• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First North Western class 158s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which routes did FNW typically operate class 158s on?
FNW only had eight 158s - 158752-158759

They were allocated to FNW predominately against North Wales Coast services - eg Crewe / Manchester to Holyhead / Llandudno

Under FNW, some (158757-158759) were fitted with first class and moved to work Rochdale / Blackpool North to London Euston services.

Later, they also worked Manchester Airport to Blackpool North / Windermere / Barrow-in-Furness services.

Iskra

Established Member
FNW only had eight 158s - 158752-158759

They were allocated to FNW predominately against North Wales Coast services - eg Crewe / Manchester to Holyhead / Llandudno

Under FNW, some (158757-158759) were fitted with first class and moved to work Rochdale / Blackpool North to London Euston services.

Later, they also worked Manchester Airport to Blackpool North / Windermere / Barrow-in-Furness services.

Yes I remember riding them on these routes. I think the blue FNW livery was one of the nicest seen on a class 158 :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Which routes did FNW typically operate class 158s on?

I think the 175s replaced them on some of their routes; I seem to remember reading there was criticism of their lack of gangways and slightly lower seating capacity against a 158.

Iskra

Established Member
I think the 175s replaced them on some of their routes; I seem to remember reading there was criticism of their lack of gangways and slightly lower seating capacity against a 158.

Yes, weren't they a bit unreliable too the 175's at first?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes I remember riding them on these routes. I think the blue FNW livery was one of the nicest seen on a class 158 :)

Not PRM TSI sadly, but it's one of the nicest liveries of all time in my view. Understated and classy (far classier than GNER's orange on the dark blue), suited almost anything. The burgundy TPE livery (and the classy dark blue and wood effect interior) sits alongside it in my view, at least until First made a mess of it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I always thought the Gold Star livery was a bit Toytown to be honest.

The 158s with the first class section would later turn up almost anywhere. Had one on the Victoria to Wakefield Westgate a few times, and that was normally a 142 stronghold.

Iskra

Established Member

The 158s with the first class section would later turn up almost anywhere. Had one on the Victoria to Wakefield Westgate a few times, and that was normally a 142 stronghold.

I agree with that in terms of 142's. 150/153's looked slightly better and then 158's I thought it suited really well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

"First Class section" :D

That was a pure ORCATS raid.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
"First Class section" :D

That was a pure ORCATS raid.

Weren't they the 4 or so units inherited from Virgin XC, and came with first class in-situ? FNW never advertised any First Class services IIRC, other than on the Rochdale/Blackpool-Euston service.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Weren't they the 4 or so units inherited from Virgin XC, and came with first class in-situ? FNW never advertised any First Class services IIRC, other than on the Rochdale/Blackpool-Euston service.
Three - 158757-158759 - the first class was fitted with NSE first class moquette - they had no connection with XC's units which were 158747-158751.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Three - 158757-158759 - the first class was fitted with NSE first class moquette - they had no connection with XC's units which were 158747-158751.

Was thinking about that the other day; seem to recall many years back (mid/late 90s) remember one rolling into Wigan North Western on a Scotland-Liverpool service with peeling of NSE flashes under the cab Window?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

No. The Virgin XC ones had "proper" 2+1 1st similar to that in the SWT units. The FNW ones had the seat covers changed and antimacassars put on the seats - I think a partition was later added but wasn't there when the London service launched. It was only the London units that received this. There were indeed I think 3 of them - I guess one for each of Blackpool/Man Vic plus a spare?

Fokx

Having travelled on a few Northern 158’s from this batch which still have the silver grid and phone book shelf fitted, at what point where the pay phones removed? Pre or post First North Western?

Iskra

Established Member
Having travelled on a few Northern 158’s from this batch which still have the silver grid and phone book shelf fitted, at what point where the pay phones removed? Pre or post First North Western?
I believe they survived physically into Northern days. Whether they were functional or not I can’t say.

Status
Not open for further replies.