• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

first great western scratchcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave4jackie

lady just came to the window at the station i work at with a scratchcard valid on first great western wanting to go to london told her that not valid from this area(north west),she said she bid for it on a website,is the such a ticket or is it a forgery

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Either way, it's been illegally sold on so it's not valid.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Either way, it's been illegally sold on so it's not valid.

Are you sure? The FGW scratchcards I've had have stated that they are transferrable until validated by scratching off/writing in the journey.

From speaking with station staff though apparently head office are always coming up with there tickets and never send any details on, sounds like a (brave) fraudster's paradise.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are you sure? The FGW scratchcards I've had have stated that they are transferrable until validated by scratching off/writing in the journey.

To quote the NRCoC:

6. Transferring a ticket to another person

No purchaser of a ticket may resell or transfer that ticket for value to anyone else unless this has been specifically allowed by the terms and conditions which apply to that ticket, and which will be made clear when you buy your ticket.

So unless the T&Cs of the ticket make it clear that you can resell it then I'd say that you're at least in violation of the NRCoC. The Byelaws have this to say:

21. Unauthorised buying or selling of tickets

(1) Subject to Byelaw 21(4), no person shall sell or buy any ticket.

(2) Subject to Byelaw 21(4), no person shall transfer or receive any unused or partly used ticket, intending that any person shall use it for travelling unless the conditions of use for the ticket specifically permit such transfer.

17(3) Subject to Byelaw 21(4), no person shall knowingly use any ticket which has been obtained in breach of Byelaw 21.

(4) The sale or transfer by, or the purchase or receipt from, an authorised person in the course of his duties or from an authorised ticket machine is excepted from the provisions of Byelaw 21.

I don't think bidding for a ticket on a website is going to be covered under any of the exceptions here. So it's probably in violation of the Byelaws.

Flamingo

Established Member
Scratchcards exist, I expect we will be seeing a lot of them in the New Year after the past few weeks troubles. However, I am fairly sure they are FGW only.

richw

Veteran Member
Ainsworth74 fgw scratch cards are transferable. They are not tickets. They are a method of payment valid with fgw only, effectively like a gift voucher kind of thing you'd get in a shop.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But can they be sold on by whoever has been originally issued it? I'm not disputing that they can be transferred but the line:

she said she bid for it on a website

Doesn't sound like someone who's been given it, it sounds like someone who has been sold it. Unless FGW have a sale where you can bid on them (explaining the above quote) I'm unsure how that can be permitted.

Flamingo

Established Member
Doesn't sound like someone who's been given it, it sounds like someone who has been sold it. Unless FGW have a sale where you can bid on them (explaining the above quote) I'm unsure how that can be permitted.

As far as I know, they are issued by Customer Services as a goodwill gesture / compensation on occasions when Rail Travel Vouchers may not be appropriate. They are not sold.

wintonian

Established Member
One assumes then that a legitimate (transferred or not) one would look rather similar to the FCC ones given out last year.

TEW

Established Member
As far as I know, they are issued by Customer Services as a goodwill gesture / compensation on occasions when Rail Travel Vouchers may not be appropriate. They are not sold.

Given to people as raffle prizes, or to auction for charity as well.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Given to people as raffle prizes, or to auction for charity as well.

Ahh well if that's the case then there could well be nothing wrong with the woman's ticket in the original post (as that would explain the whole bidding thing) other than it only being valid on FGW so not much use in the North West :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
Ahh well if that's the case then there could well be nothing wrong with the woman's ticket in the original post (as that would explain the whole bidding thing) other than it only being valid on FGW so not much use in the North West :lol:

you'd think she'd find out what she was bidding for first wouldnt you?

Status
Not open for further replies.