• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

voidwxrranty

It was one of the routes First gave up in February. Hobson's is cancelled from next month, no replacement is known yet.
Rumour from staff at both Hobson and ARG is that they are taking the run on for another few months, which, personally, I’ll be happily for that, staff with both are really friendly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
When I was waiting at Oswald St, I checked the app to see where my bus was and there was a 2 tracking in Caledonia Depot. Would it just be testing a destination screen that causes this or something else?

Spsf3232

When I was waiting at Oswald St, I checked the app to see where my bus was and there was a 2 tracking in Caledonia Depot. Would it just be testing a destination screen that causes this or something else?
Both probably been taken off the road without drivers

PaulMc7

Established Member
It wouldn't be that as it's run fully by Scotstoun so they're cut short there most of the time. It's now tracking near the M74 junction at Polmadie.

I can't see it at all now but that's where I last seen it.

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
Does anybody know if it's still possible to buy a four-week ticket on paper? My phone - which I can't afford to replace at the moment - is not ageing gracefully and the new update to the First app is not playing nicely with it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It wouldn't be that as it's run fully by Scotstoun so they're cut short there most of the time. It's now tracking near the M74 junction at Polmadie.

The vehicle in question is driver trainer 69225. The training fleet carry ticket machines and do occasionally track in service.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The vehicle in question is driver trainer 69225. The training fleet carry ticket machines and do occasionally track in service.
Thank you for the information. I was so confused when I noticed as it's not something I've actually noticed before.

Perhaps it's heading to Aberdeen.

Volvodart

Established Member
Does anybody know if it's still possible to buy a four-week ticket on paper? My phone - which I can't afford to replace at the moment - is not ageing gracefully and the new update to the First app is not playing nicely with it.
The online tickets page says you can get it sent to you but there is no means to order them. There appears to be no mention now of Paypoint which would have been the alternative.

E400Lover101

The other issue is the 6 due to the Busby low bridge so unless a new low height decker is suitable then it'll eventually end up being all single decker.
If Scotstoun end up with 71 and 22 Plate E400EV's they CAN still do the usual route.

As I said previously, If they put any buses Taller than 13' 9" the driver would have to put the bus through Eaglesham and then go onto the normal route by taking the expressway at Belle Craig Roundabout.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If Scotstoun end up with 71 and 22 Plate E400EV's they CAN still do the usual route.

As I said previously, If they put any buses Taller than 13' 9" the driver would have to put the bus through Eaglesham and then go onto the normal route by taking the expressway at Belle Craig Roundabout.
E400EVs are 13'9" from what I could find and understand so that would be a non-starter. The only thing I can think of is that they divert the 6 via the route you've suggested and create a new single decker route via Busby from the City Centre so both options are catered for. It could be numbered a 6B to make it easy enough to understand.

Obviously, it's a few years away from being a headache and it depends on the passenger loads on the 6 holding up as they are anyway. From my experiences of the 6, an every 30 minute service via Busby could genuinely work. When I've used the 6, most people have gotten off at either Clarkston, Westwood or East Kilbride Bus Station if it's been further into the route.

Ideally, it could either be a 6 every 30 mins via Belle Craig Roundabout with the 6B every 30 mins via Busby keeping the every 15 mins overall but you could even do the 7/7A pattern with 12 min times between buses and do 3 an hour via Belle Craig Roundabout and 2 an hour via Busby.

NEW POST:

Is 38400 the E400EV demonstrator different to the E400EVs we have? If so in what way?

Last edited:

voidwxrranty

E400EVs are 13'9" from what I could find and understand so that would be a non-starter. The only thing I can think of is that they divert the 6 via the route you've suggested and create a new single decker route via Busby from the City Centre so both options are catered for. It could be numbered a 6B to make it easy enough to understand.

Obviously, it's a few years away from being a headache and it depends on the passenger loads on the 6 holding up as they are anyway. From my experiences of the 6, an every 30 minute service via Busby could genuinely work. When I've used the 6, most people have gotten off at either Clarkston, Westwood or East Kilbride Bus Station if it's been further into the route.

Ideally, it could either be a 6 every 30 mins via Belle Craig Roundabout with the 6B every 30 mins via Busby keeping the every 15 mins overall but you could even do the 7/7A pattern with 12 min times between buses and do 3 an hour via Belle Craig Roundabout and 2 an hour via Busby.

NEW POST:

Is 38400 the E400EV demonstrator different to the E400EVs we have? If so in what way?
Destination display is different, looks more rollerblind style, like on the newer 400ev’s for London.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Destination display is different, looks more rollerblind style, like on the newer 400ev’s for London.
Thanks for the information. I did notice that on the images of it I've seen but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I missed.

NEW POST:

38400 has a higher spec interior than the 91 local examples and was allegedly here for display to Airport Management as the 500 contract is due to renewal soon.
The front screen appears to be an LCD but does have a "roller" look about it.

https://flic.kr/p/2oK7YLa - offside
https://flic.kr/p/2oK67Ba - nearside

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
38400 has a higher spec interior than the 91 local examples and was allegedly here for display to Airport Management as the 500 contract is due to renewal soon.

It would be nice to see some EVs on the 500 although I imagine Glasgow would lose the current E400City’s which are lovely buses.

I also noticed the rear display showing "Bus Stopping" under the number. I wasn't sure whether it was roller or LCD but thought rolling up slightly to show "Bus Stopping" and then down again when the bus stopped would be quite involved so I guess it's likely to be LCD as well.

Volvodart

Established Member
Maybe the airport are thinking about bidding for Scottish Government funding to buy the buses for the 500 themselves like the single deckers they already have.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I know that a lot of E300s are on lease and that lease is due to expire soon as we've discussed on this thread previously but how long should the other E300s realistically have left?

The E300 I got on the 90 earlier was struggling massively to get up even the most basic of hills and I've had another couple lately that have been in similar situations. It seems to be the Scotstoun based ones I've experienced this most on though.

NEW POST:
I noticed this getting added last night to the website but the new timetables aren't added yet:

We wanted to let you know that from Sunday 16th July, revised timetables will be in place with minor adjustments on the following services.

• Service 87
  • Services 89/A/B
  • Services X85/X87
To view updated timetables, please visit: FirstGlasgow.com/Timetables

From 16th July, First Glasgow will no longer operate the following routes currently run on behalf of SPT:

• Service 11, Gartnavel Hospital - Clydebank
  • Service 71A, Glasgow, City Centre

Please contact SPT for more details.

Last edited:

voidwxrranty

I know that a lot of E300s are on lease and that lease is due to expire soon as we've discussed on this thread previously but how long should the other E300s realistically have left?

The E300 I got on the 90 earlier was struggling massively to get up even the most basic of hills and I've had another couple lately that have been in similar situations. It seems to be the Scotstoun based ones I've experienced this most on though.

NEW POST:
I noticed this getting added last night to the website but the new timetables aren't added yet:

Which E300 was it if you don’t mind me asking? Some are quicker than others, then 67823 sounds like a Streetlite with its knackered axles lol

PaulMc7

Established Member
Which E300 was it if you don’t mind me asking? Some are quicker than others, then 67823 sounds like a Streetlite with its knackered axles lol
I didn't see the fleet number as I had to run for the 2 immediately after getting off of the 90 in Partick. It was branded for the 3 though. They're so inconsistent in terms of quality now. I've used a few that still seem in very good condition then others that don't seem like they'll last much longer.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
First seem to be really utilising advertisements on their buses. A lot of buses in wraps. Makes for an interesting looking. Spotted the all in green OVO E400EV today which looks very striking!

PaulMc7

Established Member
First seem to be really utilising advertisements on their buses. A lot of buses in wraps. Makes for an interesting looking. Spotted the all in green OVO E400EV today which looks very striking!
All of the advertising seems to be very striking at the moment and each advertisement looks eye-catching and brightly coloured too. The "drivers wanted" colour is extremely bright as well as the Rockstar advertising, the Beatson Cancer Charity wrap and the OVO Energy one. The Pride livery despite being a dark colour is also very unique and stands out. I wonder what else is to come on the advertising and promotional side as it's a great way to boost revenue in a time where it's badly needed.

route101

Established Member
All of the advertising seems to be very striking at the moment and each advertisement looks eye-catching and brightly coloured too. The "drivers wanted" colour is extremely bright as well as the Rockstar advertising, the Beatson Cancer Charity wrap and the OVO Energy one. The Pride livery despite being a dark colour is also very unique and stands out. I wonder what else is to come on the advertising and promotional side as it's a great way to boost revenue in a time where it's badly needed.
Do these adverts block the view from the windows for passengers?

Bus Lightyear

Do these adverts block the view from the windows for passengers?
It's called contravision and you can see out of the windows although not as well.

AH101, which is still alive in preservation, was one of the first I can remember turned out in this style.

Not my photo, credit to the photographer mentioned below.

From Flickr user Gerry McLaughlin - Strathclyde Buses Alexander bodied Volvo Citybus AH101 G545RDS in Knightswood, Glasgow in 1995 with an extremely contra-vision advertisement for a Local Honda dealer.

The OVO Energy, Rockstar and Pride ones don't
Somehow I don't think the buses would be allowed out on the road in that case.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
It's called contravision and you can see out of the windows although not as well.

AH101, which is still alive in preservation, was one of the first I can remember turned out in this style.

Not my photo, credit to the photographer.

Somehow I don't think the buses would be allowed out on the road in that case.
I'm confused by what you mean to be honest? I've not used the OVO or Pride one yet but the view out of the windows on the Rockstar ones is barely worsened at all from experience.

NEW POST:

According to Bustimes.org, 37241 and 37242 have been at Blantyre since Friday. Did anything else get transferred to Blantyre and has anything gone to Scotstoun in their place?

Last edited: