• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a couple of old threads that were appropriate but they were not open so started a new one!

Rumours have led to confirmation by an MD at Worcester that 9 more Citaros are coming, which will be fully refurbished before entering service. This is due to the Leicester LEZ, where the 65 plate Streetlites will be moving to, presumably to oust the B7Ls. There is currently 63358-366 at Worcester, plus 47513-18, so 9 more makes sense to replace the 63s. My only idea as to where these can come from is Yourbus, who were advertising quite a few for sale, and have recently stopped some of their competing services in Derby. Anyone else got any ideas ?

The only other Citaros in the group are those at Slough which were all repainted recently, the Truro P&R ones, which I think the council own, and a couple of stored/training vehicles dotted about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Are you quite sure that the Streetlites are moving to Leicester ?

Yep I’m fairly certain that the 63s are moving to Leicester, as per a few sources, still I could be wrong ! It makes sense anyway with those remaining 9 Streetlites moving out and 9 Citaros supposedly confirmed by the MD to be coming to Worcester. This would leave just 47513-18 at Worcester after 47519/20 moved to Potteries

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There's a report on Midland Red forum that says the MD has said more Citaros are due. Not quite sure that the reports substantiate the loss of Streetlites but it would make some sense. They do have 40 vehicles that are quite elderly that won't be retrofitted with the B7Ls (due for the chop) and B7RLEs.

EDIT: plus 4 B7TLs

There's a report on Midland Red forum that says the MD has said more Citaros are due. Not quite sure that the reports substantiate the loss of Streetlites but it would make some sense. They do have 40 vehicles that are quite elderly that won't be retrofitted with the B7Ls (due for the chop) and B7RLEs.

EDIT: plus 4 B7TLs

Yeh that’s where I saw it first (no pun intended) but had heard other rumours about the Streetlites moving, before the Citaro ‘advancement’ was mentioned

Alex 2901

Given that Slough have recently had one of their 7900Hs (69931, i believe) refurbed for the 8 & 9 (one of the Citaro routes), I'd say a number of the 9 Citaros that Worcester are due, are from Slough, if not all of them.

Given that Slough have recently had one of their 7900Hs (69931, i believe) refurbed for the 8 & 9 (one of the Citaro routes), I'd say a number of the 9 Citaros that Worcester are due, are from Slough, if not all of them.

As far as I am aware there hasn’t been any service changes to reduce the PVR of routes 8/9, and the 3 Citaros liveried up were never enough anyway, hence my presumption that Slough won’t be able to spare any. Looking at a timetable it appears that the 8/9 combined use 8 buses

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Leicester badly needs those 02 plate volvos replacing asap!

The reports to date have suggested that Streetlites from WofE and South Yorkshire are moving to Leicester, along with those 'Mendip' B7RLEs. Nothing about transfers from Worcester.

charliedaffin

9 citaros will be arriving in worcester from slough in January 2020, which will displace our streetlites to leicester, hence why our santa bus this year, 63365 i think, has been fitted with leicester vinals ready for the transfer. It is also worth mentioning that we are expecting some geminis from potteries so we can send our tridents to leicester

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
9 citaros will be arriving in worcester from slough in January 2020, which will displace our streetlites to leicester, hence why our santa bus this year, 63365 i think, has been fitted with leicester vinals ready for the transfer. It is also worth mentioning that we are expecting some geminis from potteries so we can send our tridents to leicester

Thought the Tridents were heading to Essex. They won’t meet the Leicester CAZ requirements.

Volvodart

Established Member
It was mentioned somewhere that Leicester were getting Geminis from Leeds and that at least some of the existing ones heading for Potteries I thought but it could have been Worcester.

Last edited:

Blackpudding

It was mentioned somewhere that Leicester were getting Geminis from Leeds and that at least some of the existing ones heading for Potteries I thought but it could have been Worcester.

Plan changed and Leicester now due StreetDecks from somewhere rather than B9TL from Leeds.

Volvodart

Established Member
There are photos on Facebook today of 35117/31 being towed to Leicester

Blackpudding

Would I be right in that former Manchester e400s/ returned off hire by Diamond or ex Leeds B9s have allowed these to head from FSY to Leicester?

Are these not for repair? The current poor state of the South Yorks fleet is well known and other vehicle types have already made the journey to Leicester for repair.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Would I be right in that former Manchester e400s/ returned off hire by Diamond or ex Leeds B9s have allowed these to head from FSY to Leicester?

They are being towed to Leicester as they have agreed to handle the repairs needed.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
You are right. Robertj21a and I are wrong. It is now confirmed that these are transfers although they do need engine repairs before seeing service in Leicester.

Well everybody is right really !

They are being towed to Leicester so that engine repairs can be undertaken. Once repaired they are expected to join the Leicester fleet rather than return to Sheffield.

Blackpudding

Well everybody is right really !

They are being towed to Leicester so that engine repairs can be undertaken. Once repaired they are expected to join the Leicester fleet rather than return to Sheffield.

Ha! I'll give you that one.

Volvodart

Established Member
From Facebook, 6 Streetdecks and 63379 are going to Leicester, replaced by Leeds Geminis to Sheffield.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Reported that First's Worcester to Birmingham trunk route 144 will be cut to just hourly Bromsgrove to Birmingham from next month

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't know if Leicester are getting all of our Streetdecks or just some (depends who you talk to round here!).

Nice buses internally, but a great example of the way that First lack the Midas touch. Introduced for the high profile X78 (Doncaster - Sheffield), pride of Midland Road depot in Rotherham, they even had seats with X78 on the head rests - the X78 has been the one big success under First - used to be a half hourly service but increased to every ten minutes - amazing for such a long distance route.

It was then cut to every fifteen minutes Doncaster to Rotherham (and every ten from Rotherham to Sheffield, which meant some journeys waiting around ten minutes at Rotherham Interchange so the two frequencies could slot together, thus alienating longer distance passengers).

Midland Road depot then closed and the buses were moved to Olive Grove in Sheffield.

The X78 was then cut to every fifteen minutes throughout (and downgraded to single deckers), with the Streetdecks sent to a "new" route (X1 - Maltby to Sheffield every ten minutes, a combination of a few services) despite them retaining the X78 branded seats.

Now the X1 is being cut back to every half hour at the Sheffield end (and the X78 stuck with single deckers).

The upshot is that these 65 plate vehicles have had a "fairly hard paper round" in South Yorkshire (if that expression translates to people in the East Midlands?)... internally they are very nice (first buses round here to have USB sockets etc), but mechanically they have been sweated pretty hard - best of luck to the Leicester depot in what they inherit!

Volvodart

Established Member
I posted above it was 6, at least for now anyway replaced by Geminis.

Status
Not open for further replies.