• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Advance on ATW - was this a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
On Tuesday we (OH and I) went from Hereford to Paddington on 1st Advance tickets booked some time ago. I chose the 0856 departure simply because that tied in with our bus to the station, and expected the normal Standard Class only journey to Newport, changing to 1st for the FGW continuation to Paddington.

However... to our delight, the once-a-day loco hauled Holyhead to Cardiff turned out to be our 0856 train! (Is this known as the WAG?). As we held 1st tickets, we boarded the 1st Class dining carriage, and were promptly served two superb breakfasts! The ticket inspector checked our tickets, and found them in order, although I think perhaps even he was a little bemused.

Our tickets cost £27.40 each with Senior Railcards, which seemed at the time too good to be true for such luxury. Since our return yesterday I have checked a few varied departure dates to see if we can do it again sometime, but the 0856 departure from Hereford is now not an option, greyed out on all the 1st Advance schedules. Seems that the only way of booking the identical journey again would cost £105.25 (with railcards).

So, did we benefit from a website error on this occasion, or is there a very limited availability of 1st Class tickets HFD-PAD that include the 0856 WAG, and if I keep checking and trying I might get lucky again?

Have to add that that journey will be remembered as one of the best days in my life - all my train dreams came true! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The Hereford stop is new this timetable on the southbound train and I suspect the fares havent caught up with it.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I have booked 1st advances on this train on a number of occasions since the timetable change. In fact, I always book it now if it's available. I'm sure someone forgot about the relatively cheap APs to London via Newport when they added the Hereford stop!

However, as you say, it's becoming hard to find any availability on it now. They may have got wise and put a block on APs onto it.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Is Gerald going to be running as normal through the summer holidays? I was planning to try and get a breakfast run on the train, but then realised they might pinch the stock for Holyhead boat trains like they did in the Christmas holidays. My trip would probably be the 2nd of August.

Unfortunately, by the look of their website I've missed the chance to sample their 'branch line' or 'main line' breakfasts which no longer seem to appear on the menu, didn't they offer hash browns?

trainophile

Established Member
I took photos of our breakfasts on my phone (sorry don't know how to get them onto the netbook).

I had two sausages, good rasher of bacon (unsmoked), beans, mushrooms, fried egg, half a tomato and a piece of buttered toast.

OH (vegetarian) had the same except two veggie sausages instead of the meat, and he had three half tomatoes. Choice of tea or coffee, and orange juice. Set us up for the day :D.

But no, no hash browns. Or black pudding, I'm glad to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.