) - "while you still can", to quote Michael Palin from the 1980 BBC GRJotW series programme "Confessions of a Trainspotter"...

Thanks for the tip. No, not the £4.75 one.

devon_metro

Established Member
Mr Cairns has reviewed most of the railway catering available on the system, so worth a read if that tickles your tastebuds!

At_traction

Mr Cairns has reviewed most of the railway catering available on the system, so worth a read if that tickles your tastebuds!

Website maintenance at the moment, but will have to have a look there then.
Tickles my bank account at least! :oops:

Unless you are 1st class, you are unlikely to get a meal, both the 1803 and 1903 ex Padd are very popular for full cooked meals with 1st class passengers.
My opinion is taken from the queue when I walk past 9 minutes before departure.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I would expect the restaurant service to be particularly popular on a Friday evening. It may be necessary to make a trip to the buffet!

At_traction

Unless you are 1st class, you are unlikely to get a meal, both the 1803 and 1903 ex Padd are very popular for full cooked meals with 1st class passengers.

That would be all taken care of. <:D The (c)rush among the 1st Classers to get a seat and the subsequent damage to my wallet would be more pressing problems...

MCR247

Established Member
Nothing, they are just a normal First Great Western HST mark 3s! :)

At_traction

Nothing, they are just a normal First Great Western HST mark 3s! :)

Yes. And this is what they used to look like 50 yrs. ago - as 1960 introduced dedicated DMUs. (Although moniker "DMU" seems far too "spartan" to describe the services within these units... ;)) The Midland Pullman was a solely 1st Class posh St. Pancras - Manchester service. Three other services were more egalitarian with 1st and 2nd Classes.

EltonRoad

Well, I managed to join the queue for the restaurant car early by taking the Hammersmith and City Line to Paddington and accessing the platform from the west end.

There were tables laid part way into coach G. There were a few who had reserved a seat in the restaurant, and a few others with standard class tickets also wanting dinner.

They seated the First Class passengers first then found the rest of us a seat. The food was absolutely lovely but a bit pricey - over £30 for two courses, coffee, a beer and mineral water. The staff were having a nightmare clambering over people sprawled throughout the gangway.

I'd recommend the FGW Pullman but caution on price. I heard a story from a fellow passenger that the two evening services that still have a restaurant car were almost abolished but were retained following a lot of pressure from SW businessmen who all wrote in and complained.

bnm

Established Member
A far easier way to experience FGW Pullman dining is to use the two 'up' services from Plymouth at 1200 and 1255 Mon-Fri. These are essentially positioning moves for the Pullman staff and they were also due for the chop when the Pullman service was rationalised. Someone at FGW realised that as the Pullman staff were based in Plymouth it made sense to have them continue to work the 'up' services as Pullmans rather than have the staff on the cushions.

These 'up' services have bargain 1st class Advance fares, often right up to the booking deadline.

I do miss the South Wales Pullmans. Regularly tucked in to the full English on the 0801 from Bristol Parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.