• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[FI/EE/LV/LT/PL] Helsinki - Warszawa via the Baltic States

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The Black Friday Interrail Sale persuaded me to commit to another late winter or early spring trip in 2024.

Since I reside in northern Sweden, this time I'm thinking of crossing Umeå - Vaasa by ferry and then beginning a trip in Finland. I have never visited any of the three Baltic states and have a colleague in one, so want to piece together an itinerary Helsinki - Tallinn - Riga - Vilnius - Mockava - Warszawa.

Seat61 is, of course, invaluable, and has information about the renewed Mockava - Waszawa - Kraków train that started in 2022 and which gets a proper dining car with the December 2023 timetable change.

My guess is that I need to admit defeat getting from Latvia to Lithuania, and just take the bus for that part. But is there any reliable or interesting way of using the train for some of that journey?

Based on your experiences and interests, what would be your recommendations for trains, buses and places to stop and stay while passing through the Baltic states?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mad_rich

I was there in August, and took buses from Tallinn to Riga and on to Vilnius, then train to Kaunas and Warsaw. If you do end up taking buses, have a look at 'Lux Lounge'. They have 2+1 seating, decent seatback TVs, and terrible coffee.

I believe there is due to be a new direct train between Riga and Vilnius that takes a different route than the (non running) connection mentioned on Seat61. It's supposed to be competitive in time with bus travel, and start on 27 December, allegedly.

I hope the renewed Mockava-Krakow train is improved beyond the addition of a dining car. It was a real old rattler when I took it. I was glad I was only going as far as Białystock, then took a much better Intercity.

As for recommendations:

The Estonian Open Air museum in Tallinn - really fascinating history of Estonian society told through reconstructed homes from throughout the centuries. It was a surprising highlight of my trip. Worth half a day.

The Museum of the Occupation in Riga is eye-opening.

Download the Bolt app if you don't already have it. In Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania it's great for scooter rental, taxis and hourly car hire.

I took a Bolt car for the day and explored the Viru Bog (more beautiful than it sounds!) and a gorgeous little seaside retreat of Võsu.

There's also some funky hipster style neighbourhoods that I'd recommend if that's your thing. Good for a beer and some food, and away from the Old Towns. Telliskivi in Tallinn (just behind the station & bus station), Tallinas Kvartāls (in Riga, not Tallinn!), and the 'Republic of Uzupis' in Vilnius.

I used this blog as inspiration for my trip, and wasn't disappointed. https://www.theworldwasherefirst.com/perfect-baltics-itinerary/

Last edited:

rvdborgt

If you take a Lux express bus, there's a pass holder discount:
No active travel day needed.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The Black Friday Interrail Sale persuaded me to commit to another late winter or early spring trip in 2024.

Since I reside in northern Sweden, this time I'm thinking of crossing Umeå - Vaasa by ferry and then beginning a trip in Finland. I have never visited any of the three Baltic states and have a colleague in one, so want to piece together an itinerary Helsinki - Tallinn - Riga - Vilnius - Mockava - Warszawa.

Seat61 is, of course, invaluable, and has information about the renewed Mockava - Waszawa - Kraków train that started in 2022 and which gets a proper dining car with the December 2023 timetable change.

My guess is that I need to admit defeat getting from Latvia to Lithuania, and just take the bus for that part. But is there any reliable or interesting way of using the train for some of that journey?

Based on your experiences and interests, what would be your recommendations for trains, buses and places to stop and stay while passing through the Baltic states?

You're unfortunately many years too late for the previously long-running (ie for generations, until the Baltic States joined the EU in the 1990s) direct service Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius-Warsaw! It was a slow but interesting ride when I did it...

PS: Depending on which set of country indicators you're referencing (there being may different versions of course), the "ES" in the thread title might be taken to be referring to Spain (especially by geographically-challenged pedants).

stadler

It is still easy to get from Vilnius to Riga or vice versa almost entirely by train with just a short walk and a short bus ride.

1. Take a train from Vilnius to Turmantas (6 trains a day in each direction).

2. Walk across the border from Turmantas to Zemgale (a short ten to fifteen minute walk).

3. Take a bus from Zemgale to Daugavpils (3 buses a day in each direction).

4. Take a train from Daugavpils to Riga (5 trains a day in each direction).

The current timetables for all the trains and buses are shown here:

Screenshot_20231130_032510_Sheets.jpg

This is closest you can get to travelling by train all the way and is a more interesting experience than taking a coach between the two countries.

rf_ioliver

Vaasa to Helsinki is easy (8 direct trains, 2 more with a change in Seinajoki, the 6h44 is both direct or you could change in Tampere for a faster train south). There are two ferry ports (Viking and Tallink) both easily accessible by tram from the mail railway station (download the HSL app - there is a Swedish language option).

Tallinn: the Lennusadam Sea Plane museum was *excellent* https://meremuuseum.ee/lennusadam/ - we spent quite a few hours there. The Vabamu Museum of Occupations and Freedom is supposed to be very good too but it was closed last time I was there. A quicker visit can be made to Hotelli Viru and the KGB museum - you need to book this, but worth a visit.

Last edited:

jamesontheroad

Established Member
There should be a new train service Riga-Vilnius starting on 27 december. Watch Seat61's page

December 2023. Tickets should go on sale after 10 December, according to LTG Link on Facebook.

I believe there is due to be a new direct train between Riga and Vilnius that takes a different route than the (non running) connection mentioned on Seat61. It's supposed to be competitive in time with bus travel, and start on 27 December, allegedly.

The route is Vilnius-Kaišiadorys-Šiauliai-Joniškis-Jelgava-Riga, so not via Daugavpils. LTG Link press release is here: https://ltglink.lt/en/important-not...-tvarkarastis-isigalios-jau-nuo-gruodzio-10-d - "the first train from Vilnius to Riga is expected to run as early as 27 December this year" - which is great news.

I hope the renewed Mockava-Krakow train is improved beyond the addition of a dining car. It was a real old rattler when I took it. I was glad I was only going as far as Białystock, then took a much better Intercity.

I have a fondness for "real old rattlers" so you may not have dissuaded me. :E I am wondering whether to overnight in Białystock, Warszawa or Kraków. Can probably only afford one of them

If you take a Lux express bus, there's a pass holder discount

Thanks - also Eckerö Line ferries Helsinki-Tallinn.

PS: Depending on which set of country indicators you're referencing (there being may different versions of course), the "ES" in the thread title might be taken to be referring to Spain (especially by geographically-challenged pedants).

Thanks! I should know it is EE not ES... now fixed.

It is still easy to get from Vilnius to Riga or vice versa almost entirely by train with just a short walk and a short bus ride.

Thanks for the tip and the timetable too

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks - also Eckerö Line ferries Helsinki-Tallinn.

Quick question for anyone who might know. Where do you enter the discount code? Eckerö Line's website doesn't have anywhere on the checkout page (in English) for a discount code. Only "voucher code" which seems to be something else and doesn't work with RAIL23.

rvdborgt

Quick question for anyone who might know. Where do you enter the discount code? Eckerö Line's website doesn't have anywhere on the checkout page (in English) for a discount code. Only "voucher code" which seems to be something else and doesn't work with RAIL23.
In the screen "Customise your journey", which appears after you've clicked on the ">" button on their homepage, there's a field "Enter code" at the top left. Entering RAIL23 there results in a discount.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
In the screen "Customise your journey", which appears after you've clicked on the ">" button on their homepage, there's a field "Enter code" at the top left. Entering RAIL23 there results in a discount.
Thanks! That works, although not on all departures, which is a shame.

Flying Snail

Established Member
There is also a discount on Tallink/Silja who have more sailings Tallin - Helsinki. Code INTERRAIL

rvdborgt

Thanks! That works, although not on all departures, which is a shame.
Eurail state: "Eurail and Interrail Pass holders can benefit from 20% discount on passenger fares on board of Eckero Line ferries.":

The Eckerö website doesn't seem to have any information about this, so I'd just ask them how you can get a discount on the the departures where the code doesn't seem to work. They have email.

JonasB

Now the schedule for the Vilnius-Riga train has been published.

Northbound:
Vilnius 6:30
Kaišiadorys 7:14
Šialiai (Schaulen) 8:51
Joniškis 9:30
Jelgava (Mitau) 10:06
Riga 10:43

Southbound:
Riga 15:28
Jelgava (Mitau) 16:08
Šiauliai (Schaulen) 17:21
Vilnius 19:51

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Northbound:
Oof that's a nice early start from Vilnius! Do we have any information what sort of train is likely to operate the service?

jamesontheroad

Established Member

Northbound:

Southbound:

Thanks for sharing! Was just sitting down to a Friday evening indulging myself with this trip plan.

The itinerary shared in post #1 above still stands, but skipping Warszawa and heading directly to Krakow. From Krakow to Wien (EN if budget allows, otherwise daytime) then Rome, Napoli and ultimately on the train ferry to Sicily.

North-to-south in about 12 days, with 3 countries new to me (EE, LV, LT) plus more time in several cities I've wanted to visit for a while.

Oof that's a nice early start from Vilnius! Do we have any information what sort of train is likely to operate the service?

Presumaly one of the Polish-built Pesa 730M?

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member

Northbound:

Southbound:

Excellent times southbound, as in early September, it should be light all the way to Vilnius if the train is punctual.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Stock used is most likely the new Skoda sets.
Good news: it seems even possible NOrthbound to change fast in Riga and then the slow-wait in Walga to promote cross border traffic-onto Tallinn.
Good news too for the happy few in 1st: free cf/T (if trip <59 mins) or that+water+cookie for longer. (total cost around 1€ in the LIDL in Vilnius-but that does not open that early).
Good news for Mark Smith-in that seat 61 and last week spotted in the brand new NJ from Hamburg to Wien to again remake his pages.
And for the, as for now not quite clear, bad news; it seems (this comes from a dutch source in a dutch OVinnederland forum-about any self-respecting railforum will have the news on this new link): as the big bulk of expected pax will likely be the adventurous IR/EU-rail pass user: there will be some form of surcharge and/or obligatory REServation, most certainly in the main summer season-to prevent those german-style ICE overcrowdings.
As for direct buses: between the 3 capitals here are also at least 3 different BUS(coach)companies, 2 of which continuing on to Warszawa or even onward.
As several Tln-Hel ferries were mentioned:I also recall from my last trip that it is indeed wise to prebook online-whereas it remains possible to buy old-style at a window with a working human being in portside, this will cost more and it also cost more in summer and it even cost (thats 3x) more on weekends then.

rvdborgt

Stock used is most likely the new Skoda sets.
Except that they will be using the Pesa sets (730ML).
And for the, as for now not quite clear, bad news; it seems (this comes from a dutch source in a dutch OVinnederland forum-about any self-respecting railforum will have the news on this new link): as the big bulk of expected pax will likely be the adventurous IR/EU-rail pass user: there will be some form of surcharge and/or obligatory REServation, most certainly in the main summer season-to prevent those german-style ICE overcrowdings.
There will indeed be mandatory reservations. No idea if that will be possible online.

dutchflyer

Established Member
And as perhaps another insult to injury: just read in my other passion, BWW=Buses WorldWide, that FLIX has just started or is about to a through coach all the way from WAW via the 3 Baltics and then the ferry into HELsinki. Again the bus leads the way.

railfan99

Established Member
As for direct buses: between the 3 capitals here are also at least 3 different BUS(coach)companies, 2 of which continuing on to Warszawa or even onward.
As several Tln-Hel ferries were mentioned:I also recall from my last trip that it is indeed wise to prebook online-whereas it remains possible to buy old-style at a window with a working human being in portside, this will cost more and it also cost more in summer and it even cost (thats 3x) more on weekends then.

From my distant nation with its opposite seasons, more than a few 'adventurous Eurailpass users' as you rightly call us prefer not to visit Europe (or UK) at the height of summer.

Travelling instead in months like September and early to mid October usually means (unless sporting events or concerts) less crowding on trains plus in many cases lower hotel/BnB accommodation costs, and pleasant weather that isn't too hot.

We long distance travellers don't always overly welcome the prospect of competing during the summer peak with not just large numbers of locals (Europeans and Britishers) but also inflated numbers of Americans, South Koreans, Singaporeans, Brazillians to some extent Middle Eastern visitors and (in past years) mainland Chinese and Japanese. The latter two were hardly seen in October 2023 during my French/brief Swiss and Italian jaunts.

A pet peeve is many European hotels amazingly still lack airconditioning: 15 years ago, I was in of all places, Helsinki: surprisingly stuffy in the hotel room.

The through road caoches would only be of interest for my hopefully forthcoming 2024 trip were there a rail derailment or strike. The locals are welcome to that mode.

doc7austin

Hi,

Well, I took the chance and rode the all-new direct international train from Vilnius to Riga.
That train was only recently inaugurated - on December 27, 2023.
With this train it is now possible to reach Latvia and Estonia by rail.
Before the pandemic a rail connection between Lithuania and Latvia only existed via Russia.

This shows you the routing of the existing rail link Vilnius - Riga - Tallinn.

train-vilnius-riga-01.jpg

The international train no. 889 Vilnius - Riga is operated by Lithuanian LTG Link.
The train is routed via Šiauliai, Meitene, and Jelgava.

train-vilnius-riga-02.jpg

Some photo highlights:

train-vilnius-riga-18.jpg

This is our 730ML-006 diesel multiple unit (built by Pesa in Poland):

train-vilnius-riga-17.jpg

First Class cabin (seating is almost the same between First and Second Class):

train-vilnius-riga-16.jpg

Train mini kitchen:

train-vilnius-riga-14.jpg

BoB Menu:

train-vilnius-riga-13.jpg

Sunrise over a cold Lithuania:

train-vilnius-riga-12.jpg

More photos:

train-vilnius-riga-09.jpg

Šiauliai, Lithuania:

train-vilnius-riga-10.jpg

train-vilnius-riga-10b.jpg

train-vilnius-riga-11.jpg

train-vilnius-riga-08.jpg

Meitene (Gr) - this is the border between Lithuania and Latvia.

train-vilnius-riga-07.jpg

Jelgava - our first station in Latvia.

train-vilnius-riga-06b.jpg

train-vilnius-riga-06.jpg

We are reaching Riga on-time at 10:43.

train-vilnius-riga-05.jpg

train-vilnius-riga-04.jpg

train-vilnius-riga-03.jpg

The First Class fare (EUR 34) includes a free hot drink and a brownie.

train-vilnius-riga-20.jpg

Second Class cabin:

train-vilnius-riga-15.jpg

A more detailed trip report is available on Youtube:

Enjoy !

Last edited:

rvdborgt

Well, I took the chance and rode the all-new direct international train from Vilnius to Riga.
Thanks for the report!
That train was only recently inaugurated - on December 27, 2023.
With this train it is now possible to reach Latvia and Estonia by rail.
Before the pandemic a rail connection between Lithuania and Latvia only existed via Russia.
Pre-pandemic you could travel via Daugavpils, first only using the sleeper from/to St. Petersburg/Moscow (did that in 2014, not sure anymore what its destination was); later the trains Vilnius-Turmantas were extended to Daugavpils in the weekends, but they haven't been reinstated after the pandemic. Also, not long before the pandemic, there was the sleeper Kiev-Minsk-Vilnius-Riga, first every 8 days, then every 4 days, which you could also use between Lithuania and Latvia (did that in 2019, it also ran via Šiauliai).