• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filton Abbeywood 4 tracking and electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

gepree

As I understand it, the proposals for overhead electrification between London Paddington and Swansea will include 4 tracking the route between Bristol Temple Meads and Filton where 2 lines will continue to the Severn Tunnel and 2 will curve round to Bristol Parkway.

Assuming this is indeed the plan, I have some questions:

1. Will Filton Abbeywood station be expanded to have a platform 4? Was enough spare room left for a 4th track and platform when it was expanded from 2 to 3 platforms a few years ago?

2. What would be the likely usage of the 4 lines between Filton and Temple Meads? Fast lines one side and slow ones on the other (like west of Paddington)? Or slow lines on the outside and fast ones in the middle (like at Longbridge)? Or just one pair of lines for all South Wales trains alongside the other pair for Parkway?

3. I think I also read that they may build platforms in Brunel's old shed at Temple Meads. Would this be for trains following a particular route out of Bristol, or just general capacity improvements?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I dont think there is room for another platform at Filton Abbey wood.

I believe the idea is to keep the current two lines as slow lines and the new tracks being put in would be the new fast lines.

As for the new platforms at Bristol TM these would most likely be used for the Bristol TM - London Paddington services which will run via Bristol Parkway and the Bristol - Cardiff electric services (possible extension to Swansea)

The Planner

Veteran Member
From the plans I have seen the answer to question one is yes and the new tracks would be the fasts. Parkway gets its extra platform too so you can simultaneously depart to Wales and Temple Meads.

PhilipW

For those of us not very familiar with the current layout, where will the two new tracks be:
a) both on the west side of the existing formation
b) both on the east side
c) one on either side

Ivo

Established Member
From the plans I have seen the answer to question one is yes and the new tracks would be the fasts. Parkway gets its extra platform too so you can simultaneously depart to Wales and Temple Meads.

I can see the logic in this approach. For example, Severn Beach line trains will not have to cross the existing route to access the slows, while the construction of new platforms at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road would not be necessary. In addition, once the Henbury loop becomes reality in a few years' time - assuming it does become reality - then trains heading that way will also not have to cross the slows. A sensible decision.

I understand that Parkway has a greatly reduced car parking space now due to construction works. Are these works related to the new platform, or are they merely coincidental? And speaking of parking, what about Temple Meads? Will a new multi-storey site be built to compensate for the loss of the shed?

D6975

Established Member
On the east side where they were before they ripped them up originally.

Not quite that simple.
It will involve realignment of the existing tracks aas well as installing new ones. At the moment the existing tracks are on the west side of the trackbed until Lockleaze, where they slew across to the east side before going through Abbey Wood. The new lines will thus be on the east side at the south end and the west side at the north end.
A major problem will be the currently unused girder bridge over Stapleton Road. This was one of the reasons for two tracking in the first place. It is structurally unsound and will need replacing. When the Avon Metro was proposed it was thought that it could be repaired sufficiently for lightweight trams, but normal trains were out of the question.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All this talk of Fast and Slow, this is the Western is it not; surely it should be Main and Relief? ;)

Certainly the indicators on the signals at Temple Meads still refer to UM (for example) if it's heading over to the right hand side set of tracks.

Eagle

Established Member
Certainly the indicators on the signals at Temple Meads still refer to UM (for example) if it's heading over to the right hand side set of tracks.

The lines at the north throat of Temple Meads are designated (east to west) Down Main, Up Main, Down Filton, Up Filton and Up/Down Filton Relief.

At Filton Abbey Wood they are the highly confusing Down Filton, Up Filton and Up Bristol (the Down Bristol reappears at Filton junctions).

Tiny Tim

The girder bridge over Stapleton Road looks to be in a very poor condition and has deteriorated a lot in recent years. Extensive repairs? More like complete replacement. Not cheap.

Waverley125

as has been said above, will require realigning the trackbed to be consistent all the way to Filton Junction.

As for new platforms, I'd expect a new one on the west side, along with a new line, and for the fasts to be routed through the existing platforms.

Also worth noting that in the existing platform pair, there is much more than four foot between the tracks, so some realigning of the platforms may also occur to create space on the western side of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.