• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group online assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffer68

Hi all, just after some help please.

I have applied quite a few times, initially with GWR when living in Devon, and now with Southwestern Railway since moving back to Bournemouth, for various roles such as customer service but never been successful in getting past the online stage. I fill in all personal, education and work history parts fine which then takes me to the online assessment. This comprises 20 varying type scenarios each with a number of outcomes and you have to say which is the best and worst outcome. I have seen a lot of these scenarios each time I apply and have even asked SWR where I might be going wrong. I was told choose the most safety related answer where possible and thats what I do but still no luck.

I would be grateful for any advice please. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
That’s the advice I always give as well, its all about safety, following rules and regulations, and not causing delay.
it may seem to go against the grain especially if you are applying for a customer service role to not prioritise the customer focused response but If It means corners are cut or regulations aren't followed then it’s not the best answer.

Hope that makes sense and good luck in any future attempts.

Buffer68

That’s the advice I always give as well, its all about safety, following rules and regulations, and not causing delay.
it may seem to go against the grain especially if you are applying for a customer service role to not prioritise the customer focused response but If It means corners are cut or regulations aren't followed then it’s not the best answer.

Hope that makes sense and good luck in any future attempts.
Thanks for your reply. So as an example: "You're a guard walking across the platform towards your train, which is already 20 minutes late, and you see a defective boarding ramp. Bearing in mind that you know someone is checking all such equipment but is over the other side of the station. Choose the best and worst answer: A - radio back to the station office from your train once underway; B - remove the defective ramp from the platform, even though this will delay your train more; C - not worry as you know that your colleague will get to it soon;D - not sure what the other option was. I went for B though a the Best answer as it is safety critical, and worst as C, in case he doesn't get round to it!
Other questions aren't safe related at all but involve dealing with colleagues and managers etc.

MiNi

I think C is that your experienced colleague is on the platform and will take care of it. So C would be the best answer and B the least. Ref your applications you may take many,many goes at the online test to pass it. It really depends on your application,location etc,etc. I personally am on 28 applications over the last 3 years and only recently(with help from another in my position) have progressed further than previous applications.Good luck.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. So as an example: "You're a guard walking across the platform towards your train, which is already 20 minutes late, and you see a defective boarding ramp. Bearing in mind that you know someone is checking all such equipment but is over the other side of the station. Choose the best and worst answer: A - radio back to the station office from your train once underway; B - remove the defective ramp from the platform, even though this will delay your train more; C - not worry as you know that your colleague will get to it soon;D - not sure what the other option was. I went for B though a the Best answer as it is safety critical, and worst as C, in case he doesn't get round to it!
Other questions aren't safe related at all but involve dealing with colleagues and managers etc.

The key phrase in B is ".......even though this will delay your train more". Big Thumbs down!

I think I have in the past put A as best answer - you've seen a problem and reported it but not caused any undue delay. As you've said, don't rely on the colleague finding it, they may not get round to it, may not notice it or get sidetracked by a customer.

TacoTraveller

Your train comes first, minimising delays and safety onboard is top priority.

Being as you've seen the defective ramp doesn't mean it's in use, and could or would be checked possibly before use by your colleague.

Out of the 3 answers you've shown us as you didn't know what D was it'd be A, C, B

Haru

I have done quite a few of these for First group and have always passed with priority going safety, customer service then delays.

These SJT are looking for how well you follow rules and procedure and how customer focused you are. If you are one of the top managers and you see your staff in this situation, would you rather they prioritised safety and customer first instead of just thinking about money?

The railway would always rather you be late then to make a mistake etc, the managers have no comeback if you prioritised safety. How would it also look if a driver just walked past an old couple struggling instead of helping?

FGW_DID

Established Member
I have done quite a few of these for First group and have always passed with priority going safety, customer service then delays.

These SJT are looking for how well you follow rules and procedure and how customer focused you are. If you are one of the top managers and you see your staff in this situation, would you rather they prioritised safety and customer first instead of just thinking about money?

The railway would always rather you be late then to make a mistake etc, the managers have no comeback if you prioritised safety. How would it also look if a driver just walked past an old couple struggling instead of helping?

Maybe assisting them with large luggage onto a train as they are walking past but not to traipse across the other side of the station, carrying their bags for them! The driver would be expected to get the train out safely and with minimal delay.

Then again that's not one of the questions (at least not one that I've seen in the tests I've done) and it all depends very much on the wording of the question and answers. But safety and rules & regs will always trump the others.

Haru

I think there was also a question that went something along the lines of this, a group of managers are asking you to hold the train for another manager so they can get on but it will delay you, do you:

1. Delay your departure so they can all board
2. Ring control and ask for advice
3. Tell them you cannot delay the service

This question would be minimising delays first as it isn’t customer service.

Mabs

B is most and C least. Safety comes first even if it means trains are delayed or even cancelled.

Tevion539

Well, in one of my interviews I had mentioned how I helped a blind passenger to the toilet on one of my coach services which resulted in a small delay. I got the job. So imho,whilst timetables are important, safety is king. Don't forget, good health and safety also leads to a good environment for passengers which is considered good customer service. Knock on effect if you will.

Mattydo

What is the potential worst result of that defective ramp? a severe injury or other PTI incident that will make any delay seem insignificant. How can you guarantee that doesn't happen? Reporting it? Passing the problem on? or owning the problem and immediately rectifying it? The Rule book states that drivers are as responsible for platform safety as platform staff. That would drive my answer. Whether it's the one they want though...

Tevion539

What is the potential worst result of that defective ramp? a severe injury or other PTI incident that will make any delay seem insignificant. How can you guarantee that doesn't happen? Reporting it? Passing the problem on? or owning the problem and immediately rectifying it? The Rule book states that drivers are as responsible for platform safety as platform staff. That would drive my answer. Whether it's the one they want though...
It's the answer I chose when I done the tests two years ago, and I was fine but then I suppose it's also an overall score.

Buffer68

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. Hopefully there will be more opportunities to try at next year!

Aviator88

Remove the ramp - it could be a serious defect which results in injury (or worse). The reference to already being late is intended to influence your answer, which it shouldn't when there is a safety critical issue at hand.

As others have said, it's ALWAYS safety before timeliness.

Same with the late manager scenario - is it safety critical that they board the train? No, so timeliness takes precedence.

Status
Not open for further replies.