• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Volvodart

Established Member
Original order was 22 single deckers for the 9. Second order was 35 single deckers and 91 double deckers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Beginning to see buses branded from the 2 and 3 sneak onto the 1s around peak times. Seen a 3 bus on a 1C today and even in the mornings some of the Old Kilpatrick/Clydebank 1/1As have been buses from the 2 and 3

Jarcoed

3 Enviro200 EV's out on the 46 today, the past few times I've been at college my 16.15 to Castlemilk has been an Enviro200 EV

I do find myself unlucky when it comes to riding the Enviro200 EV's because there is always one thing happening, either the bus is about to crash, an argument happens on board or someone falls because of the acceleration they have. I try to avoid them now hahaha - they are very likeable buses though

The depots who operate the 1C and 1D are a mixture. The double decks that operate are based at Scotstoun. Whilst single decks are also a bit of a mixture too. The 53 registration E300s are Dumbarton based but others are mostly Scotstoun based.

In the longer term the use of newer double decks or electric vehicle have yet to be explored. In particular double decks need a minor route change to avoid a low bridge in Clydebank. Which is not impossible, since probably too many services use Barns Stret and others could serve the developing area of Dumbarton!/Glasgow Road.
The 57 plate B9TL Geminis are all Dumbarton Depot based except from a few that Scotstoun have and are mostly on the 2 & 3, Scotstoun do some morning and evening peak journeys on the 1C & 1D.

The 57 plate B9TL Geminis are all Dumbarton Depot based except from a few that Scotstoun have and are mostly on the 2 & 3, Scotstoun do some morning and evening peak journeys on the 1C & 1D.
The double decks on the 1C and 1D change crews at Scotstoun. So that tends to suggest its their base.

The double decks on the 1C and 1D change crews at Scotstoun. So that tends to suggest its

The double decks on the 1C and 1D change crews at Scotstoun. So that tends to suggest its their base.
They're 100% Dumbarton based, they get the odd maintenance check at Scotstoun and used if necessary but they're definitely Dumbarton based and mostly Dumbarton drivers drive them like I said above, never once saw 1C & 1D drivers change in Scotstoun. Get the odd B9TL on the 206 as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-230121_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-230121_Excel.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 29
The 1D essentially covers where the 6 was removed from in Mountblow ages ago?

No idea what the 1C does, quick bus from Drumchapel? Given that the 6A, 60 & 3 all run from the chapel, why a 1C?

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 1D essentially covers where the 6 was removed from in Mountblow ages ago?

No idea what the 1C does, quick bus from Drumchapel? Given that the 6A, 60 & 3 all run from the chapel, why a 1C?
It was also a replacement for the 42 between Scotstoun and Drumchapel when that got cut back to operating between Garscadden and Partick then eventually removed. The only reason it's numbered a 1C is that it was a thing before the 1D especially as it would sense for the 1C and 1D to swap around given their routes.

The unfortunate thing with the 1D is that it halved the frequency of buses in Mountblow when it came in. As much as I liked the 42 as it meant not having to change to go to Sauchiehall St the 1C has been a massive success

LT02 NVV

Beginning to see buses branded from the 2 and 3 sneak onto the 1s around peak times. Seen a 3 bus on a 1C today and even in the mornings some of the Old Kilpatrick/Clydebank 1/1As have been buses from the 2 and 3
If that 1C was in the morning, then it’s probably one of the few ones that run from the Scotstoun depot, and most of the time, become a 6A service after completing that 1C run. I have explained it here before:

The 1C has a morning service normally operated by the Scotstoun depot. It’s normally the 07:33 service and is operated either by a Scotstoun owned Gemini, E400, or Eclipse Urban, that would head to the town. Most of the time this bus becomes a 6A service at 08:16 that sometimes runs on the service all day, or heads back to Scotstoun and comes a 2 later in the evening (which has started to happen a lot in 2021). I think since 2020, the service is sometimes run by a Dumbarton owned bus that heads back to the Dumbarton depot afterwords.

Also, the last few services of the night on both the 1C and 1D are operated by a Scotstoun bus which comes off the 6A as well.
(above explains the 1C being run by the Scotsoun depot)

They're 100% Dumbarton based, they get the odd maintenance check at Scotstoun and used if necessary but they're definitely Dumbarton based and mostly Dumbarton drivers drive them like I said above, never once saw 1C & 1D drivers change in Scotstoun. Get the odd B9TL on the 206 as well.
Funny you say that. Just passed the Scotstoun changeover point. With a 1C in the ptocess6of changing. Guess that was the 1453 from the City.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If that 1C was in the morning, then it’s probably one of the few ones that run from the Scotstoun depot, and most of the time, become a 6A service after completing that 1C run. I have explained it here before:

(above explains the 1C being run by the Scotsoun depot)
I knew they changed into something but didn't know what it was thanks.

Funny you say that. Just passed the Scotstoun changeover point. With a 1C in the ptocess6of changing. Guess that was the 1453 from the City.
The 1C/1D only ever change at Scotstoun from experience. Been the same since they began from what I can remember from using both a lot.

smtglasgow

Do Dumbarton drivers take their meal breaks in Scotstoun? Otherwise where else would they take them – the bothy at Clydebank doesn’t look too good from the outside? But the bulk of the 1C/D is definitely run out of Dumbarton – you see a lot of the buses heading home on the A82 between 6 and 7.

I’ve seen drivers change over at Clydebank on the 1D, but could they be heading for a train back to Dumbarton?

It’s a complex operation which probably would be better off running out of Scotstoun.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the problem with them is the amount of swapping into each other they do. In the evening the 1/1A swap into 1Cs in Osborne St and on a Sunday the 1/1A/1B swap into 1Cs and vice versa too and then during the day the 1 and 1A swap into each other at Balloch and the 1A and 1B swap into each other at Osborne St.

As successful as they are if the room is at Scotstoun I'd swap the numbers of the 1C and 1D into X services. They could even be tied into the X4 into a trio and branded as such too.

X2 replacing the 1D, X4 as it is and X6 as the 1C

Joerf21

Do Dumbarton drivers take their meal breaks in Scotstoun? Otherwise where else would they take them – the bothy at Clydebank doesn’t look too good from the outside? But the bulk of the 1C/D is definitely run out of Dumbarton – you see a lot of the buses heading home on the A82 between 6 and 7.

I’ve seen drivers change over at Clydebank on the 1D, but could they be heading for a train back to Dumbarton?

It’s a complex operation which probably would be better off running out of Scotstoun.
The 1d drivers start and finish in Clydebank.

The 1d drivers start and finish in Clydebank.
Have noted 1Ds changing crews at Clydebank before, however the earlier post and today's observations seems to point to 1Cs changing at Scotstoun.

Could possibly be a hangover to the driver shortages or could as suggested be that Dumbarton drivers take their breaks at Scotstoun. One way or the other it seems to be currently going on for now

route101

Established Member
I have always been confused with the operation of the 1 services. I thought the 1C and 1D were Scotstoun services. There is one early town bound 1D that is usually a 77 branded E400MMC.

Joerf21

Have noted 1Ds changing crews at Clydebank before, however the earlier post and today's observations seems to point to 1Cs changing at Scotstoun.

Could possibly be a hangover to the driver shortages or could as suggested be that Dumbarton drivers take their breaks at Scotstoun. One way or the other it seems to be currently going on for now

Yes the 1d, drivers take a break at scotstoun

mb3

Oh, OK.
Anyway, I need to ask, why do First Glasgow still keep the 1E, it literally runs only at peak-times on weekdays, and could easily be replaced by extra 1 or 1A buses in it’s place. The only difference I can find between the 1E & the 1/1A is that it stops at Bonhill, why not run 1A buses there instead?
It is useful for passengers east of Dumbarton wanting to travel to Bonhill etc without the need to change onto a 206. Also, as stated it’s an “express” albeit it still takes an hour and twenty minutes to Balloch. However it is good for the few passengers wanting to travel back to Balloch, getting them there quicker than the 1/1A. I have used this service to Balloch myself a few times and it is well used until Dalmuir. Afterwards it is farely quiet but I have seen a few folk get on along the route and get off in Bonhill.

I’m not overly familiar with Dumbarton Depot and it’s routes, does the 1D & 1C both run from there or does scotstoun depot do those?

Presumably Dumbarton also has one or two other local/smaller routes?

Since we are on the subject, its been discussed elsewhere that B8 Volvo are more suitable for longer routes simply because there usually more refined and a little more comfortable etc.

As has been said elsewhere some people may be concerned whether the dedication to electric or hydrogen buses after those type of vehicles would turn 15 years old, are they are gonna be durable if used high speed all the time, well…44mph.

I would also add that I’d really like to see major investment on the 1/1A/1B, long distance, perhaps not competing with a train service, that should be no reason why you shouldn’t speculate to accumulate, the E300s maybe ok generally speaking, but there not something I’d want to travel on from Helensburgh, I wonder if it was a coach service and extended to Garelochead, how they’d do.
Dumbarton depot runs all of The One services. However, there are a few peak time runs where it is run by Scotstoun drivers and buses.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
67024 and 67025 (34/34A branded enviros) on the 240/267 routes today, are they on loan or being transfered?
I’d have thought the 34/34A might see new E200EVs. They could upgrade the Lanarkshire routes with newer E200MMCs.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
67024 and 67025 (34/34A branded enviros) on the 240/267 routes today, are they on loan or being transfered?
Purely just speculation but i wouldn't be surprised if the 34A got the last of the E200EVs in the current order.

GaryBrown156

Does anyone have any information on how the new Enviro400EV's are bedding in and what they are like compared to the MMC's?.
Unfortunately I haven't have an opertunity to try one for myself yet. I've been on a few 75's over the past few weeks but each time it has been an MMC that has turned up. I did spot one of the new EV's on Hope Street the other day though and was surprised to see that these buses do not have a glazed staircase like the similarly bodied buses on the 500 have. Is there any specific reason for this???.

Thanks

stevenedin

Established Member
Does anyone have any information on how the new Enviro400EV's are bedding in and what they are like compared to the MMC's?.
Unfortunately I haven't have an opertunity to try one for myself yet. I've been on a few 75's over the past few weeks but each time it has been an MMC that has turned up. I did spot one of the new EV's on Hope Street the other day though and was surprised to see that these buses do not have a glazed staircase like the similarly bodied buses on the 500 have. Is there any specific reason for this???.

Thanks
I think that having less glass is to do with the weight. It makes the bus lighter and therefore requires less energy to move.

Jarcoed

The whole lot?
As in the pink fronted ones, the 34A branded ones and the remaining 65 reg ones?
Any idea what vehicles the 34A is getting?
That would be hinted by the fact there are more regular Enviro200 EV on the 34A today. I saw 64105 and 64106 today. They've been showing up on the 46 too.

I took this image during my walk today, sorry if the display isn't clear, it was taken with a bridge camera

Attachments

• IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 54