• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW refurbished 158s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

Hey, just had the local news on (Westcountry News), & they showed the new look 158s being refurbished by Wabtec Rail in Doncaster. Not bad looking actually, inside & out, although I still prefer the First Scotrail refurbished 158s.

Mart

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Scotrail's new 158s are looking spendid, I have to say. Have you got pics or a vid of the new FGW ones?

devon_metro

Established Member
Hey, just had the local news on (Westcountry News), & they showed the new look 158s being refurbished by Wabtec Rail in Doncaster. Not bad looking actually, inside & out, although I still prefer the First Scotrail refurbished 158s.

Mart

At least our 158s keep half decent seats!

Turbostar

At least our 158s keep half decent seats!

Apparently, they're using similar style seating as used in the refurbished HST sets, & yes they are painted in the local lines livery. Although, I don't like the idea if a black outline around the light clusters, make them look like they're wearing mascara! lol :grin:

Mart

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I notice how in the Railway Herald the window is open, does this mean the AirCon is *still* broken?

Dennis

Established Member
No - the aircon was not broken; they are either trying to break it by heating up the whole world or letting out the 'new train' smell which you get after a thorough refurb. Can't have satisfied FGW passengers (can we?).

Apparently, they're using similar style seating as used in the refurbished HST sets, & yes they are painted in the local lines livery. Although, I don't like the idea if a black outline around the light clusters, make them look like they're wearing mascara! lol :grin:

Mart

Seats are exactly the same as the old design, minus the seat back tables.

westcoaster

Established Member
like the new local lines livery with the lines actually being local towns/cities and places of interest.

devon_metro

Established Member

Mart

And for what reason are the HST seats 'decent'

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The loss of airline tables is a bit poor considering these are used on pretty long journies!

djw1981

Established Member
Do the FGW 158's have a trolley? If so then I agree, the loss of somewhere to put your snack lunch or coffee is not only silly but will result in more spillages and complaints.

The 158 Man

Glad to hear it! I thought I might have been on my own with that comment! :razz:

djw1981

Established Member
See that beats all the other First liveries... how about that for the wessex / locals services and a red stripe for intercity....

The recent (November) Rail express article on liveries is interesting....

The 158 Man

Another thing that makes 750 interesting is that (at one end - the end in the photo above) it still retains the ORIGINAL fly screen cover and door colour scheme. :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I saw a refurbished 158 yesterday at around 1620 at Temple Meads heading for Taunton. These had completely different seats, a type I don't think I've seen before.

Are FGW going to have two different types of seats?

EDIT: Maybe the unit I saw has refurbd HST seats?

Turbostar

They are ex class 156 seats.

Actually, it's ex-FSR 158's seats. The original seating is retained in the ex-TPX sets, but has been re-stuffed. In the former Wessex sets, seats to be used will be re-conditioned Richmond seats from First Scotrail 158's which are currently being refurbished at Springburn.

Mart

T

Tom

Not seen a FGW refurb 158, but is it anything on par with the SWT seating?

Turbostar

I havn't seen one as yet either. Am off out tomorrow (wed), off to Salisbury & Westbury, so going on 159's, & prob HST's, maybe a refurb'd 158 if I'm lucky. :)

Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.