• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class TPE advance not valid in Avanti 1st due to disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
SP has 2+1 seating with one of the best First Class interiors in the UK. Given that I agree about the food (though they should have really done tea, coffee and water) what is the problem here? It seems reasonable to me. A seat better than the one on TPE was provided.

I think this is just people angry they couldn't freeload on the (fairly rubbishy) food offering.

The SP coaches have 1 on the doors by the way. They are just the equivalent of BR Weekend First - a dedicated coach without the freebies.
Ultimately it's still not comparable transport conditions to be downgraded from First Class with catering. The attitude of the Train Manager left a huge amount to be desired, with the notion that TPE passengers should be grateful they're allowed to travel at all. That is simply no way to behave in a customer facing job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ultimately it's still not comparable transport conditions to be downgraded from First Class with catering. The attitude of the Train Manager left a huge amount to be desired, with the notion that TPE passengers should be grateful they're allowed to travel at all.

OK, so would people be up in arms had it been LNR who offer no catering and a seat that definitely isn't to 1st standards?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Whereas the correct view is that standard premium is provided for standard class ticket holders in possession of a supplement, not for first class ticket holders.

Fine not to provide the full works catering-wise (and my experience of Avanti is that much of the time, catering will be unavailable regardless). Not fine to attempt to remove first class ticket holders from first class accommodation.

Typical incompetence and arrogance from Avanti. I had *wanted* to think, reading the opening post, that the standard premium coach had been made available to *standard* class TPE ticket holders to alleviate overcrowding and the OP merely experienced a miscommunication. Alas.
It used to be the case that during disruption passengers were entitled to avail of the full range of first class service regardless of whether they were being carried as a favour or not. I wonder if that has changed.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Sounds to me that the Avanti TM had a bee in his bonnet and was making up the rules as he went along.

What a dreadful excuse of a person, and even worse that they are customer facing. How on earth do they get these jobs in the first place?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
OK, so would people be up in arms had it been LNR who offer no catering and a seat that definitely isn't to 1st standards?
No. There are two separate issues here which can't be conflated. The first is that re-routing should be on the earliest available train, if the passenger so desires.

Then on that service, travel should be under comparable transport conditions insofar as that is possible. If none of the available transport conditions on that service (e.g. classes of travel) are as good as the original service, it is up to the passenger which option they wish to go for.

This is a rare case where a comparisons with the airlines might assist. If you bought a First Class ticket, but your flight was cancelled, you should be rebooked on the next flight. If that happens to be on an airline where there's only Business Class and Economy, it is your choice whether you take Business Class or ask to be rebooked onto the next flight with First Class.

But if the next flight does have First Class, it wouldn't be acceptable for the airline to say "well we'll just rebook you in Business Class, it's close enough isn't it".

Same principle here. First Class does exist on the Avanti service. So any rerouted passengers are entitled to travel in First, not Standard Premium.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It used to be the case that during disruption passengers were entitled to avail of the full range of first class service regardless of whether they were being carried as a favour or not. I wonder if that has changed.
That has not changed.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
So not just bad service but also against the railway's own protocols. Bad.

Why do I get the impression that this TM thought this journey was being paid for from his personal bonus? It stinks to high heaven and they need roasting.

Rather than it being an opportunity for Avanti to show what they can offer, they've ended-up ensuring that this passenger will likely avoid them in the future.

Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
Genuinely, I'd have accepted that as fair. My issue is more with Avanti unilaterally deciding that someone holding a valid 1st class ticket doesn't have to be conveyed in that class when it is available, despite the NRCoT clearly stating otherwise. There are two classes of travel and Avanti's branding doesn't change that, it is a standard class coach with a different seating layout. I'm not upset at missing out on the three limp sandwiches and microscopic scone, especially after the very nice "Full LNER" on the Highland Chieftain.

I realise how pedantic I sound but companies on and off the railways are quite happy (and well within their rights) to stick rigidly to their terms and conditions when a customer requests some leeway, so I think it's reasonable for me to ask Avanti to do the same.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No because that's the first class product offered by LNR.

I didn't kick up a fuss when I missed a connection onto an LNER service and ended up on TPE because I was still travelling first class even though TPEs product on a 185 is considerably worse than the HST I should have been on. The OP in this case was demonstrably not travelling in first class accommodation. Therefore Avanti should refund the difference in fare as they failed to provide the accommodation paid for.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Genuinely, I'd have accepted that as fair. My issue is more with Avanti unilaterally deciding that someone holding a valid 1st class ticket doesn't have to be conveyed in that class when it is available, despite the NRCoT clearly stating otherwise. There are two classes of travel and Avanti's branding doesn't change that, it is a standard class coach with a different seating layout.

No, it's not. It is a First Class coach (shown by the great big 1s on the outside) where a supplement can be paid to upgrade, or a dedicated ticket can be purchased, and where certain offerings are not made available. It's basically exactly the same as the BR implementation of Weekend First but all week.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is a coach that has been declassified. It is not accommodation for holders of first class tickets.

If it's been declassified, then I can sit there with a Standard ticket without paying extra. Oh, I can't.

It is exactly the same as BR Weekend First - it is First Class. In effect, the expenses fraud it was aimed at (in part) is perpetuated by certain Standard tickets including a free upgrade but only in that coach.

I simply cannot see any problem with this at all, and tea/instant coffee is so "de minimis" (and not always provided) that I would say it definitely is "comparable transport conditions" to TPE First - indeed the seating and environment is markedly superior to anything TPE have except possibly the Mk5a 1st. I also can't see why Avanti should be compelled to provide meals to anyone who has not specifically purchased a ticket where they were included, i.e. a walk-up Any Permitted fare or one of their own Advances. Add to that the smaller amount of "regular" 1st and this seems a very sensible approach.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I simply cannot see any problem with this at all, and tea/instant coffee is so "de minimis" (and not always provided) that I would say it definitely is "comparable transport conditions" to TPE First - indeed the seating and environment is markedly superior to anything TPE have except possibly the Mk5a 1st.
Regardless of that, the coach the OP was booked in was a first class coach, so there was no reason for them to be told to move to an area which was available for use by those NOT holding first class tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regardless of that, the coach the OP was booked in was a first class coach, so there was no reason for them to be told to move to an area which was available for use by those NOT holding first class tickets.

I don't see any problem with it at all; terms will have been agreed between Avanti and TPE for the acceptance, and the environment is First Class - one of the best in the country in terms of the "hard product" at that.

Unless you are obsessed with paper cups of Nescafe, it's hard to see TPE 1st to Avanti SP as a downgrade, it's more of an upgrade. The environment is really very high quality.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I don't see any problem with it at all; terms will have been agreed between Avanti and TPE for the acceptance, and the environment is First Class - one of the best in the country in terms of the "hard product" at that.

Unless you are obsessed with paper cups of Nescafe, it's hard to see TPE 1st to Avanti SP as a downgrade, it's more of an upgrade. The environment is really very high quality.
I get that you have a determination to be right on this but the treatment of a customer in being told, effectively, that they are not good enough to sit in the seat the train operator has reserved for them is abysmal and I am certain you wouldn't be happy with it.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Indeed. If there were refreshments in Standard Premium but complimentary meals in First I could kind of see the argument, but in the circumstances, Standard Premium was a downgrade and so the closest comparable conditions were First. Even if that means an upgrade of sorts.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I get that you have a determination to be right on this but the treatment of a customer in being told, effectively, that they are not good enough to sit in the seat the train operator has reserved for them is abysmal and I am certain you wouldn't be happy with it.

I can see an issue with the reservation - the reality of this is that it should not have been issued. Perhaps this specific customer should have been given "benefit of the doubt" purely due to that.

Indeed. If there were refreshments in Standard Premium but complimentary meals in First I could kind of see the argument, but in the circumstances, Standard Premium was a downgrade and so the closest comparable conditions were First. Even if that means an upgrade of sorts.

It is really not. Pendolino 1st is by a very long way the best in the country in my view, and SP coaches are 1st coaches, they are even signed as such.

All Line Rover

Established Member
they are even signed as such.
Not any more they aren't (post refurb). They are/were signed as such because Avanti, in their usual fashion, can't be bothered to do anything they don't have to. And if that lack of branding obscures the standard premium coach and results in fewer people upgrading because they are unaware it exists and is not in fact "first class", so be it.

the environment is First Class

I disagree with this also. Standard Premium attracts hen parties, sports fans, families etc. The ambiance often differs markedly from first class, of any train operator. I am confident that if you surveyed the passengers travelling First on Avanti and asked them to explain why they decided to travel First, the (vast) majority would say "because it's First / for the ambiance", not "for the (mostly awful) food".

I do believe that Avanti's Standard Premium is nice to have and is a good, well-priced offering, but with only one carriage and the ambiance varying so much, I would only upgrade on board once I know who I will be sharing with.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Sounds to me that the Avanti TM had a bee in his bonnet and was making up the rules as he went along.
Just to point out as per my previous post I was sat with Avanti TMs and drivers yesterday and the decision came from above.
Not any more they aren't (post refurb).
They still are and and the SP coach still says First. The H door inside has lost First signage. G door sticker outside now says Standard so they haven’t forgotten!

realemil

It is really not. Pendolino 1st is by a very long way the best in the country in my view, and SP coaches are 1st coaches, they are even signed as such.
This is your view though. This is your opinion.

Standard Premium is NOT a First Class Offering.

It's a different ticket type. It's a different offering. It's a cheaper ticket. It doesn't matter if it's the same seating or 'coach' - it's not the same service.

As others have said:
If I hold a First Class Airline Ticket and my plane is canceled - and I get rerouted onto another flight and get told that 'We're putting you in business class because you should feel lucky that you can travel on a new flight' - that's not acceptable.

The TM acted disgracefully and I hope that the OP gets offered the 'two complimentary first-class tickets' that they typically do.

I was kicked off, an Avanti service previously, completely (from 1st Class) because the TM wouldn't accept my ticket as valid (albeit it was valid, and had a strict itinerary). Avanti staff are getting worse by the month.

LowLevel

Established Member
Guards do not have the power to overrule company policy. If they do they are, like anyone else doing so, subject to disciplinary action. More than, as it goes, their job is worth.
When it comes to things like seating people on a train the guard has a very significant amount of discretion. My employer likes to call it "doing the right thing".

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It appears from the above that it was a decision of Avanti management, not the guard.
Nobody was forcing him to enforce it, were they? He could just as well have been "undertaking safety critical duties" for the whole journey.

wellhouse

Last year I was diverted at Newcastle from a TPE East Coast train to Edinburgh to travel via Carlisle.

On joining the Avanti service there, an announcement was made that TPE First Class ticket holders were entitled only to use Standard Premium. As it happens, I was using splits that included an Anytime ticket from Morpeth to North Queensferry, so mine was accepted in First Class, but it is clearly Avanti Company Policy to bar TPE Only First Class passengers from Avanti First Class

gray1404

Established Member
From what I gathered yesterday they (the passengers) all failed the ‘attitude test’. Even the one on my train who wasn’t for moving.
I think it is wrong that a conversation is then being had about the passengers is hard in a derogatory way by the on-board staff let alone in an area where other members of the public can hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.