• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First rolling stock you can remember travelling on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Steam-hauled non-corridor stock to Amlwch.

That dates me!

The heater switch was a substantial lever on the bulkhead; we had great fun using it as a surrogate regulator. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
First train I can remember is a Northern Spirit 156 when I was about 4.

delt1c

Established Member
101 Edinburgh Waverly to Dunfermline, closely followed by 107 from St Enochs to Stevenson ( one of the final workings). Also remember an 8F on an engineering train at Saltcoats around the same time

DidcotDickie

Ex-GWR buffet car on Cardiff to Padd steam hauled express in late 1950s. Loco was probably a Castle
Ex LMS (and later ex-LNER) non-corridor stock on the LT&S hauled by 2-6-4 tanks during late 50s and early 60s. Also had a run from Upminster to Thorpe Bay behind a Brush Type 2 (became class 31) on a rake of ex-LNER Thompson non-corridor stock. This was just before the AM2/class 302s took over.
What became the AM6/306 in their original 1500V DC mode between Romford and Brentwood
Met-Camm DMUs on Romford to Upminster branch. Also travelled on a Derby Lightweight DMU from Norwich to Sheringham and back in the early 60s.
R and CO/CP stock on the District Line. I also travelled on what I think was the Q stock - really ancient even in the 1950s as the coaches had clerestory roofs.

hooverboy

On Moderation
class 45 and mk1's out of st pancras! wonderful.

used to be such a nice mix of motive power. usually 45's or 47's but occasionally you'd get a treat.
maybe 2* 25's
maybe a 31
maybe a 37
maybe a 40

if you were really unlucky then it was the old 127's with slammers all the way down,stopping every station with no gangway(hence no toilet) between carriages,everybody smoking like chimneys,and the distinctive farting sound from the exhaust!

Last edited:

Great Western suburban, maroon, non corridor stock, 4 coaches pulled by 4XXX pannier tank or occasionally a (wonderful) prairie.

Standard stock from Rayners Lane on the Piccadilly Line and that huge step down into the train for a five year old.

Also F stock (with the big oval windows at the front) from Uxbridge on occasions.

Last edited:
Thought there must have been earlier ones on the Southern Electric the earliest memory is of Mk 1 stock in April 1974 on the Southampton Boat Train before getting the MV Aureol to Sierra Leone. Memory is of the ride being less than smooth, which must have been something given trips to London from Croydon would have involved Mk 1 emus into Victoria and they certainly weren’t smooth either.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
My earliest is aged about 3/4- certainly before I started school in the early 70's on what I later found out to be a Picasso railcar in Britanny. I can remember being confused as to why the driver sat so high up and it didn't look like anything in my 'Thomas' books. Can also remember going round some old station yard and being equally confused as to why a discarded Mallet tank had an extra set of cylinders in the middle.

Oldrowley

The memory's a bit fuzzy on this subject but I do remember telling Mr Huskisson to stay in his seat when the train stopped but he knew better and got walloped by a rocket or something!

SwindonBert

I don't remember before HSTs, but I would have travelled on something before them - whatever they replaced on the GWML between Swindon & London, but don't remember them

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I don't remember before HSTs, but I would have travelled on something before them - whatever they replaced on the GWML between Swindon & London, but don't remember them

This is what I travelled to/from Paddington-Swindon by on a visit to Swindon Works during April 1973, there were also several class 52s that flashed through non-stop on IC expresses that day too.

Attachments

• IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 22

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
These:

Hitachi-train-42m-mfy.jpg

LLivery

Established Member
The HSTs on the MML. They pass the hospital I was born in, the old workplace of a family member, the house I've lived in, a flat I've lived in and taken me to Uni.

billio

A trip on the Holcombe Brook branch when it was steam operated, probably in 1952 just before it closed. I would be 5. I have a dim recollection that it was not a normal compartment carriage, more like a saloon. I had probably been on a Bury electric before that but I cannot remember a journey. In later years I could never understand why the train indicator boards at Victoria could show Holcombe Brook as a destination for an electric train. I know now.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is what I travelled to/from Paddington-Swindon by on a visit to Swindon Works during April 1973, there were also several class 52s that flashed through non-stop on IC expresses that day too.
What an excellent photo and really interesting to see that building going up in the background.
D1753 became 47491 Horwich Enterprise which broke down on me going up Dainton Bank in the 80s :lol:

Edgeley

Class 104 DMUs on the Buxton line: three carriages and the distinctive white cab roof. Usually the drivers would leave the cab blinds up so it was possible to sit behind and have a good view. Luxury compared to a present-day class 150.

Strathclyder

Established Member
303016%20Dalmuir%20031098g-L.jpg

On a Dumbarton Central - Balloch service & Balloch - Singer return in the summer of 2002. Can still vividly remember the 314-esque interior & tatty Strathclyde Red/Black livery, over 15 years later...

High Dyke

Established Member
Deltic on the ECML, Grandad was a mainline driver on them. Otherwise a Derby heavyweight (Cl.114) or Cravens (Cl.105) DMU on local services. We also had a mixture of Class 31, 37 or 47 on loco hauled trains.

apk55

The old MSJ&A 1931 electrics on the Altrincham line. Many jerks and away they would still give the replacement metrolink trams a good challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.